cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

real world fuel mileage

pump-dump-go
Explorer
Explorer
Checking to see about fuel mileage on your Class C, with or without toad.
32 REPLIES 32

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
There oughta be a banner at the top of this forum, "CLASS C'S GET AVG 9 MPG".

There are many more important cost and other factors to consider.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itasca Cambria 30ft. towing Jeep last trip 250 miles each way to mule days in Bishop,Ca. Going there, 6.3 with windy conditions, coming home 8.3. Always get better mileage leaving Bishop down

the 395. Once I am on flat ground the tow haul mode comes off, 60 mph max or CHP will remind you . Vegas trip was 7.5 with toad,both ways. Doesn't seem to matter having toad behind me.

Pulling a 20ft. trailer loaded with race car parts kills the mileage, down to 5 from Phoenix, feels like Im pulling a parachute.

pump-dump-go
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome, thanks for the info. ๐Ÿ™‚

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago Via 25T on Mercedes Sprinter chassis: 15 to 16 mpg in the mountains and hills of Colorado, and 17 to 18 mpg in the flatlands.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B

Taco
Explorer
Explorer
E450 32 ft class c. I get 7 mpg pretty much every fill up. No more no less

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
27' 1988 Class C (11K lbs), 460cid, 4BBL; towing 3 jet skiis (standup, 2 seater, 3 seater, +40 extra gallons of fuel) @ 60-65mph = 6.5 MPG.

Same rig towing a 16' enclosed trailer with 4 ATVs & 1 Motorcycle +25 extra gallons of fuel), about 4000lbs @ 60-65mph = 6 MPG.

By itself without either trailer, I can get about 7.5 MPG.

Generator use (for roof A/C) doesn't seem to make a measurable difference, but numbers can vary up or down by 0.5-1.0 depending on wind.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

fltioga898
Explorer
Explorer
1996 born free 24 ft , 460 ford w 103 k mi. I get 9.5 w ac running at 60-65 mph and 9.9 w/o ac. No tow vehicle.

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
Now have 57,000 miles on my Jayco Greyhawk with the Ford E450 chassis and V-10 engine. My overall MPG average is 7.7 MPG towing a car 99% of the time. That's with driving rather conservatively, about 57/58 MPH on the Interstates and secondary highways where there is a 55 MPH speed limit.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
pump-dump-go wrote:
Thanks for the input, I guess I'll continue my search for a Class A, seems like the fuel mileage is not that bad considering the extra room we will enjoy.
Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚
There are a few small diesel pushers under 30 feet long. THIS SALES GUY claims one of his used 2011s gets 16-18 mpg. Though I don't believe him, actual fuel economy could still be quite high. It is a Tiffin Allegro Breeze. If I were to consider a class A, I'd put that one on my list to research.

One serious problem I have with diesels in general is the smell. I understand the small Sprinter diesel since around 2007 doesn't smell due to the current-day pollution controls, but are diesel pushers of the same age equipped the same? That old diesel smell gags me serious. My sister in law with asthma gets an attack from conventional diesel fumes. My wife can't stand it either. She would never agree to a smelly diesel solely because of the odor.

chaeworld
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Winniebago Minnie Winnie 29B
E450 V10 no TOAD yet.
7-9 MPG if I am driving 55 or 75
Have a 2002 Nissan Altima and just bought a used Maxey tow bar.
So pulling a car is soon . I don't have a clue what it will do to the mileage.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
tpi wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
Is it just me or do you all experience nature's head wind regardless of direction? I'll look out a side window at tall grass far from the road and the wind always leans it into the direction we are coming from. We head west to go on vacation and we have a head wind. Weeks later we are going back home and sure enough, we have a head wind again.

Murphy's Law! ๐Ÿ˜ž

Probably partly because side winds are not good for fuel economy either (love that feeling of the steering cranked into the wind :E). Odds are we're getting unfavorable wind direction. It has to be a nearly pure tailwind to help us along.

Correct. If you are having to correct the steering for a crosswind component you are scuffing the tires which is friction. I've driven with a good tailwind and the mileage increase can be epic...like 2 MPG for me for a good stiff tailwind.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
Is it just me or do you all experience nature's head wind regardless of direction? I'll look out a side window at tall grass far from the road and the wind always leans it into the direction we are coming from. We head west to go on vacation and we have a head wind. Weeks later we are going back home and sure enough, we have a head wind again.

Murphy's Law! ๐Ÿ˜ž

Probably partly because side winds are not good for fuel economy either (love that feeling of the steering cranked into the wind :E). Odds are we're getting unfavorable wind direction. It has to be a nearly pure tailwind to help us along.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Around 15 and with the toad take off about 1 mpg. The wind gets a huge vote.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
2004 E450 V10 28 Feet 8.4 MPG over 37,000 miles.