cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrigerator not working on propane

jillhop
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 1998 Coachmen Class C in August (my first RV) and after fixing the known issues when I bought it, have really been enjoying it! I use it to travel to dog events, and mostly dry camp.

This past weekend I took it out for the last time (winter is coming) and discovered when I arrived at my destination that my refrigerator had stopped working--the "Check" light was on, I had been running it on propane while on the 4 hour drive. The drive was very rainy with some wind. Once I arrived at my destination, I was able to get it going again on propane, although I had to reset it a couple of times. Overnight (VERY windy) it went out again at some point. That day I was able to get it running intermittently (again VERY windy) but it seemed to get more difficult as the day went on, until I could no longer get it to stay on. When I ran the generator, it switched on fine and worked well.

Now that I am home, I still can't get it to run on propane. When I turn it on/reset it, I can hear it trying to light, after a few minutes the "check" light comes on and it stops trying. I did have the LP tank topped off as I left for this one-night trip, and I used the furnace (it snowed overnight) and gas stove with no problems while this fridge issue was going on.

It's a Dometic 2-way refrigerator. I'd appreciate any suggestions on things I might check/do before my friendly mobile RV tech comes out to look at it in a couple of weeks.
Dog shows, racing and lure coursing with whippets!
My first RV, 1998 Coachmen 22RK, Ford E350 V10 Triton
6 REPLIES 6

tommykelly
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
From what you post, classic candidate for a good cleaning IMO.

Find model number and look up a vid or perform maintenance per owners manual. Maybe a light rubbing with emery paper on igniter spark thing. Be gentile and don't bend so you don't mess with gap if possible. Don't forget chimney. When you pull off the cover and look down with a flashlight you might be surprised what's down there. Between spider webs and parts of leaves caught on them I'm surprised mine was even working at all. Coat hanger between screen under cover I got 9/10 of junk out. Sucked up junk below with wet/dry vac.

You'll probably solve the problem or atleast make your "friendly RV tech happy"
x2 on the dinosaur board
Might help...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwJ8Mmu_oLY

At any rate, start with clean flue and chimney before digging further.

jillhop
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! I will take the cleaning advice, but probably won't mess with the gas jet or the igniter. I'll have the RV tech check those when he comes in a couple of weeks. Chimney/flue cleaning sounds like it's within my skill level, though. ๐Ÿ™‚

path1
Explorer
Explorer
From what you post, classic candidate for a good cleaning IMO.

Find model number and look up a vid or perform maintenance per owners manual. Maybe a light rubbing with emery paper on igniter spark thing. Be gentile and don't bend so you don't mess with gap if possible. Don't forget chimney. When you pull off the cover and look down with a flashlight you might be surprised what's down there. Between spider webs and parts of leaves caught on them I'm surprised mine was even working at all. Coat hanger between screen under cover I got 9/10 of junk out. Sucked up junk below with wet/dry vac.

You'll probably solve the problem or atleast make your "friendly RV tech happy"

Might help...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwJ8Mmu_oLY

At any rate, start with clean flue and chimney before digging further.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Have you cleaned the orfice where the gas comes out. It's a very small hole and doesn't take much to block it.
My Dometic had a problem with lots of "check" lights. A new circuit board made by Dinosaur electronics cured the problem.

jillhop
Explorer
Explorer
I used both the cooktop and the furnace (all night and the following day--it was COLD!) so I don't think it's air in the line (unless it's just in the refrigerator line). The water system is already winterized so I can't run the water heater, but it is on the opposite side of the camper from all the other LP appliances. The furnace is directly under the refrigerator, and the stove is right next to it.

chasfenwick
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing to rule out is air in the propane line BRANCH that goes to the refrigerator. The fill procedure can create such a problem. Run cooktop, furnace, and water heater for a while and see if that helps.