cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Road side assistance Good Sam or USAA?

Hotwheelbill
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the two and USAA is $24 a year.
Anyone have USAA instead of Good Sam and have you ever used it?
13 REPLIES 13

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
I have had GS for many years. I have had varied experiences. Generally they just send someone in their list. A few times in very rural areas off major interstate freeways I had a lot of difficulty getting service because GS wanted to call someone very far away. The call center had difficulty dealing with RVs even though they are selling an RV specific plan. I have eventually been able to get service except once when the supervisor refused tow my rig out of a shop that couldn't fix it because the parts weren't available. The shop didn't want to continue to store a large MH. They were going to charge me $50 per day storage fees. I had Coach Net at the same time and after explaining the problem to them they gladly moved the rig. The excuse I got from GS was they upgraded their plans to provide courtesy towing of up to 100 miles. I had a platinum plan however shortly after I renewed my plan. They wanted me to pay to upgrade but even if I did wouldn't do the tow because it doesn't cover preexisting conditions.
FMCA member

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
only one time for a MH tow to notice the difference. CN do all cars as well.

ferndaleflyer wrote:
How often do you use these plans to see a big difference????? I would be happy if I never needed to call them.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I was unhappy with CoachNet, I now have Good Sam. Hope I never have to use them.

How often do you use these plans to see a big difference????? I would be happy if I never needed to call them.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Never used USAA, had GS and switch to Coach Net and like it best.

Hotwheelbill wrote:
Looking at the two and USAA is $24 a year.
Anyone have USAA instead of Good Sam and have you ever used it?
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Poppy___Nana
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the CoachNet site and I can't find a sample of towable premier or towable basic plans, the link seems to be broken.....can anyone else open or find the link???
Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
2008 - Ford F250 Super Crew 4x4

I have had good luck with Good Sam----Once with a blow out in the middle of nowhere they had it fixed and on the road in about an hour. Just recently had the duelly break down and they sent a tow truck that towed it to to the repair facility of my choice. Good job, and quick both times.......They towed my friend from I-81 in PA to the Cummins dealer in Winchester, VA......seems to work pretty good.

Hotwheelbill
Explorer
Explorer
Done!

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
I had exactly the opposite using Progressive. The trans puked 7 qts. of fluid from my 95 HR (36 ft.) gasser. They sent a wrecker of the proper size which towed me to my home (50 miles) and not just the 1st. repair station. For 6 yrs. of RVing, I never carried any other coverage.

Hotwheelbill
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot that when I called USAA they moved me over to Progressive for my Quote.
Looking up Coachnet now.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Coachnet
2013 ACE 29.2

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest you be careful of low cost emergency road service. One year I decided to use the $30/year road service with my Progressive Insurance rather than Coach Net. Well, we broke down on the highway, and I learned that Progressive's insurance didn't like to pay the towers the going rate, so they had a VERY difficult time getting someone to come out to tow us. I learned my lesson and went back to Coach Net.

Ed Headington

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
MHO: Neither one if you have a Class A, although Good Sam would probably be ok. I've been a USAA member for decades and they are first class but their towing is for cars.

Prefer Coach Net. Just MY opinion. Treat it as a data point because you will get lots more.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X