cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sink needs sealing

Flatfive
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2019 Thor 24’ Class C motorhome that we just bought. It had previously been a rental from El Monte RV.. All is good mostly. The kitchen sink, however needs some work. It is stainless steel and an under counter type. There is a gap all around the sink where it meets the particle board counter top. There has been water getting in there and now the particle board is swelling up and making a bigger gap. I could just scrape it out a bit and cover the gap with silicone caulk. A better fix would be to remove the sink and abrade away the swollen particle board, replace the sink and then seal the gap. Has anyone had this issue and fixed it?
6 REPLIES 6

jeromep
Explorer
Explorer
I think a better project would be to remove the entire countertop and replace with something that is solid surface. You'll use the existing countertop as a template for the solid surface replacement. When you are done you'll have something that looks great, is impervious to water and you can remount the undermount sink and use this as an occasion to replace what is probably a less than stellar kitchen faucet with something nicer looking and with better utility. It will be a bit of work, but you probably won't deal with this again.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Before I replace the counter I would repair the area as much as possible and install the sink with some sort of bracing or pressure applied from beneath the sink to support the sink from below
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I bought my MH in 2004 the counter top was swollen due to water getting in and the partial board swelling. What I did is to remove the Formica trim make some saw cuts in the swollen area to remove some partial board put some wood glue into the cuts then clamp the board to bring it back to its original thickness. The next day I added wood trim instead of the Formica trim. I would do a localized fix first rather than replace the whole counter top unless the whole area is swollen.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes. I would also replace the countertop. There is a thread on someone doing it and it seemed easy enough to do.
You could try to do a fix like you said, see if you’re happy enough doing that.

Here is the real nice job that one member did.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29816262/print/true.cfm

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Depending on the level of experience you have, the correct way would be to replace the countertop altogether. The particle board is already compromised. This will allow a fresh, smooth surface to re-mount the sink. Countertops are pretty cheap at Lowes and there's not much of it in an RV. Also a thought to consider, does the sink have to be an under mount? While it might require swapping out the drain line, you could mount it conventionally on top and eliminate having to deal with it again. Rv's bounce around a lot and and undermounted sink just seems like it's asking to pull apart again.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have not had this issue, but sounds like you are answering your own question.:)

I would remove the sink, repair the damage, so counter is level. Without seeing the damage, I'd suggest using a thin layer of plumbers putty tape on the edge that the sink will sit on. After installing the sink, the putty may ooze from compression. This makes a good seal, just needs trimming, and no more water should get back under.

Jerry