cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storing Diesel long term during COVID

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Long range planner here. Asking questions on storing our diesel RV.

Usually head south for the winter. Looks likely a no go for us this fall due to health issues with potential Covid exposure. I have not winterized for years as we have not needed it. RV will likely stay stored for at least 6 months assuming a few short trips locally before end of October. Will do normal maintenance on RV chassis before storing. Assuming things do not dramatically change, we will be staying home this fall.

OK with winterizing but what should I do to treat the diesel fuel (Cummings 360 engine), what to do when when I unstore, and what else do I need to know? Long time RVer, newish to diesel land. All info will be gratefully accepted. If it sits all summer is there anything I should do now?

Think not doing significant RVing travel in our near future is the hardest part for us. Safe travels all. THANKS in advance for any advice on safely storing our Tiffin.
16 REPLIES 16

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Diesel is more stable than gasoline. Throw in a dose of Stabil, fill the tank, and drive to storage. The engine and starting battery will benefit from running enough to reach operating temperature once a month, just like your generator. With a diesel, that will likely require driving it 10 miles or so, as diesels don’t warm up well while idling, and turbo oil seals don’t like lack of pressurization.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I put a bit of diesel biocide in my tank when I get home from my winter trip in case I don't travel before next winter. Although many do, I never bother fill the tank, just add a bit of fuel to wash down the biocide.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36