Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Step one. Bought the van.

WVvan
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everybody,
First post.
I camp a lot in tents but after spending three days straight in a tent in the rain at Dolly Sods I swore I'd make a change.
Here it is.

Bought it Wednesday.
Drove it home today.
1999 Ford E-250, 6 cylinder, 125K miles.
Was a home builders work van. Some slight surface rust.
Cargo doors a bit dinged up.
I'm planning on doing a full conversion. Most of the work I'll do myself but some will be beyond my abilities. I'm giving myself a deadline of no later than spring. Van won't fit into my small garage so that will affect how/when I can work on it.

I've been reading this and other conversion forums for a few weeks. It's been a huge help so far. Learned quite a lot already but there's still a lot I don't know. Counting on the pros who frequent this forum for some advice.

Advice like: The previous owner drilled some 3/4 inch holes in the floor for bolted down shelving. Whats the best way to cover these holes from underneath? Should I treat the metal edges of the holes before I start?

Thanks for your time, now and in the future.
WVvan

P.S. I'm thinking of call it "HAL the Van".
Why HAL? Well since my name is Dave....

Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Open the pod bay doors Hal.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
619 REPLIES 619

want2snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
WVvan, Outstanding photos and descriptions! This should inspire anyone to build their own camper van.

W2S
1996 Ford Conversion Van
2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0 L V8, 6 spd. tranny, 4.10 gears
2017 Coachman Apex Nano 191 RBS

WVvan
Explorer
Explorer
Next up. Flex Tiles with a blue diamond pattern for the floor of the cockpit.
I saw these at Lowe's and really liked the look of them. They are an interlocking tile made for garage floors. Upside is they are tough. Downside - expensive. About $11 a 20"x20" square. Lowes had a 8 square minimum order. I ended up needing six.

First step was to figure out where to place the seams. Put three tiles together and test fit. A rubber mallet is handy for joining tiles. Unfortunately I can't find where I put my damn rubber mallet so just used a regular hammer, but gently.

Decided to start with a full square under the drivers seat and extend from there.

Hold that first square down with the seat and it will keep the others in line.

Then start fitting and cutting.

Best way to work with the tiles are to mark and score them. Then bend back along the score line and cut again. This is looking at the underside.

It will look different once all the plastic molding pieces are reinstalled.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG

WVvan
Explorer
Explorer
Next layer, 1/2 inch plywood.
Use the already cut foam as a template. I'm cutting the plywood so that it's seam and the foam's is offset from each other.

I'm laying the plywood crosswise as opposed to lengthwise so there won't be a seam running the length of the van.

The downside to running the plywood this way is the metal edges that stick out. To get the plywood past them you have to trim off part of the end. Then just lay the trimmed piece in place.

One tip. The drivers side rear corner has a irregular shape. I found this method for creating a template handy. Cardboard strips. Place them one at a time against the wall and tape it down to the foam template (who's edge didn't match the wall to well when I first cut it).

With that template you'll be able to make a good cut.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG

WVvan
Explorer
Explorer
Next layer.
1/2" Extruded foam boards

Post this under Lessons Learned.
If you try to cover the cockpit floor you won't be able to get the doghouse back in.
You need to cut back at least 6" from the opening edge for it to be able to slide into place. I knew it would be a tight fit just didn't know how tight.

Instead I started the insulation at the back edge of the seats.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG

WVvan
Explorer
Explorer
Here's some work I got done before Winter hit.
First layer.
I'm using 4x6 Rubber mats for a sound deadening layer.
Special order from Lowe's. $45 each.

Lay it out on plywood for easier cutting.

Tape together old newspapers to be same size as mat.

Create a template.

Cut the first mat to size and lay in van. Move on to the second mat with a new template. One small problem with the newspaper template. The newspapers are from 1979. I kept stopping to read them.

Next do the front mat. I wussed out on trying to do all the complicated cuts needed for the front wheel wells. I'll go back and do them as smaller pieces. This way only have to cut around the dog house. Didn't bother with template. Just measured and cut a rectangle (56" x 31", I think) then laid it down and trimmed.

Fourth mat goes between the back two and the front one. 6' x 28" wide. The gap between the mats is not perfectly parallel so a little trim to fit is needed.

Use double sided carpet tape to finish the rear wheel wells.
From remnants cut (2) 42"x10.5" pieces. One for each side to be wrapped over the top.

Almost all done with this layer.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Neat! I really like the Habitrail idea. Very inventive. I can appreciate its value, having once rebuilt the front brakes on an old Land Cruiser in the driveway in 15" of snow. One big problem with working in the cold, numb fingers aside, is that paints and adhesives can be awfully slow to dry or cure.

Just please be careful with those kerosene heaters around flammables. They're a source of ignition, especially for vapors like gas and paint fumes. Years back, an acquaintance burned down a very nice garage & two cars with a woodstove while rebuilding a carb.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

WVvan
Explorer
Explorer
Working in the Winter
If I'm planning on having this conversion done in the spring a way to work over the winter is needed. The van is too big to fit into my garage but it will fit in front of it.
Winter is here:

The view from inside the garage.

Use some furring strips, staples, a old tarp and some clamps. Block off the opening with the garage door up.

Using another old tarp and duct tape create a tunnel around the side doors. A piece of scrap plywood is placed on top of the open van doors.

Do a little cutting, put the two together and mark off where they meet.

Do some more taping.

Then install. It only takes a couple of minutes to get it fully into place
I didn't know what to call it. I was thinking of either the Human Habitrail or the Blue ET Tunnel but someone else suggest "The Airlock". I like that.

The tunnel part has some extra length so it will reach the van if I move it and not return it to the exact same spot.
The tarp doesn't provide much in the way of insulation but it does keep the wind out and with the two kerosene heaters running on their low setting the garage and the van stay reasonably warm. It comes down in no time at all and I didn't have to buy a thing. All the parts were already lying around the garage.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG

WVvan
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Mike,
A small window air conditioner is the one upgrade I've thought about but have decided against. Since most of my camping is boondocking I'd have no way to power one without a generator. Of course up till now I've never owned a camper so where I camp might change.
What finally convinced you to add the air conditioner and how do you power it?
Dave

08/28/2009
I'm out working on the van today when a guy came up and asked if I wanted to sell it. He'd noticed there were no tags, I took them off to fix rust around the mount, and thought maybe it was for sale. If I was a quicker thinker I should have asked what he was offering. Maybe done a upgrade ๐Ÿ˜‰

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG

yager
Explorer
Explorer
After camping for a year in my cargo conversion, im now ready to make some more interior mods. I added a window AC in the back door but its still pretty basic inside, ill be curious to see what you end up doing.. -mike
2004 Chevrolet G3500 6.0L\4L80e\3.73s
DIY - Cargo Camper

http://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/

WVvan
Explorer
Explorer
Lesson Learned #1.
If applying clear coat INSIDE the van with a spray gun, wear goggles.
I'm never going to get the clear coat specks off my glasses.:S
It was time for a new pair anyway.
At least I had sense enough to wear a respirator.

08/24/09
"Say Hello To My Little Friend(s)"

I'm going to be getting to know these guys, and their parts, fairly well.
They may not look like much but are in far better shape than this other van I saw:

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
If you find the EZout screw/bolt extractors are not budging the bolts, make sure you do not break it off inside the bolt, because the next step is drilling out the super hardened but brittle EZout.

Not fun.

Consider buying a tap and die kit, and figure out how to sharpen drill bits with an angle grinder.

Or buy a drill doctor.

WVvan
Explorer
Explorer
Two steps forward, One step back:
Did some more painting today.

My first experience with clear coat.

But while removing door hardware before painting I managed to snap off the two bolts holding down the bracket the door latches to when it's closed:

Don't know my own strength.
Luckily there are several web pages on extracting broken bolts.
Looks like I'll be adding left-handed drill bits to my tool collection.

Update: To solve the broken bolts problem I ended up not using a extractor but instead replaced the bracket. It took some real finagling to get the old one out, especially with the bolts sticking out, and another one in but with patience it can be done. That same bracket is used in other places on the van so getting a replacement from a salvage yard wasn't hard.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG

diyvanner
Explorer
Explorer
WVvan, a battery combiner is an excellent alternative to a battery isolator. I use a similar type (Hellroaring) and can vouch for their effectiveness (ran my yellow top down almost flat the day after I set it up). Mine is set-up with the yellow top as the starting battery and a red-top as the auxiliary. House batteries are separate and charged as previously noted. Iโ€™d check the manual on the Sure Power as I donโ€™t believe you can charge the starter battery from the house batteries or vise versa without running the engine. Also, I would run the van enough in the winter to ensure the starting battery stays charged: thereโ€™s nothing worse for an engine and drive train than letting it sit idle IMO.

I think that when I get another starting battery (not auxiliary) I may get a true deep cycle one as most have the necessary cold cranking amps to start the engine even after running a portion of the โ€œhouseโ€ accessories for a while. And even if once and a while I ran it too low I could exercise (combine) the auxiliary battery to crank it over. Iโ€™d definitely do it if I only had one hose battery.
diyVanner

WVvan
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Bananadanna,
I have to blame/credit you with helping me get starting down this path. I was inspired when I saw all that you were able to do without benefit of a garage or other dedicated work area. It looks like you just worked on the street in front of your house, and in the winter to boot. I have a small garage that won't hold the van but will at least give me a space to work from.

Hey Landyacht318,
Thanks for the info. I've made changes to the wiring plan based on your advice. In regards to the 15 amp charger I only have one thing to say:
D'OH!
A 15 amp DC charger doesn't draw 15 AC amps. I should have realized that. Don't know what I was thinking. This particular charger will draw 4 amps. On the plus side it means I can run most my AC appliances and the charger at the same time from one 15 amp shore power circuit. Just have to remember not to use the microwave. Needed to add an extra outlet to shore power so I can plug three things in at once. The charger is already on order so too late to change it. Thanks for straightening me out.

Hey Diyvanner,
I was originally planning on installing an isolator until I started crawling around the engine. This is my first van and I didn't realize how crowded everything is in the engine compartment. I could have made it fit but by using a battery separator it makes the fitting and wiring much simpler. An added benefit, if I'm understanding the Sure Power Model 1315 manual correctly, is that while I have the van house battery charging it will also charge the starting battery. This will be helpful in the winter when the van won't be driven too much.

Some van work pics from today:

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG

diyvanner
Explorer
Explorer
landyacht318โ€™s comment on alternator output seems to be a problem on many coaches and most isolatorโ€™s experience a voltage drop that compounds charging problems. A nifty solution that has worked well for us is to connect an inverter to the starting battery and run an extension cable from it to a 3-stage battery charger (Guest type) thatโ€™s wired to the house batteries. This provides plenty of amperage to the batteries when youโ€™re driving and just plug in shore power (generator) directly to the charger when youโ€™re boondocking. Itโ€™s a simple set-up that the Aussieโ€™s use quite a bit in the outback.

The only A/C we use comes from the 1200-watt inverter in the rear of the coach or the extra receptacle in the 600-watt inverter up front that charges the house batteries.
diyVanner