cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Selection & Electrical Question

swwyld12
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I have a rather strange question. I am looking to buy either a class C or Class A motorhome (both used). Unfortunately, there is a complicating factor: I have toured both Class A and Cass C units and, considering size, they are both acceptable. Here is my issue, I am required to use a medical device (which run nearly 18 hours per day and pulls about 10 amps @ 110v. So, I could get a class A without any electrical modifications or a class C with either a modified electrical system (increasing it to 50 amps since most come in 30 amps) or I can get a class C and add two power outlets which would be attached separately to the power hookup.

For completions sake, I am buying this unit because I am starting graduate school and will need to travel to new locations every 4-6 weeks for about three years, and this seemed a lot more feasible then packing and moving every 4-6 weeks.

So, as I am new to this, I would appreciate any and all advice that you guys can provide.

Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18

swwyld12
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, this is a lot of good perspectives! To be honest, I do not mind running a separate cable for each setup, but I am concerned about the management of each of the CG's with regards to their acceptance of the presence of a second cable. Should the second cable be inadvertently unplugged, it is not a big issue, but I would be worried about them not allowing me to plug it back in, and being forced to utilize the available circuit in the MH. Because of this, I think a 50 amp rig would be better (even if the amperage is not needed, it will provide piece of mind that I will not need to have an awkward encounter with the management).

My final question is this: As I look, there is a fairly big array of units available. So, I was wondering your opinions on these options:

1) Private Seller vs Dealer (with a private mechanic inspection for either)

2) It appears that I can get a unit that is newer with a good bit of miles or an older one with lower miles. Do you have a preference which you prefer? In other words, is it better to have a newer unit that has moved more or an older unit that has been more stationary? I know that maintenance is a primary concern, but lets assume that both are equally maintained.

3) Is there anything else you think I should know when starting to look at rigs?

Thanks again to everyone!

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mich F wrote:
I believe toedtoes has the simplest/cheapest solution. Actually it doesn't have to be that complicated. You should be able to just plug in an extension cord into a campground pedestal and just plug your oxygen concentrator into the extension cord. Most motor homes are going to have at least one place where an extension cord could be snaked into the body of the unit. Most pedestals will have 30A service and 1 or 2 15 or 20A outlets.

I almost had suggested to just run an extension cord from the device to the pedestal, but I thought since the RV would be moved every 1 to 1-1/2 months for 3 years (about 24 to 36 moves), the OP might not want to have to deal with threading the cord through a compartment with every move.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
A full-time device with that much draw is not going to do well in a RV with 30 amp electrical system, if you intend to run air conditioning. Loads are going to be unpredictable with out a load manager (which rarely includes convenience outlets). The circuits you might choose to use may or may not have 6-10 amps available depending what else is running. You could probably make it work if you understood the 120V power distribution of each RV you considered buying, but information with that detail is seldom unavailable.

In a 50 amp rig, you will still have issues with which branch circuits you can safely use, which might be susceptible to other loads. At least you should not have to worry about the main. Many 50 amp RV rigs have one A/C and all the convenience outlet and "hard wired" circuits on one leg of the dual 50 amp, and the second (and third, fourth) air conditioners on the other. They also often have power management systems for running on a single leg. You will not see this kind of electrical sophistication in Class C RVs, more often it is a feature of larger Class A motorhomes, those large enough to need at least two conditioners for comfort.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Since it is a medical device... verify with management that two cords is OK.
A few say no and getting unplugged could be inconvenient.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I believe toedtoes has the simplest/cheapest solution. Actually it doesn't have to be that complicated. You should be able to just plug in an extension cord into a campground pedestal and just plug your oxygen concentrator into the extension cord. Most motor homes are going to have at least one place where an extension cord could be snaked into the body of the unit. Most pedestals will have 30A service and 1 or 2 15 or 20A outlets.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I am an electrician and a heating guy.
First check that the heating system in what ever RV you pick, will keep you warm in the winter. Most RV's will not in the Northern States.
And you will quite likely will have to refill your LP tank every few days.
If you use electric heat, it may not keep your water pipes from freezing.

Most cords that plug into the power posts, terminate in the electrical boot right below the breaker panel inside the coach. I would think the biggest problem changing to a 50 amp panel would making it fit. I'm assuming that a 50 amp panel is physically bigger.

Good Luck,
Dusty

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I don't think you will have any issues that can't be managed on 30 amps.
Worst case any decent RV shop can upgrade you to 50a supply.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't do a lot of hookup RVing (I do dry camping), but the pedestals I've seen mostly have one of each (15amp, 30amp, and 50amp). I believe I saw one with 2-15amp, 1-30amp, and 1-50amp.

I am not an electrician, nor do I have a lot of experience with RV electrical systems, so I will let others provide technical knowledge. I'm just looking at this from a "practical" and "as little expense required" to get what you need. Re-wiring for 50 amp could be a LOT of work as you'd have to upgrade all the wiring inside the RV (meaning you'd have to get into the walls). Adding a 30amp secondary would work, but you'd end up having to use an adapter to plug it into the 50amp or 15amp plug (since the 30amp would be used by your main power supply and you're likely only going to have one 30amp outlet).

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
swwyld12 wrote:
with a standard 50 or 30 amp hookup, are there normally traditional power outlets available?
yes
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

swwyld12
Explorer
Explorer
I am very interested in the idea of adding a 15 amp outlet to be used in conjunction with the 30 or 50 amp hookup for the unit. My only question there is this: are these types of hookups normally available? That is, with a standard 50 or 30 amp hookup, are there normally traditional power outlets available?

Financially, I do not plan to finance (cash) as I think its better for negotiating a better price.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Will you be financing? A lot of banks/credit unions won't finance an RV that is over 10 years old. That could make your decision for you as to which way to go.

If all you're wanting to add is the 10amp concentrator, maybe you could simply add a 15 amp (household) power outlet and cord. I think you are more likely to find pedestals with one 15 amp and one 30 OR 50 amp hookup (rather than 2 - 30 amp or 1 - 30 and 1 -50 amp). This would likely require little work as you could install the outlet on the inside, install a male plug on the outside (directly opposite the outlet) and then run an extension cord from the outside male plug to the pedestal. And you wouldn't have to worry about needing adapters.

swwyld12
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I do have a different kind of unit. The portable battery operated units only provide low intermittent flow while the one I require is a high output unit. I would love to be able o use one of the smaller ones, but we've tried in the past and it has been an complete failure. Thats the big limitation, the device I have now is the best that the power draw is going to get.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
swwyld12 wrote:
Thanks. The equipment is an oxygen concentrator (with a normal draw of about 6.5 amps, but with a startup power requirement of 10 amps).
Some of these units are portable, with batteries. They don't draw anywhere near that kind of power @ 120v.

You have a different kind of unit?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

swwyld12
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. The equipment is an oxygen concentrator (with a normal draw of about 6.5 amps, but with a startup power requirement of 10 amps). It is not an issue if it occasionally trips a breaker, but, as I would be living in this rig for a prolonged time, I was worried if this would become an issue (computer running, heat in the winter, a/c in the summer, and fridge running). I know that a Class A, on the surface, is my best bet, but, based on my budget ($30-45k), it would heve to be a class A that is 12-15 years old, and I am not sure how they tend to hold up.