cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slides awnings need replacing

Deuceofspades
Explorer
Explorer
F/T RVer here. The desert sun has eventually eaten my slides awnings :(, Monaco dealer carries them and has given me quotes, but I was wondering whether I can buy generic brand instead, so to save money. I know the sun is going to trash them soon enough anyways :(...

Does anyone have leads to find such awning? Please point me in the right direction, many thanks!
Faith, Kaya and Cody
2006 Monaco Monarch - 30F
Wells Cargo car trailer
22 REPLIES 22

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
We had a rotted-out topper on the living room slide that we didn't catch during pre-delivery inspection. A few weeks into our ownership we got a substantial leak into the cabinets above the dinette.

We decided to replace both the LR and BR toppers and it cost about $800.

Due to a moldy smell, I built new cabinets in the dinette - about $75 and 20 hours carpentry. I re-purposed the original cabinet hardware and it's difficult to tell they were replaced.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

bobmacc
Explorer
Explorer
I had Carefree toppers on my Journey. X8 for Tough Top. Read the Carefree instruction and realized they are to deter not help, RV'ers do their own. Read and followed the greatly simplified instructions from Tough Top and replaced both including a 19 foot one in less than 2 hours with the wife helping as "Ground man".

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Used the tough top awnings on our '02 Itasca Sunrise last summer. watched the video and did the job with my neighbors help. Took us about 1 hour to do both the bedroom and the living room slide toppers.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

Waco_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
X4 for Stone Vos, I replaced my toppers last week with stone vos. Great quality....Bruce
  • Bruce & Sandy
  • 07 Scepter 42PDQ SOLD
  • 2018 Coachmen Leprechaun 26DS Chevy

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on Stone Vos. Contact Chris and he will make the toppers for you based on your measurements. He uses top quality fabric and stitches them well. His prices are reasonable and he will ship them to you and you can install them yourself or have someone do it for you.

www.stonevos.com
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
Deuceofspades wrote:
othertonka wrote:
X6 Tough tops not only has replacement fabric but tells you how to measure, order, and shows you how to do the replacement. Even if you buy somewhere else, take a look at their instructions if you plan on DIY.
Tough Tops

Best to have 2 or 3 helpers

All above sounds good... So that I understand how this all works, If I was to go with Tough Tops, does that means i would have to replace my current awnings altogether (as opposed to just replacing the fabric)? Or will a Tough Top fabric go in a Carefree of Colorado awning hardware?

Tough Tops is just a fabric replacement that slides into the original awning slots. You tell them what brand you have and they make it so it fits that brand, you keep everything as it is. Read all of their web site liteture and decide if you can do the job or not
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I took my old topper to a local boat shop and they just matched it with the same type of fabric. Cost was about $150 each. I did the removal and install, which involves removing the endcap and sliding the old topper off. Not the easiest to do but I did this alone working off of a ladder.
Before you change fabrics, make sure that if you go thicker that you will still be able to slide the topper fabric in to the upper groove and the grove on the slide roller.
Since I had a broken spring on one topper, I changed the spring at the same time and coated it with wheel bearing grease to try to extend the life of the spring in the future.

Deuceofspades
Explorer
Explorer
othertonka wrote:
X6 Tough tops not only has replacement fabric but tells you how to measure, order, and shows you how to do the replacement. Even if you buy somewhere else, take a look at their instructions if you plan on DIY.
Tough Tops

All above sounds good... So that I understand how this all works, If I was to go with Tough Tops, does that means i would have to replace my current awnings altogether (as opposed to just replacing the fabric)? Or will a Tough Top fabric go in a Carefree of Colorado awning hardware?
Faith, Kaya and Cody
Wells Cargo car trailer

Deuceofspades
Explorer
Explorer
OK, the details on my slide awnings are:

BRAND = Carefree of Colorado
MODEL = Summit
SIZE = living room is 12'1"
bedroom is 5'9"
Faith, Kaya and Cody
Wells Cargo car trailer

Deuceofspades
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
And for comparison, I had all four of mine replaced in Texas last year at a cost of $1200 for all four. Took them one day to measure and make the toppers and about 4 hours to install them the following day. I had all of them triple sewn with UV resistant thread as that's what goes first. Insurance paid for them and the adjuster jumped on that price, I was shocked...FYI....Dennis

I was told RV insurances don't cover awnings... What insurance co do you use?

I'm going to call Monaco to ask them for the details on my awnings (brand, size etc)then I guess i will call my insurance company,since I am still covered to see if they cover that.
Faith, Kaya and Cody
Wells Cargo car trailer

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
And for comparison, I had all four of mine replaced in Texas last year at a cost of $1200 for all four. Took them one day to measure and make the toppers and about 4 hours to install them the following day. I had all of them triple sewn with UV resistant thread as that's what goes first. Insurance paid for them and the adjuster jumped on that price, I was shocked...FYI....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
Tough Tops

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

Yellowboat_
Explorer
Explorer
I believe it is X5 for Tough Top Awnings.

That is where I got mine. They worked great.

Safe travels.

JD
2016 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on a 2016 Ford F53 Chassis
2009 Saturn VUE
Buddy our Bichon Frise
JD & Kathy

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
x2 for tough top awnings

X3 I used them and highly recommend. The material is thicker and easier to clean.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer