cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Some Weight/Numbers Help Please

Elias
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering buying a 2014 Newmar Ventana LE and wanted to get the opinion of those smarter than me about what I will be able to load and tow.

Here are the specs:
Front GAWR-12,000
Rear GAWR-20,000

GVWR-31,000
GCWR-33,000

App.UVW-26,100
App.NCC-4,900 Not sure what NCC stands for or what this number denotes.

I tow a small pickup truck that weighs 4300 lbs. so if I'm looking at this correctly will I have 6900 lbs for GCWR. Minus my truck of 4300 leaves me 2600lbs for people,gear,clothes,propane fluids etc.
Does this look right?
22 REPLIES 22

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
PastorCharlie wrote:
Elias wrote:
The hitch is rated for 5,000.
The specs from PastorCharlie are incorrect as this model is the 3845.

Those specs are correct for the unit noted. You failed to posted your particular unit until now, had that information been given I would have posted information for model 3845. It is important to give all information when seeking an informed answer. ๐Ÿ˜‰

"Forgive me Father, for I have sinned....".......:W......Dennis
:E
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

Elias
Explorer
Explorer
bsinmich wrote:
I would start by checking with Newmar. They are known to make changes for customers. They may do just what you want.

Thanks bsinmich,
I'm working with my dealer now to see if they'll make these changes.
I figure I'll hear yeah or nay next week.
Worst case I can always wait for the 2015's and see what they come out with.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I would start by checking with Newmar. They are known to make changes for customers. They may do just what you want.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis is right and the OP was right in his/her calculations to begin with. I have no idea where that 10,000lbs tow capacity came from.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
PastorCharlie wrote:
Elias wrote:

Those specs are correct for the unit noted. You failed to posted your particular unit until now, had that information been given I would have posted information for model 3845. It is important to give all information when seeking an informed answer. ๐Ÿ˜‰

"Forgive me Father, for I have sinned....".......:W......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Elias wrote:

Elias
Explorer
Explorer
kaydeejay wrote:
DSDP Don wrote:
"kaydeejay"......I actually went to Newmar's site and gave the correct figures. Please do your homework before calling me wrong. Gross Combined Weight is not empty coach subtracted from Gross Vehicle Weight. The Ventana's have a 10000 pound tow rating which is larger than GVWR.
I still don't understand where you are getting the 10,000# tow rating from.
With a GCWR (NOT GVWR) of 33,000# and an empty weight of 26,100#, with NOTHING in the coach, the max tow is 6900# assuming the hitch is rated for that much.
And, according to the specs posted by EXECUTIVE, the GVWR is actually 1000# less than the sum of the axle ratings.
I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong :B

I think the misunderstanding is that the Ventana is rated to tow 10,000 lbs while the Ventana LE I'm looking at is rated to tow 5,000 lbs.
Don may have thought they had the same rating.
The Ventana has the 360 Cummins and a heavier duty chassis as opposed to the 340 cummins.

Now, if they only made the Ventana in a bunk model I'd ink a deal today.:)

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
"kaydeejay"......I actually went to Newmar's site and gave the correct figures. Please do your homework before calling me wrong. Gross Combined Weight is not empty coach subtracted from Gross Vehicle Weight. The Ventana's have a 10000 pound tow rating which is larger than GVWR.
I still don't understand where you are getting the 10,000# tow rating from.
With a GCWR (NOT GVWR) of 33,000# and an empty weight of 26,100#, with NOTHING in the coach, the max tow is 6900# assuming the hitch is rated for that much.
And, according to the specs posted by EXECUTIVE, the GVWR is actually 1000# less than the sum of the axle ratings.
I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong :B
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

Elias
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dennis!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
The OP stated he's buying a 2014 Ventana LE 3845. Here's the specs for that coach from Newmar's webpage:

Here's what those numbers mean:

So, given all that, it appears the OP can carry up to 4900 lbs in his coach which would include the tongue weight of the towed vehicle. That said, he still should not exceed the total weight of 33,000 lbs which would include the total weight of the RV and towed vehicle. Given the above, my calculations agree with the OP's. 6900-4300=2600. However, that's assuming the dealer has not added anything to the base vehicle. The coach should be weighed ready for camping then subtract that number from 33,000 and you'll know if your truck it too heavy. Stay within the specs and you'll have no warranty issues, going outside those parameters could bring you grief.

Remember when towing, the maximum load cannot exceed the weakest link in the system whether that be the drive train, hitch rating or other factors.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Mike_and_Trish
Explorer
Explorer
kaydeejay wrote:
DSDP Don wrote:
Elias....You have your numbers all wrong. Your front and rear gross axle ratings equal your gross vehicle rating. You have 12000 and 20000 equaling 31000, when it should be 32000. You then need to subtract your unloaded weight which is 26100. This gives you 5900 pounds of cargo capacity (fuel, water, people, food etc).

Since when did the sum of the axle ratings equal the GVWR?
I want to see someone load a vehicle that precisely!

Many coaches are spec'd that way, just look at the manufacturer web sites. Has nothing to do with how they're actually loaded -- these are capacities we're talking about.
Mike and Trish
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee on Blue Ox Aventa LX
Yorkiepoos - Janis and Jimi

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
Since the OP didn't give the exact model here are the Freightliner numbers from the above link.

Model HP WheelBase FrtGAWR ReGAWR GVWR GCWR AppUVW AppNCC

3433 360 206 12K 23K 35K 45K 26,900 8,100
3436 360 206 12K 23K 35K 45K 26,800 8,200
3634 360 228 12,400 23K 35,400 45,400 26,900 8,500

In this case Keith it looks like they did match the axles to the GVWR, this is not always true as the GVWR is the rating for the entire chassis and sometimes the axles are higher than required but that does not raise the GVWR.
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
Elias....You have your numbers all wrong. Your front and rear gross axle ratings equal your gross vehicle rating. You have 12000 and 20000 equaling 31000, when it should be 32000. You then need to subtract your unloaded weight which is 26100. This gives you 5900 pounds of cargo capacity (fuel, water, people, food etc).

Since when did the sum of the axle ratings equal the GVWR?
I want to see someone load a vehicle that precisely!

Regardless, with a 33,000# GCWR and an empty weight of 26,100# the OP has a total of 6900# to share between what he loads in the coach and what he tows behind, provided the hitch rating is enough for the latter.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.