cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stick with truck camper or go for RV?

SUPERCHARGE
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys. kinda new to all camping RV's, tt's and tc's. I need to ask the more experienced: are there 20-25 ft class A or C RV's which are a bit more off roadable? As in able to travel the beaches, muddy and rocky trails in a similar ability as a standard 4x4 pickup? Most seem way too low and have too much tail end after the er wheel. A few months ago, I got a truck camper at a steal of a price. It served me more than I could of imagined. After a few uses, I realized that i'll most likely start using a/my camper more than originally anticipated and could use the more advanced features an RV can offer over a TC

Here's my situation... i'm single, will be traveling long distances for my job, often off the road and during three seasons. will not be using campgrounds for long periods. Usually be in lesser public and more remote/rougher areas for short periods.

Here's what I like about my current setup: mileage is at about 17mpg and confident i could do better. With a tuned 5.3 liter engine, extended cab, have tons of power. High off the ground and driving is stable due to helper springs, easy to manล“uvre and semi-comfy on the highway. I can also park and sleep a night anywhere in park parkings/parking lots, cities without being bothered with this smaller setup.

What i'm not liking at all is the camper's stability in the bed. Despite being anchored tightly to the bed rails by four brackets, i find there is way too much movement and flex between the TC and bed when the road gets remotely rough. I could also use a bit more room. And i don't have the luxury of a proper shower, generator or extra battery (which kills the ability for Air conditioning or entertainment except the VERY rare times i'll be plugged in.) And an RV clearly seems like a comfier ride with it's larger more stable axles.

So i'd either like a larger TC that has more of the abilities of an RV and find a way of keeping it stable or find an RV that isn't afraid of getting rough like truck. Do these exist Or am I dreaming?
15 REPLIES 15

DiploStrat
Explorer
Explorer
Truck camper vs. 4x4 Class C can quickly become a form of religious conflict.

The biggest advantage of a truck camper is that you can remove the camper and you can probably buy the entire rig for less.

The biggest advantage of a real, expedition 4x4 like a Tiger, XPCamper, or Earthroamer is that their systems, especially the camper systems, are much advanced over the average truck camper. (As all are usually built on the same vehicles, the truck side can be as mild or wild as you wish for about the same price. Is the difference worth it to you? That and, of course, the pass through which our cat loves.

You can read about Ndeke Luka here: Ndeke Luka You may especially want to review the build specs.
DiploStrat

===========================

1990 Mercedes Benz 917/XPCamper

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I've been solo camping in small 4x4 RV's off pavement, often in remote areas, for over 20 years. They're great, but TC's are probably more durable off-road. My small RV fits under trees and between things where a taller or wider unit, say a large TC, cannot go. The pop-up TC's seem to be perfect for getting way out there, but often living space and tanks are smaller than you want.

There is no perfect RV. My recommendation to you: start with a TC. They are more available than off-road C's or A's. They are probably easy to sell when you want to try another type of RV.

It's better to be out there camping than sitting at home for ages fussing about what kind of rig to buy!
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like your question and have wondered the same thing myself.
Something like the "The Bounder" is as close as I got.
At some point in the future I won't need a pickup truck anymore, thus an off-road motorhome seems like an alternative RV.

You may have to look at upgrading your truck and camper to achieve the livability of the camper that your post suggests. Many TC's do have generators, AC, microwave, showers and all the things of a home.

But those camper are very heavy and quickly exceed the payload capacity of many pickup trucks.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Without getting crazy expensive, truck campers are the off road RV of choice.
- Find a truck camper group (or just an experienced guy) and have them check to make sure your tie downs are set up properly. You can't tie them down so tightly that you eliminate all movement but if they are too loose that can also be bad.
- Look into a front mounted hitch to mount a portable generator. That will give you power away from developed camp grounds. Search the forum on generator sizing so you understand what size to get to support running the air/con.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Uhh I thought a TC was an RV? Did I miss something????

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to chat with some of the folks over on Expedition Portal

I visited the XP Camper factory several weeks ago. They make a good product that I really like.

If you are interested in the Tigers, DiploStrat has one of the new ones.

Here's what I drive

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Every thing in life is a trade off. I don't believe you can find a universal MH to do everything for a price you can afford. If you start with this premise, ask yourself how much time will I spend off road in mud,sand etc. vs dirt roads in remote areas. TC's have very little fresh water storage vs 80- 100 gals in a small Class A which will also have more living space and be more comfortable to live in which is what you want to do. It will have levelers to stabilize the MH also. You get 17 mpgs now with a TC, if you really think how you will work travel and live I would say you will get 20+mpg with a small Class A and a tow car. I would use the Class A as a house to live in and drive close to where you want to go remotely then use your 4 wheel drive car to get to your job site run into town to buy grocery's,etc. You will find you will put as many miles or more on your tow car as on the MH. I have a 33 ft Class A that gets 8.7 mpgs and a small tow car that get 40 mpgs so my total for the set up is 23 mpgs. Most of my camping is on dirt roads and do a lot of exploring in the tow car. Also if you are really camping/living remotely a small tow car is nice to run into town when something on your MH breaks and you need parts from a auto parts store rather than calling a tow truck to tow you out. When I camped on the beach in San Padre island I stayed in a NF CG but took the tow car along the beach there were many camping for free along the beach. If you got stuck or had a break down it was very expensive to tow you out. Just another perspective for you to think about.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
XPcampers

If you want a removeable camper to maintain the utility of your truck with the camper your could remove the box and set up a 3 point mount flatbed - 2 at the front single mid point rear that allows the truck's frame to move and twist independently of the camper. Lots of room for storage compartments once the stylin sheet metal box sides are out of the way.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
While posting the same topic in more than one forum is not allowed here, you might also pose the same questions to those in the truck campers forum. Just give it a different title and word your post a little bit differently. I think this is a good reason to post the same thing in two different forums. I imagine the moderators would understand.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

SUPERCHARGE
Explorer
Explorer
Genecop... those tiger motorhomes... not too shabby at all for those prices. Interesting...

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remember. Your truck camper is also an RV / recreational vehicle. Actually ALL campers are RVs. Motorhomes are just a different kind of RV.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

SUPERCHARGE
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks a bunch for the info guys. Funny about the earth roamers.I looked at them quite a bit but obviously a bit over budget, a bit narrow and not so great a fuel.

I could of swallowed the cost of fuel for an RV if I was absolutely happy with everything else. Bit yeah, under 10mpg... pretty nasty for a one person on long travels. As for trailers... no go. Have already been in really tight trails and spots in which I would of never come out with a trailer...reversing and turning around on tight lake-end dirt roads and beaches.

So i'll go with your suggestions in that case and stay with the TC's. Ill talk to some tc guys about trying to set myself up a bit better.

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out Tiger Motorhomes......you can pick them up at a more reasonable price than Earthroamer and they are true off road RV's....Also Earthroamer has a used program ....200,000 dollar range.

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
They exist alright and can be yours for around $400,000.00!

http://earthroamer.com/

With that being said almost anything you touch is not going to get 17mpg like your stated current MPG - which is absolutely amazing! Especially considering the weight of the TC and higher less aerodynamic profile of the rig going down the road. I would say be prepared to get 6-10MPG if buy an RV. That might be reason enough to just keep what ya got.

You probably need to decide which is more important to you though - the extra capability a TC offers with 4x4 and ease of driving/parking OR the extra amenities a larger RV offers.

If you're comfortable towing - you could have the best of both worlds really. 4x4 truck and a 20-25ft camper or so. Mine is 30ft long and has a higher than average ground clearance for a trailer. I've gotten into some pretty knarly forest service camping spots (not manicured campgrounds) and have needed the 4x4 on a few occasions. I almost exclusively boondocks with no hookups. You might consider this type of setup. Your MPG wills till suck. I get around 13mpg towing overall. Best was 14 or so and worst around 10.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4