cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REPLACE FURNITURE IN SLIDE EFFECT ON WARRANTY

GinJim
Explorer
Explorer
We are interested in replacing a short couch in the slide of our new Thor Axis. Appears there are not tanks, etc underneath. We prefer a reclining love seat to the existing sofa bed. I understand that sometimes the slide is above the floor of the coach, creating a configuration matching issue. Questions:

1. Will changing the furniture affect the warranty on the slide? We have a 7 yr warranty.
2. Is there a 'certified' installer that would guard the warranty?
3. Does the replacement have to be RV furniture?
4. Can I just use Lazy Boy?
5. Some of the reclining love seats we have seen are not comfortable, yet places like camping world who 'special order' say you bought it, you got it. Recommendations for an installer or show room in southern California?
6. Should we ask Thor for recommendations?
16 REPLIES 16

GinJim
Explorer
Explorer
thanks, I'd post the actual photos of our coach, but can't figure out how to do it from my computer, sorry. Ours are in brown, and actually look more suitable for the coach than the captain's chairs.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice looking chair.....enjoy them!

But why did it take a year :B

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

GinJim
Explorer
Explorer
Update! We have successfully replaced the couch in our Thor Axis with a pair of Best Home Furnishing Space Saver stationary power recliners with optional lithium batteries! Installed two inches from the window covering. We called Thor, who told us they didn't think furniture replacement in their slide would be a problem. Turned out the slide is very sturdy, and just needed a junction box moved around and table holder removed; minor installation issues. We only use the front table and it now fits between the left chair and the wall. Chairs were secured to the slide, and seat belts will be easily threaded through. Makes all the difference in the coach comfort! My husband is 6'1" and I have a big butt. The chairs are perfect. Only complaint is the arms need a little more padding, but the fit in the slide is perfect. This is a stationary power recliner. Most sales people are unaware the lithium battery is available. Hve pictures to add, but don't see how, so Here's the link http://www.besthf.com/best/Furniture/Recliners/Power-Recliners/COSTILLA

GinJim
Explorer
Explorer
The recliner chairs we are considering are the very lightweight euro style with the slanted foot stools, not the big padded upholstered type

GinJim
Explorer
Explorer
There are two back metal plates with screws attaching the plates to the floors in the central area of the slide. Guessing the tracks may be under there. Will test for flex. Does not appear to be poorly constructed.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Slide floors are constructed to support weight across the ENTIRE floor. Remember, the slide rooms are ALL built for that model RV and the furniture IN the slide is usually optioned. You can have Couch/.sleeper couch/recliners/regular chairs/dinnetes, the list goes ON. But, to answer your question about warranty. As I stated, you do NOT have a 7 year warranty. You have a 7 year ESC contract. The ONLY thing a ESC will cover on your slide room is the motor/controllers and those will not be affected by any additional furniture you install in the slide room. I have NEVER in over 20 years of slide rooms had any ESC or warranty question from the OEM or ESC about "what" was installed in the slide room. People have custom made furniture and computer desks and all other furniture built and installed in slide room all the time. Doug

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO if the slide is so poorly built that it could be damaged by removing the sofa and installing 2 recliner chairs it should not be built. Looking at the floor plan the slide is only big enough for the sofa.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable 😛
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
GinJim wrote:

Does any one have an opinion about weight being applied in the center of the slide, where there is no weight applied now?

just guessing about the slide construction but I would guess that the only slide support/rails would be on both ends of the slide and the center would not have a track/rail/support. don't know how precise they engineer these things but if you put a heavy piece of furniture in an unsupported area might cause an issue?
bumpy

GinJim
Explorer
Explorer
our concern is that the sleeper couch we want to replace touches the floor only on the outer edges of the couch, at the outer edges of the slide. There is nothing touching the floor under the couch in the center of the slide.

We saw some lightweight 'euro' look chairs with the little slanted foot stools we'd like to use in place of the couch. But when we sit in them, there would be weight applied to the center areas of the slide where no weight is applied now.

Don't know if weight applied in the large center area would matter, or not. The chairs themselves are very light weight, and there would be no added weight when the slide is in motion.

Does any one have an opinion about weight being applied in the center of the slide, where there is no weight applied now?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Kiwi_too wrote:
What is the don't ask and don't tell. No need for that.

As others have said, unless you add weight to the slide, there is no problem, even with warranty or insurance.

I believe that was in a post saying "Should not affect warranty.. Just do not mention you changed it if you have to file a claim."
why the do not mention?
bumpy

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
What is the don't ask and don't tell. No need for that.

As others have said, unless you add weight to the slide, there is no problem, even with warranty or insurance.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Nobody has or offers a 7 year warranty. You may have a ESC (Extended Service Contract), but that is not a warranty. I have never seen a OEM have any problem with what customers installed or modified in a slide room( I have over 35 years in the RV service business). Doug

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
As long as not heavier, and you do not do something during install to cause damage, should be no problem.

I took out a couch and bed, and put in a couple chairs. More room, lighter. Six screws taken out is all. Saved the couch to reinstall for new buyer. We did not need the bed space, chairs easier for us to sit on.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
In many motor homes.. The couch just sits there, Same as in your living room.

In some "L" brackets hold it to the floor.

Should not affect warranty.. Just do not mention you changed it if you have to file a claim.

Don't ask,
Don't tell.
bumpy