cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rooftop AC for 144' Sprinter Conversion

alexk243
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased my T1N (04) Sprinter Passenger model and I am starting my conversion. The first thing I need to figure out it the AC and electronics.

I want the rear rooftop AC to supplement the front AC while driving (run of alternator) and be able to run when the RV is plugged in to AC shore line. If it could run off the batteries for a few hours that would be awesome, but not mandatory.

There will also be two roof vent fans and probably 200w solar setup. Once I figure out the right AC I think I can move onto inverter/battery setup.

Thank you guys in advance.
2003 VW Rialta
20 REPLIES 20

alexk243
Explorer
Explorer
Oh yeah I plan on putting a solenoid between the house and engine batteries
2003 VW Rialta

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
Most RV's use either a Fantastic Fan or a Maxxair as a ceiling fan. Both can be set to turn on and off automatically with temperature. You only need one for a class B.

It's a really bad idea to have a direct connection between the starting battery and the house battery. Accepted practice is to have an isolator that allows both to be charged by the alternator but prevents the starting battery from supplying electricity to the coach. If you accidentally deplete the house batter(ies) you can still start the van. Also deep cycle coach batteries and starting batteries are made very differently and do not play well together.

There is a lot of info on van systems in the Sportsmobile website (www.sportsmobile.com) but you might have to dig around a while to find what you need. They will also do partial builds on your van if there are parts of the conversion that you are not comfortable with.
Advanced RV Sprinter

alexk243
Explorer
Explorer
What gauge wiring would you guy suggest for this build?

Engine Batt to House Batt?
Inverter to fridge?
House Batt to accessories/lighting?
2003 VW Rialta

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
90 amps times 12 volts equals 1080 watts at maximum. That's not nearly enough even if the alternator always put out max amperage. A few lead acid batteries will put out even less amperage.

Advanced RV models have Lithium ion batteries rated at 400-800 amp-hours together with a second alternator that is dedicated to charging those batteries. That system or a substantial generator are the only ways that I know of to power an AC while underway.
Advanced RV Sprinter

Traveling_Pa
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 T1N Sportsmobile/Sprinter with a 90 amp alternator and a 120 volt air conditioner. I understand that with a heavy duty inverter I could run it while traveling. Additional coach batteries would be necessary to run it while parked. The passenger van probably has a smaller alternator to deal with.

alexk243
Explorer
Explorer
Mine does have a EGR valve.
2003 VW Rialta

alexk243
Explorer
Explorer
What effect does the EGR have on running dash air?
2003 VW Rialta

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
I think there is no EGR system in your van so running the dash air is doable as long as the van doesn't over heat.All brands of ceiling power vents have a thermostat version.

alexk243
Explorer
Explorer
Well if the outside temp is to hot for a dog then I wont leave them in there. I may try some sort of auto-start for the van that would kick on at a set temperature as a backup. Rooftop fans would be temperature controlled, but I will just never risk it in hot weather. Just nothing fail-proof for the dogs in really hot weather without a shore line.

Any suggestions for a temperature controlled Ceiling fan that could run in any weather?
2003 VW Rialta

Bob_N_
Explorer
Explorer
For several years we camped in a home-converted B-minus. This was on a short wheelbase ford van with tall top for standing head room. We had a 5000 btu AC unit mounted in the back wall of the top, and the cooling capacity was inadequate in hot weather. We never used it while driving(no generator)and it took forever to cool down the vehicle after stopping and hooking to shore power. These vans are not very well insulated, and even with added insulation, the heat gain in hot weather is severe. For the size van you have purchased I would suggest no less than 10,000 to 12,000 BTU.
Bob N
2002LTV Freedom 2a

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Do not think a fan will keep your dogs cool. It won't!
Fans cool by evaporating sweat, they will do very little to cool a dog because they don't sweat like humans do
A fan can circulate the air inside a van, but never make it any cooler than the outside ambient temp, and usually not come close to it.

alexk243
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Ill check that out. After doing a lot of research on this it looks like I may skip the rear AC for now and just invest in really good vent fans. See how that goes and maybe add an AC later if needed. My only concern was leaving dogs in there, but its not like the AC is foolproof for that either.
2003 VW Rialta

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
If you are planning on devising an electrical setup you should look at these: Part 2

Part 2

Part 1 is referenced here.

Sorry - double post
Advanced RV Sprinter

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
If you are planning on devising an electrical setup you should look at these: Part 2

Part 2

Part 1 is referenced here.
Advanced RV Sprinter