cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road Service?

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of going from a small 5th wheel to a motorhome. Generally, I have been against purchasing road service protection and have done fine without. However, the MH will have to have some years on it so I'm thinking it might be time to get protection in case of need for towing, tire changing, etc. My son has AAA and added RV coverage and is pleased but I also know there is Good Sam's. So, would like to hear advise and experiences with both plus any other programs. Also, a ballpark cost estimate.
Jayco-noslide
16 REPLIES 16

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had Good Sam road service for many years and it has been great the couple of times that I used them to "repair" flat tires, until this last time.
I had a flat tire(nail in the tread)this past April and called Good Sam. They informed me that they would not let any of their service providers repair the tire. I would have to purchase a new one for $700(I had bought new ones 2 years ago for $400). I told them to forget it as I wasn't going to pay $700 for a tire. I called the local tire shop and they came out and repaired the tire with a DOT approved patch for commercial trucks. They charged me a total of $95 for the service call and the repair.

The only thing I can figure is that ERS has made a deal with their service providers to sell a new tire at a ridiculous price and then ERS gets a kickback on the price of the tire to offset the bill for the roadside service.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
we've been good sam ERS members since 1986, have used the service maybe 6-8 times and have not had a bad experience. count us as satisfied customers. in the interest of full disclosure we did let the membership lapse this year but only because we have not been able to use the MH since parking it last October and are not expecting to use it before next February at which time we will resume our coverage with GS ERS.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will find the prices comparable. With all three, plus a few offered by insurance companies, you don't call them until you have a problem. With an RV that means your on vacation, your time is important, and suddenly you loose at least a day maybe more because of a breakdown. Your hot (or cold) mad, and probably nothing the road-side-assistance does will be adequate. With that in mind I had AAA, changed after a problem, then had Coach Net, changed after a problem, and now have Good Sam. They did ok with a tire change on the car.
Time will tell.
Happy Trails.

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful with AAA. they are VERY regional. One area great another really bad. Have found they can vary even within a state. Go with a service geared toward RVs - Coach net or Good Sam.

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
This Tuesday past we had our first experiance with Good Sam Roadside Protection.

We were travelling south on I95 in northern Maine. Travelling 60 mph when I heard a loud bang somewhere rear of the drivers position. Pulled over immediately. Discovered the inside left rear was blown.

The speed limit in the location was 75 mph and very busy with heavy truck traffic. The shoulder was barely wide enough for us to get fully right of the white line. I knew there was a DOT Weigh Station within a mile so I decided to move to that location so I could get off the interstate.

Called GS at 2:30 PM. A little peeved at first with the press "1" for this and press "2" for that BS but got through to an actual person in about four selections.

The service from that point onward was exceptional. The GS representitive was able to confirm our location and offered to put me on hold while she secured a service provider or if I desired she would call me back. I elected to have her call me back (I was on a Canadian cell phone with limited roaming minutes)She called back within five minutes and informed me that New England Truck & Tire Service had been dispatched and were on the way. She explained the bill was already paid and estimated the service truck would be at my location by 3:15 PM.

The truck showed up at 3:00 PM, changed my flat tire for my spare and I was on the road by 3:30 PM. The service person was very professional, knew his job and was very pleasant. It was over 80 degrees and the guy did not complain once. He did accept a cold soda when he finished. He changed the valve stem cores in both tires he worked on as he said they were the "cheap ones" and replaced my valve stem covers with new metal ones. All at no charge.

I was very glad I had GS Roadside. There is no jack in my rig and there is no way I could have changed that tire by myself.

So is roadside assistance a good idea? I think so!

Good Sam came through for me and I would recommend them to anyone.
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
We did not have to pay for tow with an add-on - at least with GMAC. We had bought a used small 5th wheel & truck for an Alaska trip and the truck died enroute. The truck & the trailer were both towed 75 miles. The trailer was set up in a campground and we had to rent a car until we decided what to do. No charge for anything. (We ended up going back to 'start' and continuing our trip with our normal 'home' - our 40' motorhome) and had a wonderful Alaskan trip. Should have stayed with it in the first place. 🙂
Same with Geico

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We did not have to pay for tow with an add-on - at least with GMAC. We had bought a used small 5th wheel & truck for an Alaska trip and the truck died enroute. The truck & the trailer were both towed 75 miles. The trailer was set up in a campground and we had to rent a car until we decided what to do. No charge for anything. (We ended up going back to 'start' and continuing our trip with our normal 'home' - our 40' motorhome) and had a wonderful Alaskan trip. Should have stayed with it in the first place. 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We have Coach Net and are very pleased.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago the add on to your insurance policy type road service you had to pay for the tow etc and then they reimbursed you. Have they changed that to be the same as Good Sam or Coachnet where you do not have to pay the road service tow?

I have Good Sam. The whole 2 times I have had to use them road side service was prompt, qualified and I was very satisfied and the GS operator was very courteous and helpful.

I think the major difference between insurance plans and GS or Coachnet falls in when you have a TT. The RV providers will tow both the TV and the TT to a location.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago the add on to your insurance policy type road service you had to pay for the tow etc and then they reimbursed you. Have they changed that to be the same as Good Sam or Coachnet where you do not have to pay the road service tow?

I have Good Sam. The whole 2 times I have had to use them road side service was prompt, qualified and I was very satisfied and the GS operator was very courteous and helpful.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've alway had an add-on to our insurance policy - $6/year right now. It covers everything that CoachNet or GoodSam does plus lodging, if needed.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the others, now I have CoachNet. Nuff said!
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure that there may be others that do an adequate job but I've had CoachNet for 9 years without ever using them.
Finally got stranded 90 miles from a diesel garage and CoachNet sent a lowboy for my MH and made an appointment for me when we got to the destination. No cost, professional and prompt.
Lowboy driver was cleancut and no wires hanging out of his face. Thats important to me.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

Crdodd
Explorer
Explorer
We have AAA plus RV. 3 years ago, we lost a tire on Hwy 290 coming out of Houston during rush hour. We got to the shoulder, but could not change the tire without something blocking traffic- I could not even stand next to the trailer while cars blew by. I was very scared for my family. AAA came through for us big time that day.

I have not needed them since that time, but that memory makes it very easy to send in the payment every year. I also try really hard to avoid high traffic times in cities.

I will keep roadside coverage, but I don't have any experience to say one is better than the other.
2011Wildcat 312BHX
2008 F350 6.4L PSD SRWCC 4x4 King Ranch
Companion Hitch