cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pleasureway plateau XL and pursuit

alwaysjeff
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Hershey thurs and looked at all the class B's. We've been looking for the last few years and were happy with a Sprinter Leisure travel spirit FS or a Roadtrek CS. My DW after seeing the Pleasureway plateau Xl and Pursuit loves the dry baths and the "big" shower. Unless I force her she would really love one of these. We all know a happy wife is a happy life. Our main goal for a "travel van" is to see the USA , Canada and visit friends and family and be able to pull into my sons driveway in the woods where he lives and visit with him, my DIL and grandchildren without imposing on them in there smallish home. We are not campers but drivers and travelers. We like going to place to place and seeing the sites. We hate staying in hotels and motels. Her worst fear are bed bugs and dirty rooms. We've had our share of the later. We love the idea of being able to take the B and going to our destination and to just pull into a spot somewhere and going about and doing our thing. Maybe pulling into a camp ground every few days to empty and refill our tanks and relax for a day. I'm interested to hear from any Plateau xl or pursuit owners to how different it is having one these as opposed to a Sprinter Leisure travel spirit FS or a Roadtrek CS. Can it park in a regular city street spot? Is it hard finding a lot to park in in a crowded tourist town? Is it still a little stealthy like a Sprinter Leisure travel spirit FS or a Roadtrek CS. I'm aware it's not a true B but a B+ or some might even call it a class C. I have driven the Sprinter Leisure travel spirit FS or a Roadtrek CS but not a plateau Xl and Pursuit. How different do they drive. I know one is a Ford and one is a sprinter cut away. Any thoughts on that? Gas mileage will be a big difference. There is a big price difference too but that's not my main concern. Thanks for thoughts in advance.
18 REPLIES 18

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
This is definitely one reason for a "B". Not as dramatic as the tunnel, but there are some two lane highways near the Texas Renaissance Faire which 102 inches is taking up the complete lane and some in the center. Come a semi, one or the other vehicle will be in the ditch (no shoulder), or there will be a meeting of the mirrors.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
If you watch the video again showing the bus going into the tunnel, look at the lower part of the bus. Both sides are scraped but not the roof area. Some day I will take that drive but it will be in a class b. My wife saw the video and thinks I could get our 33ft Bounder through there. I tried to explain to her why I could not( using the limitations of our rig,namely tailswing and wheel cut) to no avail. I finally said it's never going to happen. Period!

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
Supposedly, no rig is legally allowed to be more than 102" wide, including mirrors. That's 8' 6".

What you don't know is if that 8'4" (100") is the absolute narrowest part, at what height, and accounts for rocks jutting out.

My van's spec lists it at 6'9" wide, but I don't think that includes the mirrors. I suspect they add another 6-7" total. Most B+ vans I looked at on the Promaster (like Viva or Trend) show 18" wider (9" on each side) so that is 8' 3" without mirrors or awning sticking out. Not sure I'd be brave enough to squeeze thru with only 1/2" on each side.
2016 Winnebago Travato 59K, 2017 Allegro 32SA
Follow my blog: www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: Class B Camper Vans

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
Those buses going through the Needles Highway are driven by people who have trained to do so. It is kind of a stunt show. At 8'-4" in width and if you have an awning stuck on the side it would take a miracle for a first time driver to get through in just about any Class C. One guy posted he got through with a B+ but only with scrapes to the body. I've driven through it a few times with a T1N and NC3V Sprinter Class B body with no problem and mirrors not tucked in.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
stan909 wrote:
Found on the YouTube.Remember curb feelers? I'd want roofline feelers. Bus in Needles tunnel .Heres a video of the complete drive. Needles Highway drive

He must have thought he was going to hit up top. Otherwise I don't understand the struggle. If you mirrors clear, you're gonna make it. The tail follows the head every time. ๐Ÿ˜‰

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
wincrasher65 wrote:
The only thing disappointing with the Plateu XL, Pursuit or Prestige is that for such a nice bathroom, they have such small tanks. So you are still taking Navy style showers, even though the shower is huge and impressive. Considering the huge amount of space under these RV's, I just don't get the small tanks.

The Pursuit water tanks are plenty big. When dry camping or trying to conserve water, we do take (thorough) navy showers. If we are getting ready to dump or have a sewer connection nearby, we use all the water we want. The grey water tank is good size and not the limiting factor I thought it would be. Tank size is not just a question of available space, weight, balance and carrying capacity all come into play.

The shower is a huge improvement over a wet bath.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
From the other end.I think a B+ can make it.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Found on the YouTube.Remember curb feelers? I'd want roofline feelers. Bus in Needles tunnel .Heres a video of the complete drive. Needles Highway drive

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
Whoa... WAIT!!

Tunnels: Tunnel 5 (Near Needle's Eye), 8' 4" wide by 12' 0" high;
Tunnel 6, 9' 0" wide by 12' 3" high,

Oh, okay, I misread that as 6' 9" wide instead of
Tunnel #6: 9' 0" wide.

Whew... my palms began sweating just reading (misreading) that width.

๐Ÿ˜ฎ
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'd pull in my mirrors even though I know I'm not too wide. 8'4" is not a lot to work with!

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a test. Drive the Needles Highway in the Black Hills. If you can make it you probably have a B. ๐Ÿ™‚ 8'-4" is the narrowest width. Don't forget if you have an awning on the side or don't fold in your mirrors you probably might not make it with a C or so called B+. Then if you can you have to drive with a very steady hand.

Needles Highway
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

erip
Explorer
Explorer
A b plus is not a b.. its a C .. trust me when you're trying to take one the many parkways that restrict trucks, your b plus will not be allowed. That's the beauty of a real b.. its just a passenger van.. for some of us who live in areas with lots of parkways, a real b.. is really a plus ๐Ÿ™‚
I went from a b to a b plus and this year back to a b.. and i save 40 minutes of driving time on every excursion out of town

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing disappointing with the Plateu XL, Pursuit or Prestige is that for such a nice bathroom, they have such small tanks. So you are still taking Navy style showers, even though the shower is huge and impressive. Considering the huge amount of space under these RV's, I just don't get the small tanks.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
We've traveled all the US and most of Canada in our Leisure Travel Class B and never felt the need to stay in a motel/hotel. We do use RV parks mostly, but often dry camp too. The wife has to be happy, but many are happy in Class Bs. Class Bs can't be beat for easy access to most destinations.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -