cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV sitting for over 2 years - recommendations

bamaspiveys
Explorer
Explorer
So, I am still shopping and have found an RV that has been sitting up for a while: It is a 2006 Phaeton with 15,000 miles. The owner says it has not been used in a little over 2 years, he cranks it and runs the generator when he thinks about it but it has not moved in 2years.

If I buy this coach what do you do with the engine, trans & genset?

I talked to 3 local RV service depts and got mixed messages from all of them.
Service Dept #1 said drive it like it is, oil does not break down in a bottle on the shelf and it does not breakdown in an oil pan either. Don't touch the trans, as soon as you start changing filters you are gonna move a piece of dirt in the trans and the problems will begin.

Service Dept #2 Change it all. Start with all new filters and fluids in the engine, trans and genset.
( I tend to lean in this direction)

Service Dept #3 said change the oil and filter for the engine, and genset, change the filters on the trans but not the fluid.

After those three calls I was more confused than when I started.....

GO.
24 REPLIES 24

doublev
Explorer
Explorer
If you are getting a good deal and the coach is otherwise in excellent condition, then go for it. Sounds like a great coach to me since it has little wear and tear on the inside given these conditions. There are pluses and minuses.

To me, the price is the most important factor. I have let my coach sit for 6-12 months all the time. I am using it now after it sat in storage for 12 months. I have a list of things "to do" on the coach. A lot of it, though, is nothing to do with it sitting around. Some things have broken but I attribute it to the item being 8 years old and not because the coach just sat around.

That 2006 might need new batteries and not just need new tires. You would have had to do these expensive things whether he drove it or not (I spent $10k on batteries and tires just recently). So the price is key here. Assume you are going to need to spend $15,000 on it and hopefully you can get everything done for half of that.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
Well let's see I have actually done this. I had my 1994 PaceArrow with a 454 for 14 years and life got a little busy and it sat for almost two years without being used in my backyard. When time came to use it de-winterized and used it with no problems.

You are surely not alone!

I tell the story of buying two Mack Dump Trucks that had been sitting for 10 years - 10 - put batteries in them - pumped up the tires drove them to the shop. Where we changed fluids and put them to work for three years - without even a broken hose.

10 Years - I surely think 24 months will survive - if the deal is right jump on it.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Well let's see I have actually done this. I had my 1994 PaceArrow with a 454 for 14 years and life got a little busy and it sat for almost two years without being used in my backyard. When time came to use it de-winterized and used it with no problems.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
If he buys a pig in a poke, nobody but him is out the money. You guys will argue over anything.

If you wanted to ruin a perfect MH then you do what the seller has done. Condensation in the engine and entire fuel system, it's not been kept full. Now let's talk moisture penetration in the MH. If it's not been dehumidified inside it will have mildewed, perhaps in places you don't see. Mice? I'm sure, what have they chewed behind the dash, not to mention chassis wiring. Tires have not rolled in two years. Then there are all the Tiffin issues to be checked.

Here

Enjoy!
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
Option #2 is you most prudent choice. Two years isn't all that long and I would suspect the various systems should be OK. Get the maintenance back on schedule based on the OEM recommended service intervals and if the owner has service records. Once all fluids are changed, including coolant, start giving attention to other areas such of hydraulics, air, belts and hoses as time and budget allow.

Tires are probably around the age of collecting a pension so get them replaced first and don't forget the various lubrication points on the suspension.

If you think back to 96' and 08' there were many New rigs that sat for a lot longer than 2 years - I've run equipment that sat for years then run hard with no problem, IMHO 24 months is not that big a deal and if you look around there are many who are on this forum who own rigs that haven't been far over the last two years, or longer - so if you like and the deal makes sense to you then go for it.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, it's not that easy. It might be easy for you, but you are not the one buying the coach. Not every coach has what a coach owner wants and when you find that rare one that does it's worth a 2nd and 3rd and 4th look. There's nothing worse than passing on the perfect coach and find that you settled for something inferior.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
This is easy. Take a pass. Lots of nice, well maintained Mh homes you don't have to gamble on.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Since you're a new member, a word of advice. When seeking answers to a question take in account where the answer is coming from. An answer of do nothing from a person in Arizona, might be correct in Arizona. An answer of swap out the fluids would be correct for a person in Kentucky. An answer of two years isn't that long might be correct up in the frozen north where rigs sit in subzero temps for months on end.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate post.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
DON'T forget the brakes....the brake lines, reservoir...rust, etc.. Sitting for 2 years it MIGHT need a flush and new brake fluid.

g'luck!

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Option #2 is you most prudent choice. Two years isn't all that long and I would suspect the various systems should be OK. Get the maintenance back on schedule based on the OEM recommended service intervals and if the owner has service records. Once all fluids are changed, including coolant, start giving attention to other areas such of hydraulics, air, belts and hoses as time and budget allow.

Tires are probably around the age of collecting a pension so get them replaced first and don't forget the various lubrication points on the suspension.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Don't matter if it's gas or diesel run 3 cans of Seafoam thru the engine and genset it will clean your fuel system up after sitting for a couple of years. Seafoam is $6.94 per can at Walmart and 3 cans will treat a 50 gallon fuel tank. Pour the Seafoam in first then fuel!

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
If, he really has "cranked it up when he thinks about it" (but doesn't drive it)
be sure to take the oil fill cap off the engine and check for moisture/RUST.

No way to get rid of the moisture in a diesel engine except on the road under load. Starting and idling, even fast idle only adds moisture to the crankcase.

Said another way, you can get the COOLANT up to operating temperature without driving, but can NOT get the OIL/CRANKCASE up to operating temperature.

Not sure I agree with this. Many stationary engines operate at a RPM faster than an idle and with a slight if any load and are in service for decades.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm of a different mind 2 years while not good, isn't a killer .. Farmers let Machines set and have no problems.
I agree more with 3 ..... only I'd add that I'd test all the fluids ( send a sample to labs ) in fact I'd make oil/ tyrany and coolant tests part of the purchase ... Good reports or no sale then change oil And oil and fuel filters but id just change the tyrany filters the synthetic in there has little chance of being a problem. To be honest the rig hasn't even been broke in yet. Sure the sitting isn't good for it but it isn't a death sentence. Especially since I doubt your planning on getting even 500,000 miles out of it ! Just a portion of its rated life.
The company I worked for changed tractor oil based on oil samples ... At around 100,000 miles !! and we had tractors that were 1.1-1.5 million miles with little or no work
Bill