cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof vents bouncing when retracting.

cm2785
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, I just replaced the vent lids on my RV with new Camco’s (I also installed new Max Airs too!) but I noticed when retracting the vents now they start to bounce and make the roof resonate... it’s really annoying and I find myself having to put them down increadibly slow so it won’t happen. Nothing looks like it’s binding, I’m really curious as to why that would happen and what I could do to fix it.

Thanks!!
10 REPLIES 10

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine do the same thing but I always had other issues to think about and fix they are now 21 years old and still shutter when closing. If you look at the attach point on the cover it is a very short moment arm.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine do the same thing but I always had other issues to think about and fix they are now 21 years old and still shutter when closeing.

cm2785
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys but from what I can see the part that goes into the new cover (the metal crank arm) is metal with no bushing or anything. It’s metal to metal it seems.

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
You'll find the same thing happening with your antenna. I use a silicone spray on both. My antenna and roof vents all go smooth now. Do it once a year and you'll be happy.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Just lube the slide mechanism on them. Use something that will do a good job and stay slippery. Something wet is fine. Who cares if it attracts a little dust? Just wipe it away the next time you lube them.
However, I would be tempted to try a little wax like is used on ski's.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
dry lube

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
Try some olive oil. It won't attract too much dirt.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Almost all lubricants may be come contaminated with dust. Test anything on a blotter first. If you can see the residue--don't use it.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same issue, just never thought anymore about it. I just looked at it and I think that it is caused by friction between the plastic bushing on the elevation rod and the track? that is attached to the vent cover it self.
Some sort of lubricant on the plastic/nylon and track might help.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.