cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Southwind AC Compressor Replacement

moreroad
Explorer
Explorer
I had a wee bit of trouble while pulling my 2004 Southwind into a spot in Sedona. Paid $546 (Ins) to tow it to a RV repair shop in Cottonwood..They told me the Compressor froze and it would cost $2900 to replace. After I woke up I asked them to just disconnect the compressor so I could drive it to my storage and they said that the Vortec Engine could not run without the whole belt (overheating) and without Compressor being attached.

Questions

Does $2900 Seem like a lot?
Do these really need to have the compressor in to drive any distance?
The Charters Family
Me my Wife and now one kid (unless he brings a friend) and 2 dogs,
2004 Southwind 32VS
2009 Jeep Wrangler (TOAD)
MorePro Marketing Inc
26 REPLIES 26

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi,

One of the replies on your post on irv2.com here had a cheap solution:

From Dan L:
...you can also bypass the compressor pulley with a shorter belt dayco pn 5060955 and replace the center idler pulley with a grooved goodyear idler pulley pn 49021.

I think you should've had the original shop perform this swap and drive the rig home. With this plan, you bypass the A/C compressor pulley, replace the serpentine belt with one a bit shorter and replace the idler pulley with one with grooves (since the grooved side of the belt will now be against the pulley instead of the flat side). The part you linked to above uses the stock belt and pully, but you have to remove the A/C compressor (and open) the A/C system. I opted to keep the compressor and the A/C lines connected until I had the time to work on it myself. (Opening the system and keeping it open invites contaminants to enter, and then you have to deal with extra flushing when repairing it).

Here's what I did when our compressor clutch seized up a few years back while on the road. Fortunately we were about 20 miles from the campground and I was able to make it there, even though we could smell the belt burning. Once we pulled into the campsite, the family did their thing & I did some internet research. On irv2.com I found all of the part numbers for the belt and pulley. Went down to the auto parts store in the small town we were in, and they had both the pulley & belt. About $50 lighter and an hour later the A/C compressor was bypassed and I was able to use the RV for the rest of the season and fix the compressor at my own leisure.

Now a few things I learned.

For those who said you can just "unplug" the clutch and you're all set. No, for this type of failure, you can't. The clutch seizes the pulley to the compressor shaft. The pulley no longer free-wheels.

The A/C compressor, and specifically the pulley/clutch, fail fairly frequently based upon the number of similar incidents I've read about on various forums.

If you're doing this yourself, MAKE SURE you have a diagram of the serpentine belt routing. It looks simple enough when you're staring at it, but as soon as that belt comes off...it's not so simple to figure out what goes where. PLUS, you'll have to work on it from on top and underneath while replacing it, so the diagram is VERY handy as your perspective changes.

Originally, I thought all I needed was a new clutch. BUT...because of the seizing and probably the overheating of the pulley/belt/bearing, the pulley remover would not budge the pulley. I eventually had to put so much force on it that the end seal was damaged inside the compressor. So now the compressor had to get replaced. Again, a bit tricky to find the exact one, but our local chain autoparts store was able to get me one for around $250, including the clutch. (The clutch/pulley is press fit on the compressor shaft, sometimes there's also a nut to help keep the clutch on, but I believe most compressors don't use the nut, they rely on the press-fit to hold it. Unfortunately, I think this also allows water to get into the press fit junction and cause corrosion to form, making it even harder to remove the clutch. Bottom line, is my research showed many end up replacing the compressor even though theoretically they could've probably just replaced the clutch...if it could be removed properly.)

IF you're lucky enough so they can remove the pulley/clutch assembly then you won't need to open the system and the expansion valve and receiver/drier do not need to be replaced.

As I had mentioned, I HAD to replace the A/C compressor, so I needed to replace the expansion valve and receiver/drier. Finding the right expansion valve, and especially the receiver/drier can be difficult. Those parts are added by the coach builder not by Workhorse, so finding the right ones can be a bit of a challenge.

I went overboard in buying all of the equipment to do the work myself, but I think everything together totaled about $800-$900 and now I have the R134, vacuum pump, scale & gauge set should I either have problems on this rig again, or on any of our cars.

Anyway, good luck with your issues. If the mechanics tell you they're having problems locating the proper parts, that is quite possible. If that's the case, give the manufacturer of your motorhome a call and see if they can give you the OEM part numbers for what's needed.

~Rick

P.S. I keep that shorter belt and grooved idler pulley in my "spare parts" box on the motorhome. If this clutch fails, I'll be prepared! ๐Ÿ™‚ This seems to be a pretty common failure on many of these compressors, so those of you who always like to "be prepared" might wish to pick up these for spare parts...or at least keep the part numbers handy.
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

moreroad
Explorer
Explorer
Update: My restaurant is open and it looks like we're serving crow all week. Moved it to a dealership in Cottonwood and their estimate could be higher than where I had it at to begin with. $800 for parts the rest in service hours. They are not sure if they need to remove the Dash but it may be on top of what they already have estimated. Trying to find the right Part Number for the Fly Pulley replacement as I can't afford a full compressor replacement on top of the $500 tow fee I paid to move it to a cheaper solution.

This has gone from a Comedy of Errors to a Horror Movie
The Charters Family
2004 Southwind 32VS
MorePro Marketing Inc

moreroad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help from everyone...Called Repair shop to ask them for a Detailed estimate of the repair they were proposing...answer: they never give out detailed estimates with prices.

Spent the extra $500 to move it to another shop in Prescott, when I called them to let them know I would be moving it they said I had a bill to pay. $87.00 for one hour of them looking at it. Then they send me the copy of the bill for 1.67 Shop Items. Said they couldn't explain what shop items I used.

I will let everyone here (and all review sites) know the name of this place as soon as My RV is out of their shop.

Again thanks.
The Charters Family
2004 Southwind 32VS
MorePro Marketing Inc

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
moreroad wrote:
Update, Just so everyone knows: The Compressor is Frozen, Belt burn off. Compressor or Pulley (should I decide to go that route) has to be replaced. So $500-$600 for just the compressor leaves $2300 in other charges. (example 23 hours at $100 per) this is beginning to look a lot like overcharge in the extreme.

I'd be happy to fix it for that price. That's an easy $2k in my pocket.

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
If you can freely turn the pully with the belt off, just replace the belt, disconnect the wire connector to the clutch and drive to the repair facility.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If the compressor is what is actually frozen, you should be able to shut it off and drive it to a repair facility.
If it is actually the clutch bearing, get it fixed by mobile repair guy. It should be able to be done from the dog house with out removing the compressor or vacanting the system from the rig.
Did you get a second opion?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

moreroad
Explorer
Explorer
Update, Just so everyone knows: The Compressor is Frozen, Belt burn off. Compressor or Pulley (should I decide to go that route) has to be replaced. So $500-$600 for just the compressor leaves $2300 in other charges. (example 23 hours at $100 per) this is beginning to look a lot like overcharge in the extreme.
The Charters Family
2004 Southwind 32VS
MorePro Marketing Inc

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Some AC units run when the heater is in many different positions. Mine runs when in any defrost mode as well as in AC mode.

True, but if you turn off the blower, shut the system down completely that should turn off the compressor. I'm sure he's got a problem with the clutch that removing power won't solve.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Even at 100 dollars per hour, if the work took 8 hours (and it shouldn't) Plus 600 for parts and materials thats still less than 1/2 of what you were quoted. I too say $2900.00 is way to high.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaBob wrote:
It's amazing how everyone always says quoted prices are to high. Just remember going rate is $100 plus per hour for work.

Bob

Maybe where you shop but not necessarily other places.
The shop where I take my MH is a truck repair shop and they charge $65.00 per hour The mobile service I use near my home is $60.00 per hour and the mobile service in the Thousand Islands of New York charged $45.00 an hour.

Maybe you wish to pay $100 an hour but I think that is too high!
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of people are saying to just turn off the AC, or pull the fuse, or unplug it. When a AC compressor fails, a lot of times it jams the magnetic clutch into the pulley. If you unplug the compressor, and remove the belt, and cannot turn the pulley, the clutch is seized in the pulley. You will more than likely not be able to completely remove the pulley. It can be pulled as far as possible and then using a cold chisel, or screwdriver try to drive the clutch forward from behind as you keep trying to remove the pulley. As you get it out, you will be able to eventually drive the clutch off the compressor be either deforming the mounting plate for the clutch, or breaking the mounting bolts, which will not matter as you will need to replace the compressor and clutch, maybe even the pulley. This is not complicated to do, just labor intensive. Depending on where the compressor is mounted, it can be done from the engine cover and underneath.
Wildmanbaker

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Some AC units run when the heater is in many different positions. Mine runs when in any defrost mode as well as in AC mode.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
OP:
You need to get someelse to look at it unless you can disconnect the wiring or pull the fuse. Fuse information should be in owner's manual. Some also have a control relay that can be pulled.

Or he could just shut off the AC if that's all that were required. Me thinks it's something more than just removing power will solve.

JaBob
Explorer
Explorer
It's amazing how everyone always says quoted prices are to high. Just remember going rate is $100 plus per hour for work.

Bob