Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Protectors

iquilt888
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a class A motor home.

I've heard that surge protectors are a necessary item. I'm not sure they are. If there is anyone with an idea on this please jump right in.

Once folks do jump in can you address the portable vs the hard wired.

Thanks so much.
50 REPLIES 50

JaBob
Explorer
Explorer
I believe after just one incident in 10 years.

Bob

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I've lived in my house for over 20 years. Haven't had a fire or hit by a tornado......I still carry house insurance.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Chuck_Gail
Explorer
Explorer
Never had one yet. No troubles in well over 100,000 miles and many years.
Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded

Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories

I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis M M wrote:
Go to http://www.progressiveindustries.net right now, get an EMS and relax.

Just FYI, one of our neighbors last winter had a melt down on his plug. The subsequent short burned out his power cable AND a 42" flat scree TV. A plan old surge protector would not have helped.

How can you burn the TV? Doesn't the coach have any circuit breakers. If you have an AC direct short a circuit breaker should trip. And if it is a DC direct short, then a fuse will blow.

So I just do not understand how you guys can come up with some stories like that.

Actually the circuit breaker from where shore power was connected should have tripped.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 50 amp Smart Surge protector manufactured by Progressive. It has lights to alert you if the shore power you are about to hook up to is wired correct Naturally it will protect your coach if there is a spike or surge. It also will not all any current past the protector if the voltage is too low on the shore power.

Anyways it has worked for us many times alerting as to how the polarity is on some of these RV parks.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years I had a slide-in camper, Class C, Class A gasser and now a DP. We didn't install a surge protector until we bought the DP. It's a matter of how much electronic equipment you have. My slide-in camper had a portable TV, the CLass C had a cheapie 19" TV and really nothing else. Even my gasser didn't have that much in the way of electronics. My DP is a different story. It has an inverter, Home Theater, 2 A/C's, two TV's, satellite and a few other things that need protection.

My opinion is it's like insurance as another poster stated. If I have a $500.00 car I have liability only. If I have a new Lexus, I carry full coverage.

With that said, I have the SurgeGuard hard wired unit. It has worked well and shut the power down on a couple of occasions where the voltage dropped too low. The first time I used it, it told me my home wiring was wrong. If I were to buy one today, I would buy the Progressive unit because it has more bells and whistles.

I believe camping should be easy, so mine is hard wired. I think everything you add to setting up camp just takes away from your camping time and enjoyment. If you buy the portable unit, you not only have to connect it, but you have to worry about locking it.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've been RVing for about 24 years and never needed one. But, I camp mostly locally and in the same dozen or so CG's. If I were traveling around the country staying at different places all the time I would have the best SP money could buy.

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Go to http://www.progressiveindustries.net right now, get an EMS and relax.

Just FYI, one of our neighbors last winter had a melt down on his plug. The subsequent short burned out his power cable AND a 42" flat scree TV. A plan old surge protector would not have helped.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi,

There are no stupid questions.

If you have thirty amp the likelihood of over voltage connections drops dramatically. Correspondingly low voltage may be a concern. Since the current "crop" of brown out protection is way too low at 103 volts it would be better to get an autoformer rather than a surge guard.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
iquilt888 wrote:
I realize this is a stupid question but I figure if I don't ask it will be a truly stupid expensive question.

I have a 30 amp plug. So getting a surge protector for anything above that, like a 50 amp, would be a waste? However, I have been places where we've had to use an adapter to plug in our 30 amp.

I believe the 30 amp model is on sale too. 30 Amp Surge Guard
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

iquilt888
Explorer
Explorer
I realize this is a stupid question but I figure if I don't ask it will be a truly stupid expensive question.

I have a 30 amp plug. So getting a surge protector for anything above that, like a 50 amp, would be a waste? However, I have been places where we've had to use an adapter to plug in our 30 amp.

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Here ya go. Camping world has them on sale 50 Amp Surge Protector

Picked one up today
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Surge protectors range from $80.00 to $400.00.
$3,000 to replace the AC, converter, micro etc damaged from a power surge. Do the math.

Been there done that I KNOW what it costs to replace those items as well as many other forum members with the nerve to post about it.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
You don't have to have it and you don't have to have insurance. A surge Prtector is very cheap insurance. We have a Surge Guard and it saved us twice last year on a three month trip to the Rockies. When we were in the Tetons lightening struck a tree about 75 feet from us and the surge guard kicked out. Another time it tripped in a campground with a brown out. It is not only the expensive repairs that I am trying to prevent. If something fries your system and you are on vacation you are totally shut down and out of business.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi,

If you are on 50 amp it may be a good idea. I prefer to check the voltage myself. You would need to make a break out box and use these two items.

kill-a-watt

watt meter

Outlet tester.

outlet tester

It may be better to look at surge protected autoformers, before using something that cripples the use of the electrical system by cutting off the power at what may be too low a voltage to prevent damage to electric motors. My comfort level is 109 volts or above.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.