cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Purchasing a new class A

rapidrrk
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to purchase my first class A motorhome. Any thoughts as to which are the best value and which mfgs. to stay away from?
29 REPLIES 29

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
rapidrrk wrote:
To clarify:
My wife and our three small dogs are shopping for a used gas, 30' to 35' class A for weekends or 3-4 day trips within 200 miles and towing a vehicle. Our budget is $75-100K. Previously looking at Itaska/Winne or Tiffin. Are we going in the correct direction?

I was thinking when you said 'new' you meant 'new to you' which is just fine. To me, it looks like your parameters are in check.

Have you driven a RV before?

Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
There is no guarantee that so so brand is not going to give you problems. I have seen real expensive coaches that are a piece of trash, and then again I have seen entry level coaches that have come out to be pretty good coaches. So there is no real formula as to which is better then?

Now there are some real nice coaches manufactured now days. They look nice and expensive, but it is mechanical and they do break down.

If money is no object I will give you some brands that have a history of having a good reputation because of the owners to these companies.

1. Tiffin
2. Newmar
3. American coach lines (Fleetwood)
4. Foretravel
5. Monaco
6. Forest River
7. Thor

Now these are not necessarily in order as to which is best because like I posted before that the best would be the one that does not give you much problems.

Just about everybody here in this forum or any other forum will be biased towards what they own. So I would take their recommendation with a grain of salt.

What I suggest is for you to do your own research and buy what you like, not what Joe wants you to buy.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
Well with THAT definition mine is your perfect rig! LOL You will be going old enough that the orphan factor is irrelevant and for the buck National made great units.

As others have stated though go spend time sitting in and moving around in motorhomes to see how the floorplan works for you. That includes lay down on the bed, can you with the slide in? Is that important to YOU. Almost everything any of us tell you has to be weighed against what is important to YOU and even more to your spouse! :B
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

krivanj
Explorer
Explorer
I don't agree at all with Effy's ranking concerning Fleetwood. I have had four coaches and think they should be up with Newmar and ahead of Tiffin. My opinion, but their factory help is right up there the last couple years. Especially American, a division of Fleetwood. Tiffin is good at taking care of you, but everyone I know (4 coaches) in the last to years have ended up at the factory for two or more weeks to get stuff fixed.
Fleetwood Revolution LE 38X
2011 Scion TC toad

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Yes
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

rapidrrk
Explorer
Explorer
To clarify:
My wife and our three small dogs are shopping for a used gas, 30' to 35' class A for weekends or 3-4 day trips within 200 miles and towing a vehicle. Our budget is $75-100K. Previously looking at Itaska/Winne or Tiffin. Are we going in the correct direction?

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I think the focus of the question was around a ranking of manufacturers:

Aside from high dollar custom conversions the ranking generally comes in at:
Newmar
Tiffin
Winnebago
Forest River
Fleetwood, and Thor rounding out.

Some would argue to slide one above another or vice versa but I think that's about the general consensus. Price reflects what level you will get in a particular brand. Newmar's entry level model will be far more expensive than Thor's for example. Some quality differences as well. But if you want to spend less, generally you get less. Nothing wrong with that on either end of the spectrum provided it's an educated decision. So you might want to go with Tiffin's entry level when you could buy Forest Rivers mid line at the same price. Just know that there will be less bling and more quality.

But a TON of other factors to consider as others have said. Floorplan is more important than brand.

The best place to start any RV search is floorplan. Pick a floorplan and THEN find a brand that has it in a year you are looking for, on a chassis you are looking for in a price point you want to pay. This will start to whittle your choices. Then you will see that ABC's brand of the same floorplan is considerably more or less money and more or less quality than XYZ's.

Again more decisions, maybe you like ABC's quality over XYZ's but can't afford the price. Then you shop for older models. etc etc.

Took me 5 years to finally find a model I wanted in a price I could afford. A year later I bought another floorplan I liked better but wasn't available when I bought my first one. Now another floorplan comes out and looking to trade again. Point is, there is no right answer here and you will get a million opinions on what to buy.

Research, due diligence, experience and mistakes will guide you to your right MH.
2013 ACE 29.2

Retiredblade
Explorer
Explorer
Why buy new? Depreciates driving off of the lot, then your stuck with high payments. Many a folks have bought new, nice and shinny, then it ends up being a repo. Buy a good used one, save your self a lot of money. My humble opinion.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
my first cut is no rubber roof.
bumpy

WTD44
Explorer
Explorer
As many have said, buy a little used Diesel Pusher-38-40 feet with at least 2 slides; but you can get 4 for the nearly same price. MAKE SURE that you deal with the owner, that he has all the service records, and he shows pride in ownership. You can tell from just looking at the moho. You can find a 3 to 5 year old coach for around 2/3rds to 1/2 what they originally cost. If you take your time and are willing to travel a bit, you should be able to find ANY brand that you are interested in and most floor plans. YES, it is easier to just go by a new one or a used one off of a lot, but that will cost you money n the long run. Go to CraigsList, put in the area you are close to, and you will be surprised at how many moho's are listed. Buy the biggest you can afford, and you will be glad you did a few years down the road. AND save some $$

Wayne07Scepter (for sale)
'07 H.R. Scepter > P A Q
Cummins 400 ISL
Alison 6 speed World
08 CR-V
Wife and,
Sparky the Wonder Dog

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
New is going to take a big hit in depreciation right off the bat! Unless you can find a super deal off MSRP!

Be very careful deciding on size you want, many on here can vouch for getting too small for the first one and having to get bigger after a few years! How many slideouts do you want or need. gas or diesel?

Also the type of traveling you are going to do: ie: RV resorts always, State parks or COE campgrounds, National Parks, boondocking!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just went through this in the last year+ - twice. I don't recommend buying new if you've never done RVing before. We bought a cheap older class A in decent shape and did a few short trips and one long one. We figured we could sell it within a few years and not lose much money, and certainly less than it would have cost to rent something for the same period.

From our starter bus experiment, we developed a must-have and a nice-to-have list for the next MH. Then we started looking for #2. The must have list contained diesel, levelers and a slide-out. The nice-to-have list was a nice shower, a washer/dryer combo, and 2 roof A/Cs. The MH we got had all this except the slide-out. The layout of the Sahara is roomy enough without one.

We'll do the whole thing maybe one more time. We'll take some longer trips, spend more time on the road and make a must have list for the next bus. There are people who buy their last MH the first time, but they do a lot of research (over a year looking at endless ads and going to shows). I'm too impatient for that so we jumped in as cheaply as we could.

Edit: Craig's List is your friend.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you had any type of RV previously?
Make a good list of what you want in the rig> shower or tub? genset? 120 volt water heater element?
How long? What kind of sleeping accommodations? Is this for long term residence or just 2-3 week trips?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Karen has excellent questions.

Also, do you want to buy new or used?

I did notice the topic is 'purchasing a new class A' but maybe you should clarify if 'new' or 'new to you'.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

KarenS144
Explorer
Explorer
There are so many choices out there. research. Research. RESEARCH.

Gas or diesel?

What length?

What options?

Are you towing another vehicle?

Are you full timing, a weekend warrior or somewhere in between?

What sort of camping do you want to do & where?

How many people will stay with you? Do you have pets?

How much will what you put in it weigh? Think cargo capacity.

What is your budget?

You can usually buy a better quality used motor home for the same or less than a new one.

Now..with all that typed out... The Thor Palazzo is one that gets a lot of complaints. I have no personal knowledge about them though.

What models are you looking at?
Karen
Paoli, IN

Traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433
with 1 Hubby and 2 Boxers!