cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT ss Agile generator or alternator with 2500 watt inverter?

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all -- Posting this for a buddy who is planning on getting a new Roadtrek. I think the inverter will be fine because he will be doing very little dry camping. One question he asked me that I couldn't answer was, can the inverter run the house A/C?

One more question, is Roastrek a quality manufacture? I'm a C guy so I have no idea. Their web site says they are number 1, is that true.

Thanks!
2002 27PBS Holiday Rambler (Aluminum sided/roof) Love it!

Previous RV's
'94 Jamboree 22ft. (This beast had a 460 with tons of power)
'95 VW Eurovan camper (5 cyl. dog) Pulled a 3 rail fine though.
Tent:(
Borrowed folks '84 VW Westfalia (water cooled)
16 REPLIES 16

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The closest model I can compare the E-trek with is one of Sportsmobile offerings (the only Sprinter model they show off on YouTube). It definitely doesn't have the sizzle the E-trek does, but it has a diesel stove (the diesel combustion intake and exhaust is blown to the outside like the furnace so no fumes inside), a diesel flat plate water heater, a hydronic heater, and a Powertech diesel generator. Both get the same results, and both are pretty close in price, although the lithium-ion batteries would make the E-Trek more expensive.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
A motorhome drawing electrical power from a battery bank, solar chargers, and a big engine-driven alternator would be my preference, avoiding the weight and maintenance issues of a separate genset, and hopefully, eliminating the LPG fueled systems. I know gas engines handle the task fairly well, they've been dealing with similar light loads for years, running air conditioning in urban traffic. Diesel has recently gotten more complicated with emissions control add-ons.

Limitations are really just cost, how much more will the consumer pay? There is a weight issue for the batteries, but that can be overcome with lithium technologies, which brings us right back to cost. Big alternators aren't that much more expensive, but batteries, clean inverters, and solar charging are, and a sub 3KW genset powered by a small, primitive air-cooled engine is relatively cheap, and compared to lead-acid batteries, lightweight.

The premium on the E-trek is what, about $10K? Which model do we compare it with?
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I can see one use for the engine generator, and that is when on the road, all electrical appliances are usable, so the roof A/C can be used, or maybe one can pull over and run the microwave. Even then, it isn't a bad idea to run the onboard generator just for upkeep reasons.

Time will tell about how well this works. Because of the new EPA regs, the new engineering around DEF and DPF is relatively new. Maybe if there were a way to trigger a DPF regen cycle manually when one knows they will be at highway speeds for a bit, it might help things.

If given the option, I'd take the engine generator even if the rig had another genset onboard, just for the flexibility.

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think the engine generator would be used any different than using the Onan. Is the Sprinter at fast idle louder than the Onan?
With the modern gas, and Diesel engines I really don't think 45 minutes of idling is a problem as far as engine wear is concerned. It does burn gas, and cause pollution, but so does running the generator. I know the Sprinter needs to be driven at higher speeds after idling, or extended urban driving to clean out the DEF filter, but other than that I don't see a problem.
The owners on the Rt FB page, who have the conversion, all seem pretty happy with the performance. I don't know enough about it to form an opinion, so I can't criticize, or applaud it.

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Try running your engine around here for more than 3 minutes and you can be cited by strata for noise violations. Using the car engine to power coach systems seems a lame alternative unless you can do it at no expense to engine wear and tear and your nerves plus are allowed to which isnt the case unless you are in the middle of a huge Walmart parking lot with no one around. I dont get it. Seems to be a non-solution to a problem which didnt exist in the first place. Nothing wrong with a generator IF you can run it.

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
I was just looking at the RT line, did not see an all-electric option on the Agile.

The E-Trek has the capability to run everything through its large inverter, leaving the diesel engine running as a power source for heavy loads like A/C. Battery bank is big enough for short term use of other heavy loads like microwave, running the engine remains as backup. It is an interesting idea just now, because truckers used to do this all the time, but several jurisdictions have outlawed extended idling, forcing carriers to install auxilary gensets. But for now, private vehicles may be exempt for rules that try to make truckers more environmentally responsible, whether the choices are better or not.

There's an all electric option for some Chevy models, more battery, bigger alternators, and a large inverter, and there is an all electric entry level model operating at 1250w, neither will run A/C long, the smaller one not at all.

I couldn't find a similar option for the Agile, but maybe it is just not in the brochures yet. What it would have to be would be E-trek in Agile size, maybe not as many batteries, depending on whether or not they can be fit and the weight carried by a smaller Sprinter.

It was quoted to my buddy in the Agile but with just 2 batteries. I think it's a pretty good option for him as he would rarely use the generator.

Previous RV's

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think there is any place in the US that has a law against extended idling except for commercial vehicles, and I believe that is only in certain places, like cities, parks, maybe rest stops, etc.
This good change, but it would most likely only be in certain areas like those mentioned above.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was just looking at the RT line, did not see an all-electric option on the Agile.

The E-Trek has the capability to run everything through its large inverter, leaving the diesel engine running as a power source for heavy loads like A/C. Battery bank is big enough for short term use of other heavy loads like microwave, running the engine remains as backup. It is an interesting idea just now, because truckers used to do this all the time, but several jurisdictions have outlawed extended idling, forcing carriers to install auxilary gensets. But for now, private vehicles may be exempt for rules that try to make truckers more environmentally responsible, whether the choices are better or not.

There's an all electric option for some Chevy models, more battery, bigger alternators, and a large inverter, and there is an all electric entry level model operating at 1250w, neither will run A/C long, the smaller one not at all.

I couldn't find a similar option for the Agile, but maybe it is just not in the brochures yet. What it would have to be would be E-trek in Agile size, maybe not as many batteries, depending on whether or not they can be fit and the weight carried by a smaller Sprinter.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
1: Get the Onan. Even though RT touts the "engine generator", running a Sprinter at idle, especially a new model, can get you a clogged diesel particulate filter, which is a $3200 expense. Plus, it is better to put the wear and tear on a generator than your vehicle's engine.

The inverter won't run the AC or microwave, but it is nice to have when late at night and wanting to plug stuff in to have it charge, or use an electric shaver.

2: Roadtrek has an extremely good name. You really can't go wrong with a RT model, but make sure you get the right floorplan. The CS Adventurous can go with a lot of the E-Trek's features, but still have a propane generator.

As for #1, Roadtrek is the top dog with sales, but Airstream is nipping at their heels, as per the figures on the class B forum.

PS: Is this a SS Agile as per the title? I'm not sure if the "engine generator" is available on this model. It might be. So, it would be a very good idea to get it with the onboard Onan regardless.

Explorer
Explorer
What you are talking about is the new Roadtrek engine generator. This will run the A/C and the microwave and works with the van engine idling. This is available for both gas (Chevy) and diesel (Sprinter) Roadtreks and replaces or is installed instead of the Onan 2800 watt generator which is independent of the van engine and runs on gas or propane. The engine generator is usually combined with a large capacity inverter and additional batteries or solar panels. The Onan doesn't need the inverter. The engine generator and batteries/inverter is a scaled down version of what is standard on the Etrek.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Is the inverter being powered by the alternator?

Yep, thats part of the $2700 upgrade. From what I understand the engine is running and the 2500 watt inverter is powering everything. Maybe I wasn't clear. So, with that said maybe it could power the A/C?

Previous RV's

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Is the inverter being powered by the alternator?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
Will the 2500 watt inverter run the microwave? If not, what would the point of that $2700 option?

Previous RV's

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt that it could drive the A/C and even if it could he would need a trailer to haul the additional batteries. 🙂
Personally, I would always opt for a generator. I have a Honda 2K gen. and it will only run my 7500 BTU A/C and nothing else. If I were buying a new RV, class B, it would have an Onan 2800KW gen
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)