cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source engineering fan

busyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if anyone has installed the high performance fan from Source engineering on their coach. I have a 2000 Harney with a 3126B cat and it is really loud from the fan noise. Think its the same chassis as a 2000 Beaver that my friend has and it will fit his and Source engineering says it will cause my coach to overheat as they went cheaper in the cooling componets in the Harney. They didn't say what was different just that they didn't want to sell me one as they didn't think it would be good for my coach. I think it would fit and be fine as its the same as a Monaco Beaver.
What say you? I respect their expertise but, would really like to cut down on the noise.
Thanks for any comments.
Busyguy
11 REPLIES 11

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"busyguy".....When I did mine, I very carefully used an air gun to remove the five bolts holding the fan in place, without disturbing the pulley. I installed the new fan, being careful not to disturb the pulley and tightened the bolts. I didn't want to have to deal with pulley or belt coming off.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

busyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have been in contact with Source Engineering and they are checking to see if their fan will fit my coach. Sent them pictures and measurements and am waiting to here from them.
May be a job doing the R&R but think it will be worth it.
Will keep you all informed in case you want to try it.
Thanks for all the input. Really appreciate this web site.
Busyguy

MrWizard
Busyguy
thats ok, my diesel experiences so far have been less than steller
and mfg claims often do not match up to real life

my thanks DSDP Don for his informative post on the subject
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

busyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. Really appreciate it. MrWizard didn't mean to be hard on you. I put 2.5 million miles on 18 wheelers and I understand Diesel's. Was just trying to get info from anyone who has tried this fan.
I sent Source Engineering an email and maybe they can say if it will or will not work. May try it and see what the results are.
Thanks again.
Busyguy

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Since you posted this on two forums and there are some misconceptions here, I'll post my response again.

When Monaco went out of business, a couple of guys created Source Engineering and began making products to improve some of the issues with Monaco coaches. As an example, they made new trailering arms for the Roadmaster R4R chassis that had issues. The fan was originally designed for the Roadmaster chassis.

The Monaco rear radiator coaches, were/are built differently than most other brands. Monaco took the charge air cooler and placed it on top of the radiator, while Freightliner stacks theirs one right in front of the other. The Monaco setup cooled more efficiently and was less likely to get dirt built up between the units, like the Freightliner's do.

On my 2005 Monaco Diplomat, I changed out the radiator fan to the Source Engineering fan. It didn't provide less air, it was just better designed. The stock Monaco fan was pretty rudimentary looking, while the Source fan was very well engineered. Since the fan performs better, it doesn't add horsepower, but gives back horsepower taken away by the other fan. The amount of HP returned is determined by the engine. The 400 ISL got back 25 HP because it was a slower spinning motor. The ISC got back almost 40 HP because it spins faster.

The new fan could be felt in acceleration. We live out west and I was routinely towing a 6K truck. The OEM fan and the Source fan performed IDENTICALLY in the heat and while climbing in regards to cooling. The new fan was also quieter inside the coach and at the rear of the coach.

When I replaced mine I did some investigation and looked at the Horton fan clutch and the Source Engineering fan. The Horton fan saves power when the engine is running cool on flat ground. As soon as you start to climb, the Horton unit engages and nothing is saved. The Source fan is saving power while on flat land and while climbing. With the Source fan, I saw a .5 mpg increase.

The fans are pricey, but well worth the performance and mpg increase. On my Diplomat, I was able to remove an interior engine cover (floor panel) and install the new fan in about ten minutes with an air gun.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

MrWizard
busyguy wrote:
MrWizard
No I wasn't going to replace it just for the noise while driving. You are correct. I can't hear it driving but, it is loud when idling and I also wanted the extra HP. Don't be such a cynic. Thanks for your reply.
I also found out why it will not work on my coach. Has to do with the position of the intercooler.
Busyguy

if you have had my diesel experiences over the last 4yrs, you might be a little bit cynical
food for thought, reduced noise when idling, also means reduced air flow when driving down the highway

extra HP ? IDK how much the fan uses, or how much you would gain
2hp or 10hp,
buts it is not something i would chance
i don't think the gain would make that much difference, for the risk involved
i know every HP helps when climbing grades, and that is also when the engine works the hardest and needs the most cooling
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
FEDowner wrote:
Source Engineering knows their products.

Yes, give them a call. Several of them worked with/for Safari/Monaco at the time your chassis was built.

http://sourcerv.com/
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

FEDowner
Explorer
Explorer
Source Engineering knows their products.
'06 Damon Challenger, Nostalgia Dragster & 28ft trailer,
Calpurnia (born 12-20-06)daughter of Traiano & Jasmine,
At the Rainbow Bridge Sonia 8-30-06 our 1st Neopolitan Mastiff

busyguy
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard
No I wasn't going to replace it just for the noise while driving. You are correct. I can't hear it driving but, it is loud when idling and I also wanted the extra HP. Don't be such a cynic. Thanks for your reply.
I also found out why it will not work on my coach. Has to do with the position of the intercooler.
Busyguy

MrWizard
maybe i'm missing something here

but you want to put in a quieter reduced air flow fan on your diesel engine
to have less noise

you can hear the current fan , while driving down the road ?

me, if i was repalcing a fan, i would be looking for more air flow
i have spent way too much money on diesel engine repairs
too worry about a quieter fan
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Moved from Forum Technical Support