cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refurbished Class C tow rating 2013 E450

Kalait
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I are considering buying a rental refurbished Class C. However, we are wondering what the tow rating may be as our Xterra is not flat tow capable, we must trailer the SUV.

Your assistance is appreciated. ๐Ÿ™‚
Kalait

2010 Xterra
2011 Passport 199ml
17 REPLIES 17

Kalait
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
You can possibly flat tow the Xterra if you get a driveline disconnect. The Xterra plus a trailer will likely be much too heavy, even the Xterra alone might be over the tow rating.

Please further explain, Nissan says I can not flat tow more than 10 miles without possible damage to my Differential, I plan to change the oil every 75,000 miles or as recommended. The driveshaft can be removed and replaced with the bolts replaced to the same nuts. This is a major part of the question, my Owners Manuel does not state yes/no on flat towing. I will be looking tomorrow on the possibility of removing the driveshaft. I will be marking the bolts with the shaft side for replacement.
Kalait

2010 Xterra
2011 Passport 199ml

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
We have a flat bed trailer because I go to tractor shows and take my tractor. We had a '02- 24' mh with an E-350, now a '15-27' mh. When we go south for the winter we tow our on the trailer. One of the better things we did was put a weight distribution on the mh.
Both of the mh are class C.

Dusty

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rock,first of all I did not call you a liar,if you took it that way I am sorry,but I still stand by my statement.

You referenced the Cruise America Video,and when you called "them" meaning Cruise America,you most likely got a RV dealership.

The information you were given is wrong as far as a True Cruise America sales location, there is only 9 of them in the US, there are 122 Cruise America locations, most are RV dealerships that run a Cruise America Rental service as a side business and they may very well do repairs on units that they got thru auction. You may have passed on a good deal with wrong information.

I also wanted to pass along the correct information to the OP,and make sure that it is accurate. Oh and the reason they repaint them is that when they take off the large graphics shadowing is left on the painted areas,the paint job gives them a new look.

Now back to regular programing..
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

path1
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
If you look at the video, 'refurbished' shows it includes painting also. Which would mean it was in really bad shape. Most used RV's do not require repaints.

I called them and 'they' told me that along with tradeins and rental turn ins, they also buy totaled, water and fire damaged RV's and ""refurbish" them. And according to them, NO they are not required to tell you. So I passed on looking at RV's from them.

On this I call total BS and totally false and misleading.

Cruise Americas Refurbish location in Phoenix Arizona only refurbishes their units for resale,all others that are totaled,or fire or water damaged are sold at auction for other companies or the public to repair.

Most states require that a seller must inform a buyer if a there is a salvage title from a totaled or damaged vehicle.

Another wives tale is that they pull the house unit off and put a newer chassis under it from a wrecked unit,this practice was stopped in the mid 1970s.

Where YOU there when I called them?

I was talking directly to the manager of the store I called and that is exactly, verbatim, what he said to me when I asked him. There are 122 locations and the one I called, he said they do buy them from the auctions and refurbish them.

YOU stop calling forum members liars when you know nothing about what transpired. :R:R

I passed this information on to the OP based on my personal experience with cruise america, NOT you.

That's interesting:h. According to their old parts manager the refurbish crew at loved it when something would get totaled out. From their point of view, one less unit to refurbish, little alone Cruise buying outside of their own Corp structure from other places that needed refurbished.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
If you look at the video, 'refurbished' shows it includes painting also. Which would mean it was in really bad shape. Most used RV's do not require repaints.

I called them and 'they' told me that along with tradeins and rental turn ins, they also buy totaled, water and fire damaged RV's and ""refurbish" them. And according to them, NO they are not required to tell you. So I passed on looking at RV's from them.

Cruise Americas Refurbish location in Phoenix Arizona only refurbishes their units for resale,all others that are totaled,or fire or water damaged are sold at auction for other companies or the public to repair.

Most states require that a seller must inform a buyer if a there is a salvage title from a totaled or damaged vehicle.

Another wives tale is that they pull the house unit off and put a newer chassis under it from a wrecked unit,this practice was stopped in the mid 1970s.

Where YOU there when I called them?

I was talking directly to the manager of the store I called and that is exactly, verbatim, what he said to me when I asked him. There are 122 locations and the one I called, he said they do buy them from the auctions and refurbish them.

YOU stop calling forum members liars when you know nothing about what transpired. :R:R

I passed this information on to the OP based on my personal experience with cruise america, NOT you.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Kalait
Explorer
Explorer
To my current understanding, the refurbishment yes, the coach is repainted, and all blemishes are made back to new as much as possible after a set number of miles are driven with the coach. Yes, Cruise America does work in Phoenix they also do work in Nevada, and Washington, there maybe other areas as well. Sorry to have started such a firestorm, however, when buying a used vehicle it is always good to do a title check.
Kalait

2010 Xterra
2011 Passport 199ml

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend that you search other options than a 'dealer'. I have seen nice late model coaches on Craigslist that were very resonable in price, but again thre are others that are made of GOLD. We got ours off craigslist, but had to drive a couple of hundred miles one way to see and then actually purchase. But it was at least $30000 less than the same coach we had looked at from the dealer for NEW, and it had only 4000 miles and 24 hours on the genset. Yes does take some creative financing on your part to have the $$ available. I got a home loan from the bank and had it available when we went to the bank to pay for the rig. You can also use the rig for I think 2-3 weeks to cover the mortgage requirement by IRS as a 2d home. Check with your tax advisor. If you have money available depending on where you are at, you can save a lot of $$ by private party sale. No sales taxes in most cases is the big one. Check craigslist for arizona to see if there is something there to interest you. Also used 'refurbished' again depending where you are at may have a 'SALVAGE' title and they are really only good for you as dealers and others dont want to touch them for trades etc.

BTW my 12 Winnebago has a 5000 lb hitch rating, 500 load rating. We tow a 13 Hyundai Elantra-.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:

Buying A Rental Class C

Kalait
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

The wife and I are considering buying a rental refurbished Class C.

IMHO, JMHO If I were you I would pass on this one. If you are real dead set on buying it I would insist to see the history on the title first before you buy.

And a car on a trailer will be too heavy for the Class C.

I have a V-10,E450, and tow a very light toad 4-down and I wouldn't even think of towing anything heavier.

Thanks, for the information, which opens further questions for the dealer, and a title search. Will there be fire and damage reports on the title or is there a way to clean the title?
Kalait

2010 Xterra
2011 Passport 199ml

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

The wife and I are considering buying a rental refurbished Class C.

IMHO, JMHO If I were you I would pass on this one. If you are real dead set on buying it I would insist to see the history on the title first before you buy.

And a car on a trailer will be too heavy for the Class C.

I have a V-10, E450, and tow a very light toad 4-down and I wouldn't even think of towing anything heavier.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
I guess refurbished means making sure it works, fluids are full, and resealing the roof lines
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
I'm just curious what "refurbished" means..

REFURBISHED RENTAL
Buying A Rental Class C

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I'm just curious what "refurbished" means..

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
An E450 can max out at 22000 GCWR (Combined loaded coach and towed load). Since GVWR (loaded coach) is 14500, that's your 7500. That's for the CHASSIS. The motorhome builder may have down-rated it for some reason. Typically, the "down" load on a hitch is 10-pct of the "pull" rating. 5000 hitch, 500 weight on the ball. A MoHo has a very long rear overhang, so I would not expect its "down" to be 750 even with a 7500 hitch. Such is not an issue flat towing, but it could be a limitation towing a trailer with a vehicle on it.
Problem with Nissan mini-trucks like Frontier, Xterra and Pathfinder, is that the 4WD transfer case doesn't have Neutral. So it has to be a manual transmission, in Neutral with transfer case in 2H for towing. Because of no neutral, the automatics can't be towed.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB