cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Cover

Mk1putt
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, looking for recommendations for winter RV outdoor cover. We live in Michigan and wondering if there are special things to consider?

Thank you
8 REPLIES 8

Mk1putt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback. I have heard recently that covering it is a waste. Though still undecided I thank you for the information

Cheers

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Been using a ADCO on our Class C in sunny California and love it. Helps keep the harmful and paint fading UV light from doing its damage. It takes me all of 15 minutes (or less) to put on. I get it started by having the cover (our coach is 22') bunched up on the hood/windshield area and them my wife uses a rake handle pole to get it started up to me on the roof. Easier than one thinks. Money well spent IMO.

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
I cover mine with a barn. Previous poster had it right about lots of holes everywhere.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a 29' class C, bought an ADCO cover for it, biggest waste of money yet.
Even though the straps were tightened, when the wind blew, it wore holes in the cover, everywhere it touched, the toggle levers for the awning, slide toppers, & any corner, had to remove the drip extensions, all in all, a Major PITA to put on & take off.
When I took it off this spring, it got wadded into a bundle & tossed into a dumpster.
I have ordered a 20X41X12 metal RV/car port.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
Must be a reason as none of the 300 units in the storage facility we use is covered - we all know its a bad idea - causes more harm than good - save your money

Just covered my TT this past weekend. It's the fourth year it will be covered with the ADCO cover I purchased and the benefits in my mind far outweigh the $225 I paid for it and the time it takes to put it on and take it off.

I winterize, wash and wax my TT before covering it. In the Spring when the new camping season starts I start the season with a shiny, clean TT. No dirt, dust, leaves, bird **** or other stuff that has been sitting on it for months to remove. In my opinion that's the way you want to start the camping season.

In addition the cover provides some rain and UV protection. The cover isn't water proof but breathable. I leave one window partially open and have had no issues with mold or mildew. There is still access to the interior of the TT with the cover on should you need to get inside.

Is there some work involved in putting it on and taking it off? Yes, about 30 ~ 45 minutes worth with one person doing it. That said I have to imagine cleaning the TT after sitting our in the elements for six months would take a whole lot longer.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Must be a reason as none of the 300 units in the storage facility we use is covered - we all know its a bad idea - causes more harm than good - save your money
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mk1putt wrote:
Hello, looking for recommendations for winter RV outdoor cover. We live in Michigan and wondering if there are special things to consider?

Thank you
Mk1putt - I had a short Class A and bought an ADCO tyvek cover. Never really thought through the problem of getting it on and off. You have to be a little acrobatic. I climbed up the back ladder dragging this cover that weighed about 50 lbs. Walked to the front and then tried to find the front of this mass of material and carefully drape it over the front of the RV without falling off. Then gradually worked my way back to the rear. Had to avoid stepping on the crank up antenna, the air vents, the tank vents, the air conditioner, the bubble top over the shower, etc. Now had to find the rear ladder while under the cover as you can't see the ladder if you are above the cover. I brought the sides down and pulled them under the RV and attached them to the frame with strong "bungee cords". Seemed to protect very well all winter. Then came spring and time to remove the cover. Had to climb the ladder while under the cover to the top of the RV. Then try to not fall off the side while pulling up the sides and tossing the cover forward until the entire cover could be tossed on the ground. The second year, found some indoor storage a little ways away from home and that is where the RV got parked for the winter. Sold that Class A and made a present to the new owner of the cover. Bought a Class C and it sleeps indoors for the winter. Also much easier to visit the RV, start and exercise the generator, plug in the electric heater, pop some pop corn, and watch a little TV
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Sunshield tarp with black side up in the winter and silver side up in the summer. Covers the top and part of the sides. Have for years.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)