cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real world cost of owning a class c - ouch!

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
I just sold my class c after 7 years of ownership. Since I have all records and an accurate depreciation cost (buy-sell) I thought I would calculate the real world cost of use.

The costs outlined below include everything related to the rv itself. The costs DO NOT include campgrounds or other vacation expenses.

I bought in 2007 and got a great deal with a good discount. We vacationed exclusively in the RV while we had it
- owned it for 7 years
- drove it 68,500 miles
- generator had 455 hours
- used it for 455 nights over the 7 year period

The total cost over 7 years including depreciation, insurance, license, storage, maintenance, and fuel was about $87,000
- $12,900 / year
- $192 / night
- $1.28 / mile

A motorhome is absolutely the best way to travel but obviously not the most economical.
53 REPLIES 53

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
EMD360,

Thanks a lot for your outstanding RV'ing cost summary above!

I try to always read your posts whenever I run across them ... as it seems like you use your Itasca 22 footer similar to the way we use our Itasca 24 footer ... including daring to go off paved roads with it. We've also been living in ours now for about 2 1/2 months in the back yard while the house is being remodeled ... which is saving us a TON of motel and eat-out money.

P.S. No, you're not the ony one having fun dumping money into an RV. We did, and do, the same. But if one thinks RVs cost a lot of $$$ - try a new kitchen, new windows, adding hardwood floors, and a new fireplace on for size. 😞

...and then there's boats....or....

.........race cars. Want to know how to make a small fortune in auto racing? Start with a large fortune.

We have a ton of fun with the RV and where it gets us. No regrets at all even given the pile of money involved.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Cousin_Eddie93
Explorer
Explorer
For this year so far I've spent $2,910 on RV repairs and maintenance and gas totaling 2086 miles with 26 days camped enjoyed in rig. Might add another grand for camping, food and hookup fees to that but all in all, a 26 day vacation at 4 grand can't be beat.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bordercollie wrote:
EMD360's list of "stuff" for the motorhome is extensive, wonder what the weight of our "stuff" adds to the weight of our rig? Taking a lot of stuff also takes up scarce storage and cabinet space especially in short rigs. Just "musing"!

Weight is of no concern to us because our small Class C is on the same Ford chassis as 31-32 foot long Class C rigs, so we can load it up to the brim. We bought it with that chassis on purpose so weight, engine cooling, braking under all conditions, pulling power, and traveling stability would be of no concern relative to it's overall size and weight no matter how we could possibly load it. I call this having "chassis overkill".

Ours happens to be a basement design with tall outside storage cabinets, with two of them even running laterally across the width of the motorhome between it's steel floor and the chassis frame members. We use these for long items such as shovels, limb pruners, fishing poles, beach umbrellas, etc..

We like to carry everything with us all the time so we are ready for any type of RV adventure whenever we leave home. We try not to have to plan our RV equipment loading based on any particular destination ... so that we can change/add destinations and activities while on the road. For instance, we always carry cold weather air bubble insulation blankets for all the windows all the time even during summer travel - while also always carrying a 12 volt system extension cord for our portable Fantastic fan so we can have it blowing on us when sitting outside under the awning drycamping in hot weather.

However one way RV weight can become a little dicey for us is when we load up the interior floors with rocks so we can't sit in the dinette or get through to the bathroom - the chassis can handle the weight - but we can't handle the "volume". 😉
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
EMD360's list of "stuff" for the motorhome is extensive, wonder what the weight of our "stuff" adds to the weight of our rig? Taking a lot of stuff also takes up scarce storage and cabinet space especially in short rigs. Just "musing"!

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
No kidding Phil,

We share a unique approach to RV'ing and glad to have your company along the way. This summer, because we are new to Colorado, we reserved several state park weekends. Boy are we spoiled with wilderness camping though. Hope to get back to it more next season or even this winter if we drive off to AZ for some sunshine.

We are remodeling too, moved all our stuff to the garage, but have two bedrooms to live in, one we decked out with a dorm fridge and microwave plus a few small appliances. But we find we use the RV fridge and stove rather often. And I've been reading about using the generator if the electricity goes off.

Hard to quantify that kind of cost benefit!
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
EMD360,

Thanks a lot for your outstanding RV'ing cost summary above!

I try to always read your posts whenever I run across them ... as it seems like you use your Itasca 22 footer similar to the way we use our Itasca 24 footer ... including daring to go off paved roads with it. We've also been living in ours now for about 2 1/2 months in the back yard while the house is being remodeled ... which is saving us a TON of motel and eat-out money.

P.S. No, you're not the ony one having fun dumping money into an RV. We did, and do, the same. But if one thinks RVs cost a lot of $$$ - try a new kitchen, new windows, adding hardwood floors, and a new fireplace on for size. 😞
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Just a very interesting part of owning an RV is the cost-benefit. Especially good info for those of us who started knowing NOTHING about owning an RV.

I kept very detailed cost records the first couple of years including all the wonderful junk I bought for comfort and coolness in the campground. I like to look back and see how I spent money on this hobby. Most of which I would not do differently.

Our initial investment was $21,720 with smog, insurance and license.
Spent an additional $553 on "stuff". Leave out the gas money, the time spent in campgrounds that cost us fees (very limited in AZ much more so across country and now in Colorado!) and you have the "other category" that has not been mentioned yet. So here I go...for your enlightenment if you are not keeping track. 🙂

RV Equipment and Supplies--first 3 months

PO recommendations
RV.net for research and advice (used this one before purchase) Priceless
Good Sam emergency road insurance $80
Spray bottle with bleach water for filling tank/hooking up water (reused/had)
Water filter for hose end (waterfilters.net) $20
Pressure regulator (came with)
Extra potable (white) water hose (Walmart) $10

Recommended on RV.net (especially Class C FAQ and Mods threads)
Device for filling RV water tank--(Built this, flexible plastic pipe w hose connector that fits into the tank inlet, I added a shut off valve) $2
2 5000# Scissor jacks for stabilizing $70 ebay
Wheel chocks $8 Walmart
Solid plastic leveling blocks $10 Craigslist
Plastic containers for storage in cabinets $10 Big Lots
Plastic drawers for closet $15 Big Lots
Plastic bins/organizers for drawers $1 Big Lots
Spring loaded curtain rods for kitchen cabinets to keep items from shifting/falling out after travel $4 Big Lots
Bubble level for refrigerator (had this)
Remote min/max thermometer for refrigerator $10 Ace Hardware
Battery powered small vacuum $40 Target
Long handled window washer w/squeegee $8 Walmart
Lightweight propane grill $20 Lowes (replaced with Weber 100 on clearance at Target--$80)
Outdoor kitchen-- lightest weight and most collapsible folding camping table I could find $100 Meiers
Extend a Flow gas connection for grill (ebay) $30 ebay
Grill lighter for stove/grill (Big Lots) $1 Big Lots
Indoor/Outdoor 12 volt rechargable LED work light (Big Lots) $20 Big Lots
Enzyme black tank treatment stuff $10 RV Show
Scot single ply TP/Calgon water softener $4
Automotive pocket storage panel (Hang in closet for hats/umbrellas/etc.) $6 Big Lots
Meguiers Marine Wax (Switched to floor wax for fiberglass--Zep) $15 Outdoor World
Tire Pressure Guage Truck Tire $4 Auto Supply
Bounce dryer sheets (various uses--cleans insect yuck from hood and grill) $3 Walmart

Camping stuff we moved to the RV did not cost extra money but would if we had not had it.
(Backpacking/Kayak camping stuff for small RV with little carrying capacity)
Lexan dinnerware set for 4 with lexan silverware and Lexan French Press
Kitchen essentials--packed in a small nylon shaving kit size bag: (Salt/Pepper, small leatherman, pot lifters, mini pot holder, paring knife, spatula, pancake flipper matches,etc. )
Nested stainless steel pots, aluminum coffeepot
Lightweight camp chairs(2)--lightest full size that we could find~6 lbs each
Flashlights and compass
First Aid Kit
Pack Towels (fake chamois) including a new large one for the bathroom $4
Sleeping Bags (use for blankets)
Binoculars and Spotting scope
Walking Staffs
Small outdoor gas stove
Sunglasses
A few large pop open window shades for cab windows
Flyswatter
Small kite
12 v and 110 v extension cords
Backpack for hiking

More stuff we moved to the RV
18v light and drill w bits
Toolbox
Scissors/pencils/notepad
Regular towels
pot holders
Rain jackets/umbrellas/hats
Cleaning supplies
Kitchen timer

Miscellaneous new stuff added after the initial items

Kitchen utensils with measuring cups/spoons (Big Lots) $5
Pillows (Big Lots) $5
Toiletries for RV (including sun block/lotion) $5
Broom and dustpan (Target) $3
Bucket, toilet brush, and sponges (Big Lots) $5
Foam floor tiles to protect the shower area for storing a box of firewood/folding bikes/grill at night (my idea--Big Lots) $5
WD 40 (small can-Big Lots) $2
Bungees (Big Lots) $5
Entry mat (Big Lots) $3
Small foldable step stool (Walmart) $10

Total $553

In the next year or two we spent an extra $4500 on repairs, equipment and maintenance.

Additional equipment

Insulated curtain to shut off cab in colder weather & windows $40 Reflexic/Home Depot
Solar panel and inverter (have but need to install) $30 Amazon
Foldable table $79 Target
Good tire pressure gauge $4 Auto Supply
Extra fuses $7 Auto Supply
3M Dual lock velcro $5 Target
Water "bandit" connection for non-standard water sources $4 RVWholesalers.com.
Grill cleaning brush $3 Lowes
Lexan Wine Goblets $3 Target
RV outdoor mat $40.47
Backup camera and monitor $100.00 Various--ebay, Overstock
Extra 12 v outlets $3.52 RV Direct
Wire for extra 12v outlet $20.00 Home Depot
Hitch rack/storage $65 Harbor Freight
Large locking plastic box for storage rack $50 Home Depot
12 volt Electric slow cooker $25 Amazon
Interior level indicators $3 RVDirect
Pole to extend cell antenna $6 Big Lots
Cell phone antenna $30 ebay
Battery storage box and strap $15 Salvage and RVDirect
Cell phone booster and accessories $220 ebay
Lite Cylinder Fiberglass Propane tank $90 Garden.com
Weber 100 grill $79 Target
Fancy lightweight towels $40 Online
Extra folding chairs $10 West Marine
Swing arm mount for TV $20 Amazon
Portable DVD player $50 Frys
Tools for RV (moved toolbox to RV) $50 Mesa Flea Market
Portable flourescent fixture $4 Target
Outdoor light strings (Solar LED) $20 Target

RV Repair
Enternabond--to patch/prevent leaks $129 RoofingSupplyUSA.com
Dicor Lap Sealant--Proflex caulk $26 RVWholesalers.com.
Materials to repair rear end $75 Home DepotRV

Storage

Small plastic drawers $14 Big Lots
Plastic Containers $8
Document Folders $12
Closet shelf $9
3M hooks $14
Plastic Shoe boxes for Bed area $20
More 3M hooks $3 Home Depot Clearance

RV Enhancements

350 amp inverter $25 Harbor Freight
100 amp battery shut off $10 Harbor Freight
Interstate DC100 batteries $150 Used Craigslist
Blue Sea 4 way switch $45 West Marine
Various cables $100 AutoZone and West Marine

LED Lightbulbs $150 Revolution LED/HitchingPost
Versiliner Wheel cover lug nuts $40 Replaced lost nuts
Wheel Covers $33 Amazon

Total $1,979

Required Maintenance

Air Filter $15 Autozone
G rated tires w brass stems $1,200 Discount Tire
Coolant change $60 Autozone
New Thermostat $15 Autozone
Oil/Filter Change $70 Autozone
Generator parts (air filter/spark plug/fuel filter)
Generator New Carb $329 Precision Motors Mesa, AZ
303 Aerospace Protectant $30 West Marine
Aerospace fabric protector $30 West Marine
License 2012 $200 AZ
Insurance to 2012 $500 Hartford
Smog to 2012 $20 AZ

Total $2,469

We have slowed down a lot in keeping records but later additions to our RV lifestyle included these costs--stopped noting oil change, generator maintenance, and licensing/insurance costs. These additions total another $2500 at least.

Added Later

Lightweight hammock/portable stand $79 rvtoy outlet
Air bake cookie sheet for oven/or grill storage $12
Sewage dual flush pro $30 Amazon This got lost/stolen!
Black & Decker VEC1093DBD Smart Battery 40/20/10/4 Amp Battery Charger $120 ebay
Assorted pkg of automotive Fuses both full size and mini $20
Foldable chip table $8 rvtoy outlet
Extra folding chairs (4) $28 Home Depot
Portable air compressor (DEWALT D55140 1-Gallon 135 PSI Max) $120 Amazon
Air compressor tools--tire gauge filler/air hammer wrench/dust blower/quick connects $30 Harbor Freight
"Swamp" cooler fan with ice holder $30 Cabellas
Fantastic Vent Endless Breeze Fan $60 Camping World
Coleman "folding suitcase" tables $79 Target
Child protection holders for doors/drawers $15 Target
Oxygenics shower head $25 Amazon
"Skid" wheels set 1 $30 Amazon
"Skid" wheels set 2 $50 Amazon
Kwikee Steps (replaced broken steps) $350 pplmotorhomes.com
Propane coffee maker $60 Sierra Trading Post
Manual coffee grinder $15 Amazon
Spring loaded refrigerator bar holders
Folding ladder/small 120 volt vacuum/fire starters/toilet deodorizer $50 Craigslist
Jack tv antenna (replaced broken) $50 Camping World
Camco Tri Levelers $35 Amazon
Replacement gray water valve $15 Amazon
Replacement Carbon Monoxide Alarm $58 Amazon
Replacement LP gas detector $53 Amazon
Replacement Awning Puller $12 Amazon
15 gallon Drinking water bottle $12 Water Store
Dolphin manual pump for water bottle $14 Amazon
New water pump $75 Amazon
Fixed vent lids blown off in storm $25 Camping World
Vent covers and parts for lids $100 Amazon
Replacement air vent for bathroom (wind vent type) and broken door holder $24 Amazon
Replacement cup holder $5 Amazon
Replacement tires on recall plus 2 new $520 Discount Tire
Replacement truck battery $180 Autozone
Replacement house battery $80 Walmart

Total $2,469

Plus the awning still needs to be replaced. Maybe just the material, or maybe the springs and tube so another expense coming up.

All in all, the costs for the RV are at least $7500 over original investment and that is not counting gas/oil or fees for use. Am I the only one who buys all this stuff? I'm an RV junkie I guess.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

bukzin
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this link on costs to own and live in a Class A bus.

This covers a number of years of fulltime travel.

Very detailed.

http://www.technomadia.com/the-finances-how-to-afford-it/
2006 Monaco Diplomat 41'
Cummins 400hp ISL CM850

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
For us the money wasn't so much the ultimate issue, it was so the family could spend time together visiting as much of America as time/funds and God allowed us. You never know when it's all going away so we're trying to enjoy our MH while we're able and not be slaves to the expense, especially when we knew it was going to be costly going in. We've been to all lower 48 in the ten years since we bought it (new) and I maintain it religiously and have been fortunate to have a garage to keep it parked in when not in use. If the money to buy and travel expenses are your main concern, then you won't have nearly as much fun as RVs are intended to provide. But that's just me.

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
wincrasher65 wrote:
Everybody has their moments when they wonder if they are spending too much on RVing. It doesn't matter if it's the guy with the popup complaining he only get 15 mpg pulling it, or the guy in the $350k DP saying he's only getting 5 mpg pulling his $75k Hummer. Boo-hoo.

I don't have much sympathies for people fretting about the cost of RVing. Do your research and only buy an RV that fits your budget and what you are comfortable with in ongoing expense. Over-buying or buying too much rig for your use or budget sucks all the joy out of the experience. It's not a contest. Buy what fits you.

In the case of the OP, he's taken quite the hit on depreciation - primarily because he had the good fortune of using his RV so much. That is a lot of miles for a used rig. I can find lightly used ones with 10k miles or less all day long. It's part of the cost of ownership - if you use it to the fullest, it's gonna get wear and that will effect the residual value. I say kudos to him! Many folks just park their RV's because they are too costly to run.

I am the original poster and was actually surprised at how little depreciation I paid over the life of the vehicle - I thought I was dialed in on the costs until I looked back objectively at what I actually spent.

I didn't post to discuss affordability or any other justification for RVing but rather to highlight what these things ACTUALLY cost! I posted entirely for the benefit of others - as for me - I would do it all again!

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
You could say this is a case where "your millage may very".
Ours is an older 2000 Class C.

Last year we spent $500.00 maintenance - brake job
including 2 rotors replaced by local trucking center.

Insurance was $261.00 - Progressive

Tax - title $150.00

Total $911.00

Normal MPG pulling a dolly with CRV - 8.5 MPG
Costs very per trip.

You have to eat anywhere you go so that is not an added expense.
We usually spend less in the RV because the fix out own more often.

Campgrounds are less expensive then hotel/motels.
So there is an added savings.

We just spent 3 weeks on the river in La. at my daughter's home.
It costs us fuel to get there and to stock up one what we wanted to eat.

A Hotel/motel in the area would have been $3100 plus gas to get there,
plus food, plus gas to visit my daughter if we did not have the RV.

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
Everybody has their moments when they wonder if they are spending too much on RVing. It doesn't matter if it's the guy with the popup complaining he only get 15 mpg pulling it, or the guy in the $350k DP saying he's only getting 5 mpg pulling his $75k Hummer. Boo-hoo.

I don't have much sympathies for people fretting about the cost of RVing. Do your research and only buy an RV that fits your budget and what you are comfortable with in ongoing expense. Over-buying or buying too much rig for your use or budget sucks all the joy out of the experience. It's not a contest. Buy what fits you.

In the case of the OP, he's taken quite the hit on depreciation - primarily because he had the good fortune of using his RV so much. That is a lot of miles for a used rig. I can find lightly used ones with 10k miles or less all day long. It's part of the cost of ownership - if you use it to the fullest, it's gonna get wear and that will effect the residual value. I say kudos to him! Many folks just park their RV's because they are too costly to run.
2016 Winnebago Travato 59K, 2017 Allegro 32SA
Follow my blog: www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: Class B Camper Vans

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Amount of usage and enjoyment of an RV is an important factor. When somebody buys an RV, they are likely to use it for camping or touring more frequently the first couple of years, but later, then the number of uses per year may diminish for various reasons to where the rig is sitting parked most of the time while tires and exterior finish weather and rig may suffer maintenance wise. Trying to justify an initial cost of $30-100K, and continuing costs of maintenance and usage versus touring by car and staying in hotels and/or airline fares is unrealistic. Are RV camping/touring memories really more priceless than other family activities ? It's an individual thing and depends a lot on you and members of your family.

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
The 'smartest' money play is not to own an RV.

This.

If you don't have at least $3000 a year to put into your RV use then you shouldn't bother with RVing.

We use our RV about once a month. Figure $150 a month in gas, and $90 a month in storage.

That's $2880 a year with no other expenses considered, such site fees and "camper food", insurance, etc. We probably have about $1000 a year in repairs in our 1990 Winnebago keeping it on the road. This year it was the engine water pump. Last year it was the fuel pump. Year before that it was the cab AC. Next year it will be tires.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"