cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rust stains on carpet or fabric?

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
I had no idea there was anything to take rust marks out of fabric. Has anybody tried this product?
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background
14 REPLIES 14

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
islandpaddler wrote:
As for the cast iron pans. Good grief. I wish you threw them out my way. If they have rust, all you need to do is scrub them with shortening or salad oil.

with a little salt.
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

islandpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
The is a product you can buy in the laundry section of any supermarket called Whink. It removes rust from clothes and doesn't harm them. I suppose you could use it on upholstery if you were able to rinse it good. I've also used it on tile floors where a metal lamp left a rust stain. I live in a humid climate.

As for the cast iron pans. Good grief. I wish you threw them out my way. If they have rust, all you need to do is scrub them with shortening or salad oil.

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Another one you could try is CLR. Don't know if it is available stateside though.
1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I have used this product, not on carpet though, on fabric. Worked great. In fact, I should totally try it in our B. We have rust stains on the carpet where the bolts held our extra seat in place. Hmmm. Be right back...

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
CA POPPY wrote:
I have a cast iron pan that was given to me, never used, unseasoned and rusted. I put half a bottle of lemon juice on it, let it sit ad tried to wipe it clean, repeatedly. No go, not a bit. The rust wins, the pan is in the Goodwill box. I'm sticking with Calphalon and Swiss Diamond.I was never cut out to be a pioneer.

I find only limited use for cast iron myself, melting sugar for one (either flan, pineapple upside down cake, peanut brittle) for example. But anyone who has ever cooked tomato sauce in cast iron knows it strips everything out. Tomato is also acid. The key is to heat the acid. Vinegar works better than lemon juice (and is cheaper) but tomato sauce clings. But like you, I dare anyone to get between me and my non-stick cookware!!

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Drsolo sounds like a great teacher. I have a cast iron pan that was given to me, never used, unseasoned and rusted. I put half a bottle of lemon juice on it, let it sit ad tried to wipe it clean, repeatedly. No go, not a bit. The rust wins, the pan is in the Goodwill box. I'm sticking with Calphalon and Swiss Diamond.I was never cut out to be a pioneer.
Darcy the Min Pin

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
Upholstery cannot rust. It is plastic which is not a metal and it is very inert anyway being a plastic.

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
And I didnt answer the question anyway... sheesh. Mild acid like lemon juice will not eat fabric, well maybe silk, but not upholstery.

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad

So it will likely damage the carpet or upholstery, right? I always thought rust ate up whatever it attached itself to. I guess we just can't win. :R

No. Rust ON something just sits there like any other colorant. When a car is rusting, the problem is the rust falls off and exposes more elemental iron (Fe0) which is converted to rust (Fe3+) in the presence of 1. salts and 2. water. Now aluminum also "oxidizes" but the ionic form of Al+ does NOT fall off and forms a protective barrier so the oxidizing aka rusting stops. Think of rust more like a stain that can be removed, but it is removed with acid. Weak acids can do fine but slowly, while strong acids work fast. BTW, acids also remove Calcium, which is why vinegar is poured into coffee makers to get rid of precipitated or elemental Calcium. Heated vinegar works faster.

In general the elemental form of metal is "solid", like shiny copper. But when exposed to air (oxygen), mild acid and water (rain) it oxidizes to that nice green color, the patina. Dark silver is also oxidized silver, it can be rubbed off, or, pushed back from the ionic form to silver metal by that method with aluminum and baking soda. All of this is about "who has the electrons". Metals have the electrons, ionic aka oxidized forms have lost their electrons. If you give silver back electrons by taking them from aluminum, you get silver metal back.

Ingrid now getting off her teacher soap box... sorry.

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
drsolo wrote:

It is just a strong acid.

So it will likely damage the carpet or upholstery, right? I always thought rust ate up whatever it attached itself to. I guess we just can't win. :R
Darcy the Min Pin

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
That product sounds awfully handy to keep around, though.

It is just a strong acid.

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
drsolo wrote:
Rust is ionized iron. Need to drive the chemical reaction back to elemental iron. iron chemistry The usual is lemon juice and salt.

Very interesting, thanks! I didn't take chemistry in school and have to admit throwing out clothes, etc with rust stains. I knew about the lemon juice on silver, etc, but no idea it might work on fabric.

That product sounds awfully handy to keep around, though.
Darcy the Min Pin

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
Rust is ionized iron. Need to drive the chemical reaction back to elemental iron. iron chemistry The usual is lemon juice and salt.
Here is another way: Removing oxidation from silver which involves a different reduction-oxidation of metal ions.

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Lemon juice.
1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.