cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Survey - How Do You Store Your Class A?

cbr46
Explorer
Explorer
Considering new home options and how to store our Class A. Currently it sits in the driveway, exposed. I don't like it but not willing to invest in a short term structure.

So what is the consensus? How do you store your Class A?

Full timer, park to park?
No shelter?
Park at storage facility exposed?
Park at storage facility under roof?
RV Garage?
Pole barn?
Sits in the driveway?

If you built an enclosed garage, what was the cost, how big, what materials and how long ago? or $/sq ft?

With enough responses I'll build a spreadsheet with percentages.

Thanks for your time,
- bob
83 REPLIES 83

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
If we had our choice, we would build covered storage at our house. But, we live in a gated, retirement community, so that's a no go. However, we do have a gated storage lot within our community that has covered storage for RVs with electric. Wish it had a dump, but it doesn't. It's very convenient...just drive the golf cart to the MH, plus we're allowed to park it in front of the house 24 hrs. before and after a trip for loading and unloading.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Outdoor storage lot with 15 amp power.

If I had a choice it would be at home and out of sight I would definitely build and enclosure. $30k to $60k would be a good investment to protect a motorhome worth several hundred thousand.

I know: "Out of sight" for a building that large is a lot to ask for.

cbr46
Explorer
Explorer
A limestone mine? OK, that's unique . . . .

This is what I have so far -

4% - Full timer, park to park - US
13% - No shelter - TN WA AZ
8% - Storage facility exposed - CA VA
9% - Storage facility under roof - AZ GA
48% - Garage - AZ CA W-US WA NY MI GA KS UT MT PA
0% - Pole barn
22% - Sits in driveway - CT WA WI MD PA

If we buy a house with no basement I'm thinking 16x50 for the MH (extra length for future MH's), 16x50 for trailer storage (15') + aux storage behind it and 16x50 for workshop, yard stuff, storage. 48x50 should do it. The barn would be open inside - no dividing walls. The shop portion would probably have walls for heat/AC.

This is all conjecture right now. Pie in the sky

Best,
- bob

edit - totals add up to over 100% because I added VA last minute. Will fix in next report.

jpmihalk
Explorer
Explorer
Since we live in a condo, she stays outdoors in a Public Storage lot about a mile from the condo.
John & Kerri
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C with our pups MacDuff, Piper and Annabelle

purplekeenah
Explorer
Explorer
April thru October it's parked beside our house when not traveling, November thru March it's stored in underground storage(limestone mine) with temperature and humidity control.
2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2013 Chevy Equinox

Never gave it a thought as I use it almost every week so it sits outside powerd up when not in use......I never did understand saving my "stuff" for someone else......I use it. But on the other hand if it sits a lot certainly will keep it nice if inside....

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Summer time - when not in use - Thermostat controlled air conditioned shed
Winter time - Heated and humidity controlled barn

Keeps everything inside and outside the rig looking and acting new
A little preventive maintenance goes a long ways

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 20 x 55 foot RV garage as part of my house. If you can afford it and the lot is large enough, it is the best way to go. I have also had detached metal shelters that work well to keep the coach out of the elements.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
We are fortunate. I was able to fit it indoors at my business I also haven't winterized in probably eight years or so.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
In our driveway. However, we are moving to coastal NC soon and I am struggling with finding a place to store it. Since most of our trips we use the MH are to vacation at the beach, and we'll be living at the beach, we've discussed selling it. A few places we are looking have boat access and private slip so I may trade MH life for boat life.
2013 ACE 29.2

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I store mine inside my house 15' from the kitchen making it easy to load it up and go.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

et2
Explorer
Explorer
In a storage yard with electric plugged in. Out in the open, wheels covered only. Done this for 20 years ( different rigs). Never any sun damage. We have a bubble reflective barrier in the front window on MH. No cover.

Bruce_Brown
We built a 32'x48' heated garage back in 2001. We haven't winterized since.

As to cost, we did 80% of the labor ourselves and had around $21,000 in it at the time. I've since finished off the inside more, added extra lighting, etc.

I would highly suggest building a garage. It sure does a nice job keeping them like new.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
West-Central Georgia: In an RV storage lot, under a roof, with 15-amp power. We also have an open-air RV pad at the house with water and 30-amp power, currently used only when we're packing up for a trip. As US society gets closer to total collapse, however, we may keep the RV there, stocked and loaded for a quick getaway to the hills.
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

the_vfox
Explorer
Explorer
Parked next to our home. We plug it in a couple days before we go out. The solar charger keeps the batter going while it's not plugged in.
Fox and Angel, fuzz ball cat and crazy Yorkie :S
Don't call me on the weekend, Im out camping.:C
2001 Itasca Horizon DP 36LD 330 Cat and all the bells and whistles
Go Blue, US Air Force(retired)25 years ๐Ÿ™‚