cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shorting out

fuzzbutt
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from an uneventfull trip to Myrtle Beach. Any time we make it there and back without breaking down, its a good trip.

Had a weird issue on the way there. On I 79 in W VA, when I would hit on of the large expansion joints that are so bad, they make your teeth chatter, the service engine soon light would come on, the headlights would flash, and the tranny would kick out of gear for a split second.

It did it 2 or 3 times before i figured out what it was doing. Then it did it a few more times before I stopped for the night.

The next morning, it only did it once the rest of the way there.

On my way home, it did it one more time.

I have NO CLUE where to start troubleshooting because the only way to duplicate the problem is to drive on the highway at about 60 and hit a bad bump.

It's a 94 Winnebago on a Chevy chassis with the 454 engine. We caught rain on the way there and it also rained hard the night before we left to come home. I'm thinking its an electrical short caused by moisture somewhere.......exactly where is going to be the stumper.

Since its a 94, whould it even have an OBD port to hook a scanner up to?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
John, Sherry & Sabrina
+ Mowgli (Keeshond) Shane (Border Collie) Sunny (Sun Conure) & Lily (Cockatiel)
94 Winnebago Adventurer 34'
04 Nissan Murano
05 Acura TL
92 Honda Gold Wing
Now.....bring me that horizon.
11 REPLIES 11

MrWizard
does not sound like a short

sounds like a loose connection, possibly a frame ground
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
May not be a short, but likely could be a loose connection, or corrosion in a connector. Your best bet is to find a wiring diagram, and try to determine what all the affected components or systems have in common. ie: Doubtful it would be an ignition switch, as headlamps are powered all the time.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

fuzzbutt
Explorer
Explorer
All good advice. I will make a checklist from all these and work on it this weekend.

Thanks!!!
John, Sherry & Sabrina
04 Nissan Murano
05 Acura TL
92 Honda Gold Wing

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
fuzzbutt wrote:
Just got back from an uneventfull trip to Myrtle Beach. Any time we make it there and back without breaking down, its a good trip.

Had a weird issue on the way there. On I 79 in W VA, when I would hit on of the large expansion joints that are so bad, they make your teeth chatter, the service engine soon light would come on, the headlights would flash, and the tranny would kick out of gear for a split second.

It did it 2 or 3 times before i figured out what it was doing. Then it did it a few more times before I stopped for the night.

The next morning, it only did it once the rest of the way there.

On my way home, it did it one more time.

I have NO CLUE where to start troubleshooting because the only way to duplicate the problem is to drive on the highway at about 60 and hit a bad bump.

It's a 94 Winnebago on a Chevy chassis with the 454 engine. We caught rain on the way there and it also rained hard the night before we left to come home. I'm thinking its an electrical short caused by moisture somewhere.......exactly where is going to be the stumper.

Since its a 94, whould it even have an OBD port to hook a scanner up to?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Just a shot in the dark here and most likely an intermittent open and whether for grounding or other, so forget the catch all word...short...for describing all electrical malfunctions. Shorts usually blow fuses, too.
Anyway remove the shroud on your steering column just below the dash and you should see some connectors and especially on the left side where you should find a long flat one. Unplug and re-plug every one you can find a few times and wiping a little silicon grease or even Vaseline on the contacts.
Whether it fixes your problem or not, it certainly won't hurt and could prevent some future issues, as well.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
The nice thing about the OBD 1 is all you need to pull the codes is a paper clip... http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/273660

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might ought to check connectors. Pull them apart, give it a good look, clean them up a bit and use dielectric grease on them. On my old Harleys (both) I had an issue that I chased down to a connector.

fuzzbutt
Explorer
Explorer
bullydogs1 wrote:
Start with the chassis grounds..it sounds like the bumps make it momentarily lose ground when the connection gets battered.

Thats what I was thinking. It does it as soon as the front wheels hit and only if its a really bad bone jarring one. The expansion joints that are angled so that one wheel hits before the other doesn't seem to do it.

Would I be looking for a ground strap connected to the frame somewhere in the front?

Thanks!
John, Sherry & Sabrina
04 Nissan Murano
05 Acura TL
92 Honda Gold Wing

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trouble shooting electrical gremlins are a real pain. I would start with the ignition switch and wiring under the dash. Since you mentioned the headlights, I'm assuming you were driving during darkness or you wouldn't have known they went out. If that's the case, start there and do this at night. Turn the headlights on and wiggle the wiring under the dash. If the lights go out, you can start tracing the wiring and locate your bad ground. If that doesn't work, go the the console where your shift pad is and work there. There is a speed sensor module on the tranny that sometimes gets dirty or loose that also gives your symptoms. Best of luck...unfortunately there's no simple 'look here' solution to your problem. It's simply a matter of tracing it down or waiting for it to break completely, then you meet Mr. Murphy.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
bullydogs1 wrote:
Start with the chassis grounds..it sounds like the bumps make it momentarily lose ground when the connection gets battered.

x2.

Check the battery connections. Also check the resistance in the ground wires. I've had them corrode between the cable and connector and it was hidden. The only way to tell was by checking the cable resistance from connector to connector.

Check the alternator connector to make sure it's securely clipped in place.

Check the plug on the ECU to make sure it's not loose. Some vehicles have an issue with the plastic locks on the ECU connector breaking off and it allows the ECU connector to loosen up.

The fact that several systems are effected means that it's probably a bad ground or loose wire.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
My 1995 P30 chassis had an OBD I (not II) under the dash just to the left of the steering column. There are still some scanners out there that will read OBD I - some will read I and II.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)