cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spending a night (or two) in a motel parking lot?

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be traveling (in our B) to an event at the end of this month -- and my brother and his wife will be with us. They have reservations for two nights at an Econo Lodge, where we originally planned to book a room also.

Now hubby's on furlough and we're trying to curb expenses -- which has me wondering about sleeping in the B instead of booking a room. After all, it's already there, right? We'd have everything we need and it would save us a tidy sum.

My brother and SIL would still sleep in the motel -- and since we're riding together, if needed, our license plate could go on the parking permit. It's in a decent part of town, so I'm not overly concerned about safety.

Has anyone slept in their RV in a hotel/motel parking lot before? Anyone do it frequently? I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences. THANKS!

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

25 REPLIES 25

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Just be upfront with your intentions at check in . There is a liability and service issue for the property.
Sorry, but 'Use of service' without permission is theft.

APRSRVer
Explorer
Explorer
We've done that several times. Followed mother-IL with ill father-IL back from Texas. Stayed in their motel parking lot over the trip. Also, stayed in motel parking lot during family reunion. Have stayed in motel parking lot on trips to and from racetracks. Just ask. Never been turned down. Explain circumstances and if they have a restaurant, patronize it.

mark1228
Explorer
Explorer
I have done it. I asked at the front desk if it would be a problem and if so could they direct me to a Walmart. They had no problem with it and even offered me elecricity at no charge

Chirpnchicks
Explorer
Explorer
Been there, done that! Never been rejected. Keep the shades down, and be quiet and you'll be fine.
Jay
Jay & Di
Summerfield, NC
RT RS Adventurous

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
My GF and I took her Mom out to grandson's graduation and we traveled in my Class B. They had booked a room at a motel where they stayed. I asked at the front desk if there was a problem with me staying in the Class B in their parking lot and they didn't have a problem with it. I didn't use any of the facilities, not even the "free" morning coffee. However, in the morning I discovered that we were only about a 1/2 block away from a Rest Stop that permitted overnite stays. The next time we went there I parked at the Rest Stop and they stayed in the motel.

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
Do you plan to sneak in to breakfast in the morning? How about a pool? Do you plan to use the one room to shower?

No, no and no.

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you plan to sneak in to breakfast in the morning? How about a pool? Do you plan to use the one room to shower?

If you plan to use any of the facilities then reserve 1 room for 4 people. Then you are absolutely entitled to do as you wish.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like one of those cases where it might be better to ask for forgiveness than permission! If caught, tell them your SIL was snoring, so you were forced to come out to the B.

Only time I parked in a motel lot was in Oregon, but they offered it as a service for a fee of course.
Roaming Full Timer

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Genecop.......if you REALLY want to know, call them, do NOT give your name, and tell them the situation........you might mention that if they don't allow it, your SIL/brother's reservations may have to be cancelled.........
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you will be fine, just be discreet, discreet, discreet....

poncho62
Explorer
Explorer
I kind of think that the motel would frown upon it, if they found out