cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shiny RV with Red Max Pro (pics)

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you use this stuff? We were getting that chalky finish with faded and peeling graphics. I was waxing it with Meguiars--trying to avoid the graphics and spray them with 303 Protectant instead. I spray the dirt off after almost every trip too. We've only had it 15 months--I hated to see it get "old looking" under my care.
Replant just mentioned Lowes Red Max Pro and I read the links. Wow! Why not take the chance that the fiberglass would be looking shiny and new?
It worked! Here are a few pics.

The graphics bleed out color when washed.

And they were peeling up at the edges. I took a flat razor blade holder and trimmed off the peeling edges--

This is after the trimming. They are a bit ragged in places, but at least no longer peeling.

I used my little power sprayer with TSP in it and scrubbed with Bar Keeper's Friend as recommended.

This is the tire cover with one side is just washed with a sponge and TSP, the other is washed with a green scrubbie and Bar Keeper's Friend. I also used the white scrubbie (1000 grit sandpaper grade and much more expensive) for scratches--it did wonders even on the cab metal but for most of the job I used the cheap green stuff. I completely wore out 4 half sheets!

This is a "before" of the cleaned passenger side.

Red Max Pro Step 3 ready to apply.

Finished! It took me about 10 hours to do the job.

Plus I washed and waxed the cab. But by this time I was losing daylight so it is harder to see the shine.
I'm really pleased with the results. The recommendation is a new coat every year--that is a lot longer time period than waxing.
This was a good project for the start of a great season. I think it was worth the effort!
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021
413 REPLIES 413

TerryBroadbent
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
I did something similar. I did 4 initial coats. Then, after 3 months, I gave it ....

4x4...you're rig looks amazing in the before.after pics. I'm ready to tackle getting our 84 Monaco 26' Riviera to that kind of shine, now I know exactly what to do! Thanks!

Our rig was well maintained over it's years so she's worth the polishing effort. :C
Really Clean Monaco Riviera Mini Motorhome 26 1984
Auto Jacks and the works!

We Love This Thing.

Get up and Get out ๐Ÿ˜‰. . . . The Family Fun Begins !

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
mikhen wrote:
Well it's been a few weeks since I used RMP. I planned on adding this step from the start. I applied the 4 coats originally a few weeks ago. Used the RV, and let it set. This past weekend, I washed it using dawn, then I applied a final coat of RMP, just to even out any missed spots, etc. The result is great. And I found washing bugs off is real easy.
A tip for everyone new trying this....clean the window trim, door handle, etc very well. If you have black trim and there's any scratches in it, use a black sharpie to touch it up. The go ahead and RMP the trim. The result is a jet black trim that shines.
I took pictures, but when I went to check them and edit them, I realized I'm not a photographer. O well, our RV shines either way.

I did something similar. I did 4 initial coats. Then, after 3 months, I gave it a good wash job and added one more coat. Red Max is the Bomb!!!!
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

WOJO_1
Explorer
Explorer
mikhen wrote:
Looking through the pages of this thread, I missed the answer I was looking for.
Is Zep floor finish at Home Depot the same as RMP? I see Zep has a wet look, a standard traffic, and a high traffic version. I would guess the wet look is what I want.

Just asking ahead of time, because according to Lowes' website, the 6 local Lowes don't carry RMP.

Don't believe the web site all the time. Our Lowes showed no inventory. I stopped there anyway. They had it in the cleaning supply area. Not the flooring area. 2 gallons that did not show up doing a search but they did have it. Picked up both of them.
2002 Duramax 4X4 CC SB
2005 Cougar 296EFS
Reese 16K Slider
2 Hondas in the front storage compartment
TTT Mirrors

mikhen
Explorer
Explorer
Well it's been a few weeks since I used RMP. I planned on adding this step from the start. I applied the 4 coats originally a few weeks ago. Used the RV, and let it set. This past weekend, I washed it using dawn, then I applied a final coat of RMP, just to even out any missed spots, etc. The result is great. And I found washing bugs off is real easy.
A tip for everyone new trying this....clean the window trim, door handle, etc very well. If you have black trim and there's any scratches in it, use a black sharpie to touch it up. The go ahead and RMP the trim. The result is a jet black trim that shines.
I took pictures, but when I went to check them and edit them, I realized I'm not a photographer. O well, our RV shines either way.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Just to be safe, I washed it again with detergent, but really didn't look any more even. So I decided to do a 3x4 test area with RMP and it evened out the blotchiness. So I went ahead and did the whole side and it came out great!

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Jason_Nipp
Explorer
Explorer
I had whole dull areas, where the gel coat was pretty much gone. Just make sure it's not chaulky residue from the BKF... try to scratch it with your finger nail... if it moves wash it again (with Dawn) with some muscle behind it, if it appears to be dulled fiberglass it will shine up just find when you apply Red Max.
99 Itasca Spirit 31T

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. I did the front and rear of the motorhome and they came out great. Today I scrubbed one side with the BKF and washed it down with detergent just like the front and back. After it dried I noticed the surface was very blotchy with some dull and not so dull spots. I scrubbed one of the not-so-dull areas again with BKF, but it still does not look as dull as some of the other areas. Has anyone else noticed this, and if so, did the RMP even them out?

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

California_Boon
Explorer
Explorer
I am happy to report that I applied RMP several months ago, and just recently returned from a lengthy trip. Cleaning the exterior was a snap, smashed bugs and road grime washed right off with little effort. I am really happy with this stuff so far!

Jason_Nipp
Explorer
Explorer
Jason Nipp wrote:
Ron,

Finally got around to doing my rig. Did exactly what you guys said it would... nice and shiny, as close to new looking as it will ever get. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I figure there's enough pics in this thread so I am tempted just to admit I am happy with the results.
And of course it got rained on today.... never fails. *sigh*
99 Itasca Spirit 31T

Jason_Nipp
Explorer
Explorer
Ron,

Finally got around to doing my rig. Did exactly what you guys said it would... nice and shiny, as close to new looking as it will ever get. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I figure there's enough pics in this thread so I am tempted just to admit I am happy with the results.
99 Itasca Spirit 31T

mikhen
Explorer
Explorer
WOW
Back to work.
Pics later

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
mikhen wrote:

Question.....If I mix the TSP with bleach, will that help with the yellowing?

The two CAN be mixed--recommended proportions are 1 to 4 according to this article.

Whether it will work on the yellowing is unknown. I thought that Chlorox Clean Up did a great job of cleaning but Not sure what it would do for yellowing on fiberglass.

Let us know if you try it. And please take a photo and post it. Those pictures are worth so many words.

mikhen
Explorer
Explorer
OK, just did the BKF. I need to try this stuff on other things around the house.
It doesn't require much pressure when scrubbing.

Question.....If I mix the TSP with bleach, will that help with the yellowing?

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, have not tried it by Zep wet look is supposed to be the same stuff. RMP is made by Zep.

mikhen
Explorer
Explorer
Looking through the pages of this thread, I missed the answer I was looking for.
Is Zep floor finish at Home Depot the same as RMP? I see Zep has a wet look, a standard traffic, and a high traffic version. I would guess the wet look is what I want.

Just asking ahead of time, because according to Lowes' website, the 6 local Lowes don't carry RMP.