cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

replacing fuel pump on Genreator

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
How do you keep the gasoline from running out while replacing the fuel pump on Onan Generator ?
The line coming off the pump to the tank has braided wire in cased in rubber. I'm afraid to pinch it too hard to stop the flow of gas and won't be able to straighten it back out.
4 REPLIES 4

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to let you folks know I finally got my Generator fixed. The guy came to the house and put on both new filters. rubber gas line and a new fuel pump. Total cost, labor & parts was $120.00 Generator runs like a champ.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Good ideas already but also take the gas cap off so no pressure builds up and blows out whatever you plugged the line with.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I had to drop my generator, I first travelled enough to bring the gas level in the tank down to below the generator pickup (below a quarter tank). I plugged the end of the removed gas line with a cork. Even if I couldn't plug the end well, I figured I would at least not siphon too much gas out of the tank. It ended up being very much a non-issue.

The golf tee would probably work well, provided it's not a kind of plastic that is attacked by the fuel.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I usually plug lines like that with a plastic golf tee. The fuel can also be stopped from siphoning from the tank by blowing enough air back through line to push the fuel back into the tank.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate