cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommended tools for a newbie

CdnRoadee23
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to the Class A world, in the midst of buying my first one and would appreciate suggestions from the community on what the recommended tools, accessories (extention cords, spare sewage and water hoses etc) and safety items I should buy to be as prepared as possible. Thanks in advance.
16 REPLIES 16

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I have been caught with out the tool that I needed. Went to the hard ware store and purchased the necessary tool. The cost of the tool is far less than paying some one for the repair. Then you can toss the tool in the trash and still be ahead........

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
If it moves but it should not, Duct Tape.
If it won't move bit it should, WD-40.

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
Something I hadn't seen mentioned is a tray of different amp fuses and needle nose pliers to get them in and out. Jumper cables, and electric tire air pump, a battery charger and at least 2 water pressure regulators, an tv antenna extension cable that goes from Rv. to campground site electric hook up, tv antenna hook up. A windshield/side window cover/sunshade to keep prying eyes/sun out. Good Luck and have fun.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Some other items I carry that haven't been mentioned (pardon me if I'm wrong): Water pressure regulator, 10ft fresh water hose (which I love if I'm close to hookup then I don't have to deal with draining and wrapping the 25ft one), EMS surge protector (one with more functions than the basic), 50 to 30amp adapter (or 30 to 50amp?), 20amp extension cord (to plug in a power tool or something outside), reflective fold-up safety triangles.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have only had to work on my truck once and my TT needs brakes adjusted once in a while. I use my tools to help others out most of the time.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
What tools to take? How can anybody say without knowing more about the tool set you carry between your ears?
In a MH you can/will be faced with anything that can go wrong with or in your house, plus what might go wrong with the vehicle. So if you have skills and desire to fix everything, the list is near endless.
I have a question about wrenches; I still have a box of British Standard and Wentworth sized wrenches in garage. I don't carry them because the chance of needing to fix something they fit is near 0. Brother has no Metric tools in his shop, because if it was made after 1970, he will hire somebody to fix it.
Most of the wrenches I own are SAE, but my '05 pickup is all metric. For the last few decades, when need bolts for DIY build, I have bought metric.
Do I still need to carry the SAE tools? Do you?

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flyfisherman128 wrote:
I know I'm going to take a bunch for this but after 20 years of full timing in a class A.. chances are your not going to have what you need.. having to ask the question indicates your experience level ..make sure your roadside service is paid up.. make the call.

You make a fair point, but at a least part of time a few tools are handy to get to whatever needs fixing or diagnosed so you can get the correct tools and/or parts to make a repair.

I find that most RV'ers and people in general will bend over backwards to help a guy out if you're somewhat prepared for some difficulty and not 100% dependent on the generosity of others to remedy every issue that might arise.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Flyfisherman128
Explorer
Explorer
I know I'm going to take a bunch for this but after 20 years of full timing in a class A.. chances are your not going to have what you need.. having to ask the question indicates your experience level ..make sure your roadside service is paid up.. make the call.

CdnRoadee23
Explorer
Explorer
You all ROCK. Thank you.... Thank you.... Thank you! I'm hoping to secure a Winnebago 35F or 36Z, awaiting the dealer advising availability so I can get my order in. I invite any further suggestions for an excited newbie.

All of the above + a gen fuel filter and a motor belt. Add to that a good emergency road service and a large limit credit card. Cash will also work!

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
I do like having lots of tools. I used to cram just about everything I owned into my MOHO, but gradually it occurred to me that 90% of those I never touched.
At 82 I don't know if I want to be working on it anyway. I still take too many and I'll just buy what else I need when needed.
To a great extent, it depends on you and what you buy. Some people are always working on something even if it doesn't need any work, and some won't touch a thing. In time you'll figure it out.
Oh, BTW, a 20 ft set of jumper cables can save you a lot of grief.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OOPS! double post

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
An inexpensive multimeter with instructions. Learn how to use it!
Electrical adapters. if rig is 50 amp, get a fifty to thirty adapter.
Bucket and brush to wash windshield. Bucket can be used to put out campfire.
Make a list of appliances with make, model and serial numbers. When does appliances fail? in the dark, raining and cold!
Manuals for appliances.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow,
Red Rolling's list is about as good as you can get - but he should have prefaced the list with "if you are comfortable with" and then noted that the exception is the voltmeter. You want to have that even if you don't know which end to hold... If you need help in that area you may be able to engage a native guide.

The only things I would actually add to his list would be wraps of combination wrenches (SAE and MM) because you can't always get a socket on what needs to be tightened and a largish adjustable wrench just in case...

Other than that, if you are really going to go traveling, try to get all the service documentation for everything that the coach is made of. There have been times that I have helped others that were in minor trouble and he could not find anybody that knew enough to figure out the problem. One of said had a library of documentation, and we were able to diagnose the problem and order parts.

Matt_C
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.