cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shiny RV with Red Max Pro (pics)

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you use this stuff? We were getting that chalky finish with faded and peeling graphics. I was waxing it with Meguiars--trying to avoid the graphics and spray them with 303 Protectant instead. I spray the dirt off after almost every trip too. We've only had it 15 months--I hated to see it get "old looking" under my care.
Replant just mentioned Lowes Red Max Pro and I read the links. Wow! Why not take the chance that the fiberglass would be looking shiny and new?
It worked! Here are a few pics.

The graphics bleed out color when washed.

And they were peeling up at the edges. I took a flat razor blade holder and trimmed off the peeling edges--

This is after the trimming. They are a bit ragged in places, but at least no longer peeling.

I used my little power sprayer with TSP in it and scrubbed with Bar Keeper's Friend as recommended.

This is the tire cover with one side is just washed with a sponge and TSP, the other is washed with a green scrubbie and Bar Keeper's Friend. I also used the white scrubbie (1000 grit sandpaper grade and much more expensive) for scratches--it did wonders even on the cab metal but for most of the job I used the cheap green stuff. I completely wore out 4 half sheets!

This is a "before" of the cleaned passenger side.

Red Max Pro Step 3 ready to apply.

Finished! It took me about 10 hours to do the job.

Plus I washed and waxed the cab. But by this time I was losing daylight so it is harder to see the shine.
I'm really pleased with the results. The recommendation is a new coat every year--that is a lot longer time period than waxing.
This was a good project for the start of a great season. I think it was worth the effort!
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021
413 REPLIES 413

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
anyone know the difference between the 'wet look' and the high traffic? Which is better, the directions reflect the same, there is about $9 difference in price. I bought the high traffic, but can take back if need to.

vscoggin
Explorer
Explorer
s

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Zep Wet look is the same as Red Max Pro. You don't want to polish the trailer in conjunction with this, though. The idea is to get all old polish and wax off, then put the zep or rmp on. If you apply it over wax it won't adhere properly. I would suggest you re-read the process, and then follow those directions. If you do, you'll be happy with it. Good luck!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Ok went to Lowes today to find this product and guess what? Its no longer carried by them. They have a ZEP product but I am not sure what will be the same as was posted here. I did get a can of the cleanser, but the sales guy could not help with the red max that many refer to.

Any ideas on the replacement or is there one? We are in process of restriping our trailer (already reeled old off) bought the new stuff just need to clean and install (this weekend). The guy is going to buff and polish the trailer was thinking this might be a good time to try this stuff and now its no longer available.

Any ideas?

Thanks

keypunch
Explorer
Explorer
First off let me thank you guys for all the great info here. I found this site because my father needs to refresh his rv, and I'm researching how to go about doing it.

I've read through most of this thread, and had a few thoughts:

- Waxing: To make things confusing, in the commercial cleaning world finish / wax are commonly used to describe the same thing. From my understanding RMP (and other similar products) is a surface finish, not a penetrating finish. Automotive wax would also be considered a surface finish. So if you have applied RMP and really think you need to wax, just tell yourself that you already have!

- Cleaning: Remembering that this is a flooring product can help you decide what is safe to use on it. What would you feel safe cleaning your (commercial) floors with? Usually any neutral cleaner does the job.

- RMP is a floor finish... many floor finishes are designed to be maintained and re-shined by burnishing or spray buffing. Has anyone tried to somehow burnish/buff their RV?

- If RMP (or Zep, which is considered pretty low end) works well, would a higher quality floor finish work better, and last longer?

Thoughts?

Ed9824v
Explorer
Explorer
fortytwo wrote:
Red MAX Pro and Graphics peeling. Red MAX Pro is damaged by direct sun rays. It has flaked up on my Class C cabover, and on most of the graphic decals that face the south. It is particularly evident on the RED decals; less so on the silver ones.

The damage patterns I have look like it is a heat issue. Red gets warmer than the silver. The only white fiberglass I have showing damage is in the curved portion of the cabover which gets more direct rays than the sides, which get angled rays. Could also be UV, but the locations of the RMP flaking are also the spots most impacted by the intense Florida sun.

I put RMP on the roof of a class A I owned. The summer sun caused almost all of it on the roof to flake off. The sides were not effected.

Florida sun is not the friend of any protective finish I've ever used. RMP holds up better than any other though.

Had the same thing happen on the South facing side of my 5er that is outside all the time. I did a quicky wash and a couple of coats of RMP and look alright not like the original job look like I will have to remove and do that side and add to the good sides.
Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

fortytwo
Explorer
Explorer
Red MAX Pro and Graphics peeling. Red MAX Pro is damaged by direct sun rays. It has flaked up on my Class C cabover, and on most of the graphic decals that face the south. It is particularly evident on the RED decals; less so on the silver ones.

The damage patterns I have look like it is a heat issue. Red gets warmer than the silver. The only white fiberglass I have showing damage is in the curved portion of the cabover which gets more direct rays than the sides, which get angled rays. Could also be UV, but the locations of the RMP flaking are also the spots most impacted by the intense Florida sun.

I put RMP on the roof of a class A I owned. The summer sun caused almost all of it on the roof to flake off. The sides were not effected.

Florida sun is not the friend of any protective finish I've ever used. RMP holds up better than any other though.
Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
As I understand the process, a renewal coat each year will keep it looking good. I didn't do it last year, but plan to do at least one coat all the way around this year. I don't plan to start from scratch.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

fizikpal
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all

This process really does work well. We did it two years ago and were very happy with the results.

Two years later and it is starting to lose that shine. So.... do I need to start from square one with the BKF and TSP. Or will a good wash and then Red Max Pro be sufficient?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The Lynch's
2002 Shasta Cheyenne 308
TOAD: 2003 Honda Civic
Sterling Tow Bar with Brake Buddy

moose888
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a good shin try Lucas Slick Mist very easy to use just spray on and wipe off. I use it very other wash. I buy mine at Auto Zone.

moose888
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a good shin try Lucas Slick Mist very easy to use just spray on and wipe off. I use it very other wash. I buy mine at Auto Zone.

jarea
Explorer
Explorer
I bought 2 gallon at Lowes. They have droped it and did not have any in my Topeka store. They were very helpful and called around to several out of state stores and found 2 gal. in Virginia I think. $8.50 per gal. on closeout.GREAT PRICE. You might try that. If they can't find RMP3, they do carry ZEP, which I believe is the same, only a differant manfacturer. Home Depot also carries it for around $25.00 a gal.I plan to do my motorhome this week. Have the prep work done .

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Try Googling Red Max Pro.

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't think Red Max Pro was still available. Where did you purchase? Price? THANKS!!!
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas

mauricedorris
Explorer
Explorer
Recently used Red Max Pro on my extremely faded and oxidized 89 Tioga Class C.

I spent the first three hours (2 of us) scrubbing the entire outside with Bar Keeper Friend. Then we started applying coats of the finish. After about 4 coats, it was looking really good. So we stopped there as it had been a long day.

Went camping in the desert, none of the dust stuck to the RV. All I had to do was hose it off when got home. This really works!
Maurice
89 Tioga 27ft.
1 Wife, 2 Kids, 1 small dog, no plants