Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

spin balancing vs bg balancing

rickvikki
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning
We r buying new rv tires, michelin xza3, and are wondering which balancing tecnique is better?

Thanks, rick
Rick and Vikki Landry
Ottawa, Canada
Tiffen Phaeton 2006 (40 ft.)
21 REPLIES 21

rtz549
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a video that demonstrates the beads in a tire before and after:

http://vimeo.com/107339427

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
If you want the best ride, find an old school shop that can true and balance the tires on the vehicle. That takes care of irregularities in the tire, wheel, hub, brake, the whole lot.

Hard to find anyone capable any more.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

cwdavis
Explorer
Explorer
For the 1st set of tires on our MH, purchased at a small country shop, we used Dynabeads, which we bought over the internet and gave to the tech handling the tires. They worked perfectly well. The next set we bought at a 'real' truck tire shop and had them spin balanced. So far, we've experienced no difference in performance.

Perhaps the most impressive thing about the Dynabeads is that they survived just fine over several years of use -- when the old tires were removed, the beads looked like they did when they were new!

Interesting tidbit: spilling the beads on the shop floor is a 'no-no'! They are as slippery as skates on ice. The shop guys related fellas having bad falls when stepping on them!
Bill & Ann Davis
1995 36' CC Intrigue
WHTAL!FE

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just make sure that you are not confusing RV specific beads with other beads or with Equal powder. The powder will cause vibration if they clump, which is very common. Beads should not need to be vacuumed out since they will just roll out if the tire is tipped. In fact the beads can be reused in another tire if you want to be cost conscious. I read on here about people confusing the different products all of the time. Even in this post some talk about the beads needing a different valve core. If you use the correct RV SPECIFIC product, which most truck type tire dealers do NOT stock, you do not need to change the valve core and you do not have to worry about vibration unless the tire is out of round to begin with.
You also have to make sure that you use the correct size bag to throw in to the tire when it is mounted.
I ordered my own DynaBeads and just gave them to the installer when the tires were mounted. Click on the link below and scroll down to the RV and Motorhomes section.
DynaBeads

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
"rgatinet1".....has it right. I was a spin balance fanatic.....the only way to go, but times have changed and I find that the beads work great. They will continue to balance the tire for it's entire life, where realistically you would need to rebalance and a few years with weights.

The best of both worlds would be to spin balance and correct any major weight issues and then add a bag of beads for fine balancing.

I do both the spin balance then beads. The beads may not handle a dynamic balance as well as the beads. The spin takes care of the dynamic and the beads will take care of brake drums on trailers and rotors on cars and trucks.

I have never had the unbalance on start up as some have described on my 2500 HD pickup.

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
I had beads in my new front tires. After a couple hundred miles of shaking every time I started out and never riding all that smooth once up to speed, I took it in and had the beads vacuumed out and the tires spun balanced. Much better now. The commercial shop I took it to said they remove the beads a lot.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Rick, congrats on the new tires! I just had mine spin balanced! Been doing it in my RV's since 1976 and it works for me. Good Luck and have a safe winter season in Lake Havasu!

22WANDER
Explorer
Explorer
Beads. They come in bags and they are tossed in the tire at installation.One bag per tire and each bag comes with a new valve core. Very simple.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
DynaBeads since 2005.

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
rickvikki wrote:
Has anyone used "equal" brand as aopposed to dynabeads

We used Equal in the 19.5" tires on our 2001 motorhome. They require a special valve core (not the whole valve stem) with a filter in it that prevents the powder from escaping and getting caught in the valve. The proper valve cores have a red band around them and an obvious cone shaped filter. The installer should also put on dust covers with a red band to identify that the tire is balance with equal powder.

One caution. If you decide to go with a balance powder or beads make sure to watch the technician do the installation. We paid for equal to be installed in a set of 4 rear tires on our 2001 motorhome. After several thousand miles of driving the tires were out of balance and developed flat spots.

I took them to another dealer to have the Equal removed and rebalanced with external weights. When the technician started he called me back to the shop. The original dealer hadn't put any Equal in the tires even though they charged me for it. The worst tire took over 12 oz. of weight to balance it and the others took over 8 oz. Even then we could feel the flat spots and resulting vibration at highway speeds. Tires that should have gone over 50,000 miles had to be replaced at about 30,000 miles because they were not properly balanced.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the ceramic beads a few weeks ago. Tire guy gave me a choice between balance with weights and balance with ceramic beads. He said the pros of the weights is they are always balanced when you start out, but the con was I would need to come in every 5-10K to have the rebalanced. For the ceramic beads, the con was sometimes when you start out after stopping I may notice a vibration for a few miles while the beads rebalance, but the pro is that he would throw a bag in there, and after that forget about it, no rebalance ever needed. He said both work just as well. I asked about equal, and he said "There is nothing good to say about any powder, it is junk and should never be used in a tire".
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

rickvikki
Explorer
Explorer
22 wanderer
Do u mean dynabeads or equal brand
Rick and Vikki Landry
Ottawa, Canada
Tiffen Phaeton 2006 (40 ft.)

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
And here I thought y'all were talking about the old time bubble balance. Sip, or bubble, both are good
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

22WANDER
Explorer
Explorer
I had beads installed on my 6 new GY tires in april of this year. The beads come with a new valve core. It drove a little funny for the first few miles,but the road was rough, so I don't know if the bags had not broke or was it the road.
The ride smoothed out after a few miles. I now have about 11k miles and the ride is very good. Buy the way they changed all the tires by hand and it was quicker then a tire machine good do it. I would have beads installed again.