cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacement shocks for a Ford 450 chassis C options/opinions

UNYboater
Explorer
Explorer
We have an '07 Coachmen Freelander 32' Class C with 53,000 miles on the dial. It is hitting the pavement joints pretty good, shaking up the contents, so I'm thinking maybe new shocks would be a good idea; we replaced the tires a year or so ago & they are at the plated pressures. I've done quite a bit of searching & have some ideas but here's what I'd like:
If you have had a similar coach & replaced the shocks, I'd like to hear your opinions.
Please provide:
1. Year/model 2. Mileage 3. What shocks you bought/cost 4. Why you bought them 5. Results/opinions.

Thank you in advance!
Any given day, I'm Boating, shoveling or RV'ing south! or riding, wheeling, GP'ing ๐Ÿ˜‰

'07 Coachmen Freelander C3100SO: OLLY - "Our Lyl' Land Yacht"
'05 Jeep Liberty
('03 SeaRay 280 Sundancer, '99 SeaDoo 18' Jetboat; '91 Jeep YJ; '03 HD V-Rod, '01 Boxster S)
16 REPLIES 16

UNYboater
Explorer
Explorer
I'm seriously looking at a pair of Koni's for the rear for now. I've e-mailed them but haven't gotten a reply back yet.

Update: ...and they just did! Actually they forwarded my question along to a supplier who contacted me. They DO support rear-only (or front-only) installations; no problem.
This supplier also offered free shipping if I bought all four ($40 for just two) at about a dollar under the listed retail on Koni's site.
Any given day, I'm Boating, shoveling or RV'ing south! or riding, wheeling, GP'ing ๐Ÿ˜‰

'05 Jeep Liberty
('03 SeaRay 280 Sundancer, '99 SeaDoo 18' Jetboat; '91 Jeep YJ; '03 HD V-Rod, '01 Boxster S)

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ratcheting box wrench worked in behind the fender liner and onto the top nut of the front shock. Then you can just slip an open end wrench on the hex that's part of the shaft of the shock and work it back and forth to remove, same to install. It helps to raise the front, take the wheel off, and allow the suspension to drop all the way. Then the extended gas shock matches up with the lower mount that's part of the front radius arm. You should have the frame blocked up or on a jack stand. So, at that point you can also remove the clip that holds the upper end of the coil spring and lower the axle to where the spring is out of the way of the shock. Then you have lots of throw on your open end wrench.
I've done only Fronts on E-Series. The older (1991 and earlier) was easier than the current ones ('92 and later) but all are do-able. But as I said, I have not done the rears. From what I've read, those shocks do NOT have the hex on the low side of the mounting area, so they are not quite as easy as you'd think.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

UNYboater
Explorer
Explorer
eric1514 wrote:

If you're at all handy, the rear shock install is an easy DIY. The fronts will try your patience.
Eric

I just replaced the axle on my Boxster, so the mechanicals don't scare me...but the weight does! I assume I need to remove the wheels on one side at a time & get it up as high as possible to release the pressure on the shock?

'05 Jeep Liberty

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
UNYboater wrote:
I think I'd like to go with the Bilsteins over the Monroes, especially without a big price difference. I was actually wondering if that would be the difference between the Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks versus their Comfort shocks, handling versus smoothness. I was wondering what others had found.

Putting a pair of Koni's in the back sounds like a good compromise; the front isn't bad still. I wish the closest installer wasn't 200 miles away!

If you're at all handy, the rear shock install is an easy DIY. The fronts will try your patience.

Eric
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

UNYboater
Explorer
Explorer
eric1514 wrote:
UNYboater wrote:
I assumed that the stock shocks were not flexing as smoothly as they aged; they seemed much smoother when newer. Would there be other suspension components in play here that I should be looking at? I'd just like it to be like it was 50k miles ago!

If you want it like it was 50k miles ago, why not just buy the stock Ford parts? Also, Monroe makes shocks for our rigs, but I don't know anyone who's used them. I think, but haven't confirmed, they are less expensive than Bilsteins.

Edit: The Monroes are about $12 cheaper per shock than the Bilsteins. Not much, but it adds up.

Eric

I think I'd like to go with the Bilsteins over the Monroes, especially without a big price difference. I was actually wondering if that would be the difference between the Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks versus their Comfort shocks, handling versus smoothness. I was wondering what others had found.

Putting a pair of Koni's in the back sounds like a good compromise; the front isn't bad still. I wish the closest installer wasn't 200 miles away!

'05 Jeep Liberty

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
pauldub wrote:
Generally, new shocks will increase highway joint harshness. I think the Koni shocks that Ron mentions are the only shock available for our Fords that might actually be an improvement for harshness. Now we just need someone to buy them and report back.

I've been keeping my eye on these shocks for quite some time, and even communicated directly with Koni on them before they released them for the E350/E450 chassis about last February.

My theory is that soft shocks is what the Class C motorhome E350/E450's need in at least the rear for sharp lateral highway bumps and cracks. Other times, stiff shocks is what these two chassis need for good loaded sway control. From what the Koni literature says regarding the technology used in these FSD shocks ... they currently are the only shocks that offer both modes seemlessly in one shock.

My stock Ford shocks have over 42,000 miles on them and I'll probably change the rear shocks to these before any future major trip. Our 24 foot Class C E450 has no ride harshness in the front, so I can probably get some more mileage out of the stock Ford front shocks.

I'll post on Koni FSD shock performance in the rear of our E450 after we've had them on for awhile.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

So what can be done to improve the harshness?

pauldub wrote:
Generally, new shocks will increase highway joint harshness. I think the Koni shocks that Ron mentions are the only shock available for our Fords that might actually be an improvement for harshness. Now we just need someone to buy them and report back.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
UNYboater wrote:
I assumed that the stock shocks were not flexing as smoothly as they aged; they seemed much smoother when newer. Would there be other suspension components in play here that I should be looking at? I'd just like it to be like it was 50k miles ago!

If you want it like it was 50k miles ago, why not just buy the stock Ford parts? Also, Monroe makes shocks for our rigs, but I don't know anyone who's used them. I think, but haven't confirmed, they are less expensive than Bilsteins.

Edit: The Monroes are about $12 cheaper per shock than the Bilsteins. Not much, but it adds up.

Eric
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

UNYboater
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:

'05 Jeep Liberty

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know of only one shock absorber that handles the heavy duty application of a loaded motor home, but also reduces the jolts felt from the expansion joints in the pavement. They have been used in the largest of class-A motor homes for many years, but just this year came out with one specifically made for the E350/E450 cut-away chassis. HERE THEY ARE but be prepared for sticker shock. Nobody sells anything like them. I'd buy them for our rig but I am not made of money yet. I'd consider getting just the rear two but still can't justify it at half the cost.

UNYboater
Explorer
Explorer
F450 wrote:
UNYboater wrote:
Also, we run close to the 16,000 lb chassis rating when we're loaded, down the highway, if that impacts your suggestions...
Your motor home isn't rated at 16000 lbs. It is 14050 lbs.

You are correct; I was remembering our previous unit. We do run this one at full capacity but it is 14k. Thanks for the correction.

'05 Jeep Liberty

F450
Explorer
Explorer
UNYboater wrote:
Also, we run close to the 16,000 lb chassis rating when we're loaded, down the highway, if that impacts your suggestions...
Your motor home isn't rated at 16000 lbs. It is 14050 lbs.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the guys on a Medium Duty Truck forum I read have had good luck with Bilstein Shocks. They say the shocks improve the ride and lessen the jolts and jarring.