cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roofs... fiberglass or rubber?

pacificnw
Explorer
Explorer
Generally speaking, do you prefer a fiberglass roof or a rubber (TPO, etc.)roof on MH? And reasons why?

I have had a TPO roof on a Four Winds MH and its fine but I spend some serious time each year (at least 2X per year) cleaning and treating the material. So I keep it in good shape. But I am in the market for a new unit and not sure I want a rubber roof anymore.

As I have grown older I find those hours spent up on the roof maintaining the TPO are getting more stressful... I'm sure lots of you understand what I'm saying.

So is fiberglass better from a maintenance standpoint? Longevity standpoint? Or are there other factors I am failing to consider here?

Thank you for all input.
33 REPLIES 33

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 17 year old rubber roof it seems pretty good as in no cracks or old looking. I have seen two bubbles as big as a quarter. I'll keep an eye on it. I don't think Newmar would put junk on their coaches.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
wvabeer wrote:
This is what my fiberglass roof looked like after I was done.It leaked at the front where the cap connected, the last place I ever expected. 😞
It is odd the edge caps lay on top of the roof sheet rather than under it. it kind of creates a trap and vulnerability for water to enter through that seal.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Bruce_Brown
mike brez wrote:
That's a crappy design.

And there you have it - just because it's fiberglass doesn't mean it's quality or a good design.

IMO far too many people get hung up on the buzz words and marketing of the material rather than the actual design and installation.

As mentioned before, I've seen crappy "fiberglass" and I've seen quality BriteTek and TPO. I've also seen crappy TPO and excellent fiberglass. Heck our first MH had an aluminum roof and it worked excellent. On the BriteTek, Newmar is the only one I'm aware of the specifies "BriteTek" in their marketing materials, and when asked I have yet to hear of someone who wasn't happy with theirs, although like everything, I'm sure somewhere there is someone who isn't.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
That's a crappy design.

I agree, its a 92 Airstream Landyacht 33. I loved that thing but quality was not there during assembly.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
That's a crappy design.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
This is what my fiberglass roof looked like after I was done.It leaked at the front where the cap connected, the last place I ever expected. 😞
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
wvabeer wrote:
If this is what fiberglass roofs are all about, I'll not have another. I sealed this stuff exactly like Airstream said and after reinstalling 144 1/4 rivets, it still leaked. 😞

doh, the fiberglass didn't fail. your sealing job did however.
bumpy

My opinion, fiberglass is too ridged, it doesn't flex/stretch .
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wvabeer wrote:
If this is what fiberglass roofs are all about, I'll not have another. I sealed this stuff exactly like Airstream said and after reinstalling 144 1/4 rivets, it still leaked. 😞

doh, the fiberglass didn't fail. your sealing job did however.
bumpy

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Higher end coaches use fiberglass, so I would 'assume' they are better.
2014 American Eagle

siggyd777
Explorer
Explorer
My vote is for "BriteTek" , second motor home with No issues.
Siggy
Happy Trails
Siggy & Ursula
2011 Dutch Star 4020,ISL 400,Compr.brake,FTL XCR,IFS
Allison MH3000
2015 Jeep Cherokee,4x4 Active Drive II,V6 , Brake Buddy,Roadmaster Sterling,
Camping since 1975 Pop-Up,1986 22Ft.TT,1999 Gas MH,2005 KSDP,
2011 DSDP,FMCA 368283

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Two Jayhawks wrote:
Ava wrote:
my 94 Bounder has an original rubber roof and still looks good and have had no problems with it.

The rubber roof on my 1995 Bounder served us well also. It cleaned up easy and did it's job. I sold it to a close friend and as of last time I checked it is still doing it's job.

true friends don't let their "friends" have rubber roofs.
bumpy

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Ava wrote:
my 94 Bounder has an original rubber roof and still looks good and have had no problems with it.

The rubber roof on my 1995 Bounder served us well also. It cleaned up easy and did it's job. I sold it to a close friend and as of last time I checked it is still doing it's job.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

pacificnw
Explorer
Explorer
I have a TPO roof and depending on who you talk to the clean/treat cycle is recommended at either once a year or once a month. One product application is for cleaning and a separate product is for treating (UV, etc.). I have generally completed the clean/treat cycle at least once every year and often twice per year. I don't consider that a huge burden but as I get older I can see this "up on the roof" becoming more and more dicey. I don't mind doing maintenance I just would rather do the kind that does not have me up there on wet TPO.