cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pulled the trigger on my first Class A.

bclinton
Explorer
Explorer
After several days of emailing the for sale sites and going back and forth I decided to take the offer an in state dealer had on 2017 Forest River Georgetown GT3. Will be picking it up next Monday. According to the dealer he is selling at invoice to get it off the lot. I picked it up for 75K. Got home and found a Demco tow dolly on a garage sale site for $1200. It is in great shape. Now to find out if I can install a metal cover on my second driveway at my house. First trip will be to Vegas in a couple of weeks. Any tips on how to calm the nerves? I pulled a 30 foot camper for many years and was fine. Just something about the size of the class A that is intimidating....
13 REPLIES 13

Roger_in_VERMON
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats It's always exciting to buy your first motorhome. Keep safe and Have Fun
๐Ÿ™‚ 2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!

bclinton
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Hoosier explained it better.
I meant that wire your Prius so it can tow the dolly with lights. Installing a trailer harness on Prius.
Dolly needs to have lights.Prius does not need lights when on dolly.

Thanks. That is what I plant to do.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Hoosier explained it better.
I meant that wire your Prius so it can tow the dolly with lights. Installing a trailer harness on Prius.
Dolly needs to have lights.Prius does not need lights when on dolly.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bclinton
Explorer
Explorer
hoosiermark wrote:
Adding the tow hitch to the Prius will let you move the dolly around the camp site if need be. It will also let you unhook on the road and move the dolly if you get into an area you cannot go forward with the rv in. (small road, bad curves,etc) sort of a cheap insurance policy and mighty handy even at home sometimes.

Never thought of that. That's a great idea. Thanks!

hoosiermark
Explorer
Explorer
Adding the tow hitch to the Prius will let you move the dolly around the camp site if need be. It will also let you unhook on the road and move the dolly if you get into an area you cannot go forward with the rv in. (small road, bad curves,etc) sort of a cheap insurance policy and mighty handy even at home sometimes.

jamesroadking
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 40 ft. class A, now have a 30 ft toy hauling trailer.
The class A is easier to drive. The only problem I had was backing up with a small trailer attached.

bclinton
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Best wishes on your new rig! You will find it much easier to drive then you expect.
Install a small trailer hitch and wiring on your toad. Makes it easy to move dolly around.

So when you say wiring... What is recommended? I will be towing a prius. I was thinking that having the auto light somehow connected would be better...

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whoโ€™s โ€œintimidatingโ€ you and rattlinโ€™ your nerves other than YOU? Have fun in Vegas in your new RV! Welcome!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Best wishes on your new rig! You will find it much easier to drive then you expect.
Install a small trailer hitch and wiring on your toad. Makes it easy to move dolly around.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Congrats!
Nothing more fun than starting a new camping season with a new rig.

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 on Class A easier. Towed a 31' fifth wheel and would choose the class A for ease and comfort. Even with the tow dolly. I towed 4 down, but that was my choice. Congratulations and wishing you and your family many fun, filled miles.

bclinton
Explorer
Explorer
polly sue wrote:
The class A is easier!!

I hope you're right! ๐Ÿ™‚

polly_sue
Explorer
Explorer
The class A is easier!!