cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roadtrek window questions

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Which windows open with screens? We're looking at 2004 - 2008 170s. It looks like the side windows in the back bed area open and maybe the one in the kitchen... Is that true? I'm thinking the back door windows and front cab area windows open, but wouldn't have any screens, right? Is that enough for you?

Thanks for any info...

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
7 REPLIES 7

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the ideas on insulation - definitely going to follow through. 🙂

href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
We also use Reflectix for the rear window and the three upper windows. Another great improvement we made was to sew white "sun-block" material on the window side of all curtains in our Roadtrek. This made a tremendous difference in both hot and cold weather comfort.

As well, we ordered "Skreenz" for both front doors. They allow lots of fresh air, and when using the Fantastic Fan, there's quite a good cooling effect. We rarely use the A/C.

I installed a polarity reversing switch for the Fantastic Fan (although I believe the newer models have this feature). When switched to "reverse", the fan provides lots of cooling especially when preparing a meal. It's an easy job, since the fan uses a DC motor, and when you reverse the polarity of a DC motor, the fan will turn in the opposite direction.
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

Caseyontheroad
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to the two side rear windows, my 2007 170 has a screened, opening window on the side door by the third passenger seat. There are two fans, the one on the roof and another over the stove. Either will pull a stiff breeze through the van.

I've made reflectex pop-ins for the three upper windows but I find I use them more to block out cold air at night than heat during the day.
2007 Roadtrek 170 Popular
1988 VW Westy

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
3 lights is a road trek identifier- my PW has 2. I have panels of reflectix in them because of the heat.
Just cut out with scissors and push int place between the glass and the curtains.

I have larger panels which cover rear door windows- better at keeping light out in the early morning- front door windows and the windscreen.

all those curtains inside the B are fiddly and these panels do a better job faster

Mike

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks much for the replies! We'll keep these options in mind as we search for our perfect B.

To continue with the window questions...

How about those 3 skylight type windows - do they let in a lot of heat?

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a roofvent with a fan, running that with just the rear side windows cracked will move air through the van and remove heat well- this works when the van is parked on a hot day.

there are screen kits- or Shannon and I adapted a couple of the as seen on tv screen kits with added magnets for our side door, rear doors and front windows- total cost $34
( we have a pleasure-way- built on a chev)

ADCO makes windshield/ door window covers- there is one version in which there are screened portions - these are not meant to be bug proof but work fairly well- adding magnets for a better seal helps

unless it is really hot, we don;t much use the AC

mike

chast
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi-- you are right except for the kitchen window which does not open. Our 1997 170P has screened Windows on each side in the back. You can buy screens from an Internet company called Skreenz. We made screens for the back door when opened and for the back door window which opens when the door is closed. Also for the side door and window and for the front and passenger door windows. No shortage of fresh air here! Feel free to PM me if you want details.
chartrue2@aol.com