cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling an RV - Where to list

aw2055989
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody got an RV for sale and finding it tough to sell? I have one listed on RVTrader and Craigslist, have had it listed for over 6 months now with no takers. A few lookers but that's about it. Are there other sites to list it on worth paying for? Seems like the market is down for RVs right now, would you agree? I'm just looking for suggestions to move this unit if anybody as one. Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

daveshoby
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently searching for our next RV. Not ready to buy yet but the search has begun. Not my first rig, had Class A gas and Diesel over the years. Amazed at the number of rigs priced $20k over high retail! I don't care what you owe, not my problem, and refrigerators and generators and awnings, etc are not accessories. I don't care what the salesman told you! Go to NADA, price your rig midway between low and high retail without trying to add so called accessories and you will be fairly priced and calls will come in. Just my opinion, but have had several rigs over the last 30+ years. Always been my method, buying or selling.

Peaeye10445321
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
What are you trying to sell?
I am going to move up to a class a. I may be interested.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
The market is booming for new and used coaches. Google it and you should find 2015 very strong compared to the last ten years. I'm sure your coach will sell quite quickly when it is marketed and priced right. Before I bothered with a consignment deal 500 miles away I would sure lower my price and see what kind of buzz you get.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

aw2055989
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions. I checked out a few things. I haven't heard of PPL so I'm going to look into that. I've heard of MHSRV just south of Dallas. I checked them out but they didn't seem to think they could help me. Again, I appreciate all the insight. Thanks.

Joatha
Explorer
Explorer
aw2055989 wrote:
Anybody got an RV for sale and finding it tough to sell? I have one listed on RVTrader and Craigslist, have had it listed for over 6 months now with no takers. A few lookers but that's about it. Are there other sites to list it on worth paying for? Seems like the market is down for RVs right now, would you agree? I'm just looking for suggestions to move this unit if anybody as one. Thanks.

If you have had it listed for 6 months with no takers then one (or some combination) of the following is the issue:

1. Price is too high. Check eBay for completed listings, compare vs NADA (and don't add in all the items that come standard with your RV as options) and figure you won't get more than low retail, and check other sites for asking prices of other units (and look at the listing dates to get an idea of what has been out there for a while).

2. Pictures are of poor quality. Take your time and take some good pictures. They are invaluable.

3. Pictures show a messy RV. People are turned off by a picture with a mess in it.

4. You have it incorrectly listed (not likely).
2001 Bluebird Wanderlodge LX ME

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Colo Native wrote:
Took me 8 months to sell use Craigslist, rvtrader, rvt, sold off craigslist. If you go to PPL I think they take 10%. Price might be to high

There's the rub. It might be worth dropping the price 5% than to pay a consignment shop 10%. That said there are obvious advantages to consignment, like they are a dealership, can market better, can show it all day, and offer financing. Financing option is a pretty big deal. Otherwise a private sale buyer either needs cash or get a loan on his own.
2013 ACE 29.2

philandterri
Explorer
Explorer
We had ours for sale on RVTrader for about a month at low retail, no luck. Dropped the price to below low retail and it sold within a week.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
Took me 8 months to sell use Craigslist, rvtrader, rvt, sold off craigslist. If you go to PPL I think they take 10%. Price might be to high
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Take it down to PPL consignment in Houston. They sold ours in one month.

What's their fee?

10%. We figured it in with the our asking price. Also, we named our price; they only gave suggestions. It was so easy to deal with them and got paid immediately. No advertising for us, telephone calls, appointment set-ups then 'no shows'. Also, we would have needed to use a storage space so we'd have to take it out to open the slides or test drive. This way it required no effort on our part.

A couple flew in from Florida to buy it. They have a LOT of customer activity and folks bringing them in and others driving them out. We were amazed at how busy they were.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
aw2055989 wrote:

Don't know what you have or for how much, but it's usually pretty hard for a private seller to get more than low retail and usually less, unless it's something very special. Then and considering that people also finance the things, along with the bank not always being the friendlies towards lending a large percentage of the selling price, it gets even tougher. Unless of course you can advertise....buy here, pay here, nothing down and no payments for 45 days. Yeah right!
Don't know about you, but I'll usually take anything on trade for the right amount, cuz it's better to have some money in your pocket with something to sell, than it is for having no money in your pocket and having to sell.
Surprisingly how many don't see this and I've had people turn down trade offers for a Corvette, without even asking what it was. I mean, it could have been a 67 L88 for all they knew, so go figure.
I traded off our last Motorhome even for a boat, which I wanted anyway and in this case, the boat was worth 3 - 4 times what the coach was worth, but hey he wanted it and was extremely happy with the deal, so......
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lower your price.......
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:

What's their fee?
2013 ACE 29.2

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel