cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

replacement tires

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
my rig has 7 of the recalled michelin tires and the local dealers cannot get replacements. Said I could go with any brand and are offering a new set of hankooks. Just dont know if these are any good or if I should wait for the michelins to become available.

Anyone have anything to offer on this? We are not going anywhere soon so I am not in a rush as of today. If need be can take pickup and trailer if had to go someplace, or just use the rig as is.

anyhow, just need to find some good tires to go with.
11 REPLIES 11

Freelander11
Explorer
Explorer
Took mine to Big O Tire today and all 7 of mine are recalled. The Michelin's are on backorder and no date is listed on when they will be available. Big O offered to install BF Goodrich if I wanted to go ahead and get it done this week. I've got a trip planned in 3 weeks and told them to go ahead. The reviews online look good. Anxious to pick it up tomorrow and see how it drives. Anyone else have the BFG's?

fisher60
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Hancook and love them. Currently 58k miles and they still have tread left for another 5k. I'll be replacing these with the exact same tire.
'01 Dutchman Express 28A, Borg Chrome Dually Valve Stems, Pacific Dualies Wheel Simulators, '06 Tuscon, 2014 FLHTCUTG
Good Sam Life Member

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
I can believe a shortage of Michelin replacements. I had 6 affected tires replaced a year ago under a pro-rated warranty claim; Michelin is refunding what I paid, but I still have the spare which needs to be swapped out and the tire store I used cannot source one tire. I may try my Ford dealer as an alternate.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
Give the new Wrangler Adventure AT with Kevlar a look. My experience with them has been very good so far.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
The Michelin recall resulted in seven new MS2 tires on our Class C. Took the local dealer a week to get the tires back in mid January. All the new tires had date codes from mid December 2013.

Both DW and I feel the MH rides noticeably smoother with the MS2's.

IMO worth a little wait.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

aubreym
Explorer
Explorer
crickeydog wrote:
I'd look for another Michelin dealer. That don't sound right!

+1

All of my Four Winds 28Z tires had to be replaced under the safety recall and Discount Tire in Olympia, WA took care of everything. This was in December and I only had to wait one week for them to get the tires.

In your case, I'd definitely try another dealer.
- Aubrey W7OLY

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was told that the M/S 2's were back ordered due to the massive recall of the M/S's. Was offered another brand that Michelin would pay for. I called a couple of other tire shops who said they could have the M/S 2's in the morning. Called my original shop back and told them I would be going down the street for the M/S 2's and lo and behold they called back in 5 minutes confirming they would have them the next day.

Replace the recalled tires with Michelin M/S 2's as they are top of the line and come with a 70,000 mile tread warranty. The M/S 2's replaced the twenty year old design of the original M/S's and they ARE readily available. ๐Ÿ™‚

crickeydog
Explorer
Explorer
I'd look for another Michelin dealer. That don't sound right!

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)
USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the wait for new M's
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
I'd wait for the Michelin tires. If the dealer says they can't get them call Michelin's 800 number. Something sounds strange as I don't think Michelin would reimburse the dealer for different tires. Maybe the dealer is willing to give anything else out of his inventory as he will wind up with another set of Michelins in the end.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Try Toyo Open Country tires, they have a good stiff sidewall. Sold by Les Schwab, but don't know if that dealer is in your area.