cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Show stopper" road probems

WTD44
Explorer
Explorer
When I was younger we traveled all over the lower 48 and never gave breakdowns a thought, just fixed them and kept going. Now that I am an old geezer and can't do the stuff I used to do, we are somewhat hesitant to just take off and go where ever.

And, mo-ho's are so much more complex now, that finding a competent repair person in The Middle Of No-where is hard to do. So, we stick to traveling fairly close to home and in areas where we know of good RV shops. This has become a bit boring as we would still like to strike out for "parts unknown"

What do others do to overcome the fear of break-downs where there is no help available.
'07 H.R. Scepter > P A Q
Cummins 400 ISL
Alison 6 speed World
08 CR-V
Wife and,
Sparky the Wonder Dog
22 REPLIES 22

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
We have God Sam road side assistance and the medical deal, if we or the RV or toad brake down they will come and get us the RV and toad on a tow and the wife on an ambulance or chopper, my carcass on a wheel barrel maybe.

navegator

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Pawz4me wrote:
Coach-Net roadside assistance.

+1
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I carry a cell phone, Two CB's (Well 3 if I count the Hand Held that has no batteries in it) and multiple Ham Radios (Extra class license) and a debit card.

That way no matter happens, If I am alive and able to move (ME not the motor home) I can summon help.

Basically there is no place in this country where I can not contact someone and have them relay a call for assistance. At least no place above ground.

SO, when about 50 miles or so from where I am right now the engine went BOOM and threw a rod... I called the sheriff, who gave me the number of a tow company, who came and got me, delivered me to a shop, where I got an estimanet, and another tow company brought me back to the park and I am saving up $$$ for the new engine.. 1-2 years I should have it.

Of all the places to break down

Southern GA does get below freezing but not often below 20, Rig is rated to 20 with either the modifications I made (electric) or furnace heating the tanks and lines.

I am 20-30 miles from Darling Daughter, Son in law and newly minted Grandson.

I am perhaps 5 miles from one of the Parishes (Church) where I have been invited to sing in the choir and perhaps 200-300 yards from another church where I sing in the choir and soon will do a solo (Yes on the same campus as the RV park) and I have friends here in the park.

So.. If I could pick a place to break down.. This would be it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
WTD44 wrote:
What do others do to overcome the fear of break-downs where there is no help available.

Coach-Net roadside assistance.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can sit at home and worry OR I can go enjoy and deal with the 'what ifs'....IF/when it happens.

In the mean time I'm enjoying not worrying
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm 71, and motorhome breakdowns are just something I deal with when they occur. They're not something I worry about in advance beyond having a good emergency road service plan. Over the years with various RV's, I've had a blown engine, a blown transmission, and a blown rear end assembly, all of which required major repairs when we were nowhere near anyplace where we knew anyone or any repair shops. Our road service has always found quality shops for us that were able to make the repairs as quickly and cost effectively as practical. Sure, we lost as much as two weeks of our trip, but since we're seldom on a planned schedule anyway, that didn't matter much. Of course, we've had other more minor issues along the way, but again, we just dealt with them as needed, either on the spot or when we were settled in for a bit somewhere, depending on the issue.

As I see it, worrying about what might happen is a waste of energy, since there's no way to plan for all contingencies anyway. Do your preventative maintenance on schedule and enjoy your RV as it was meant to be enjoyed!
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
there is nothing on your motor home that is not on any other vehicle on the road. Only thing different on a MO HO is access to components.
Just maintain it like any other vehicle. Before you head out check brakes tires fan belts etc.
Any time you are out of town it is roll of the dice on quality and honesty of service you are going to find. A big fancy sign or a corporate chain on a garage only means that the owner can afford the franchise fees,nothing more.
Get going and enjoy yourself.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, I'm only 65 so I'm not eligible for geezerhood yet but I don't worry about it. Rarely are you totally out of touch, what with cell phones and such.

And if you do find yourself in such a state, well that's life. You do what you can and prepare, but sometimes stuff just happens. Worry won't stop it so it's best to just get on with life.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"