cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tag axle MH sagging... what to do?

Phenomenon
Explorer
Explorer
1991 Fleetwood Bounder Special Edition, 40feet long with a tag axle out back.

The weird part with this tag axle setup is that it uses the bloody mor-ryde system but its a pivoting arm that supports both axles.

I would say the rear end is sagging a good 8" for sure. It only bottoms out on really big bumps but this thing is nose up all the time.

Ive tried googling this setup but im not finding much on how to make it ride level again.

The actual "rubber suspension" bits seem to be fine but i do notice the drive axle is the only one with coil springs on it.

I'm almost wondering if i put some air bags there instead if it would raise it up and make it ride better.

Anyone have hands on experience with this setup?
27 REPLIES 27

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
mpierce wrote:
Mile High wrote:
Something definitely wrong there - they don't show any axle weight for the tag. Either somebody swapped your vin tag, or the manufacturer messed up (probably the latter).

The front axle seems light at 6,000, but OK. The rear dually, OK at 10,000, but there is no way both the main drive axle and tag would be 10,000 together.

Even if the tag was only rated for 6,000, that would put you at 22,000 GVWR.

I bet the Chassis was made with only the drive axle, thus the tag without a tag axle listed. The Mfg. then added the tag axle during mfg of the MH.

That would make sense.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Phenomenon
Explorer
Explorer
Thats correct, when this frame left the factory it was a single axle on leaf springs, fleetwood ripped it out and added a tag axle setup but kept the drive axle thats bolted to the pivot setup. It's the weirdest setup ive ever seen.

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Something definitely wrong there - they don't show any axle weight for the tag. Either somebody swapped your vin tag, or the manufacturer messed up (probably the latter).

The front axle seems light at 6,000, but OK. The rear dually, OK at 10,000, but there is no way both the main drive axle and tag would be 10,000 together.

I bet the Chassis was made with only the drive axle, thus the tag without a tag axle listed. The Mfg. then added the tag axle during mfg of the MH.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
ya, take away the tow vehicle and its not bad.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
delete
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Phenomenon
Explorer
Explorer
ya the engine swap was a major pain in my backside but its done and running perfectly now. According to that page they only rate it for a total of 2732lbs of people and stuff including a tow vehicle. I would say thats almost impossible to stay within that limit.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Saw on the other thread you had to put an engine in it - 😞

So, using that piece of paper it looks like your total axle capacity is 23,072 lbs, but they derate you to 19,300 for some reason, probably tire rating.

Your total combined gross weight is 20,000, including what you put on the rear hitch if you have one.

No wonder folks run around overloaded most of the time - its a puzzle 🙂

Phenomenon
Explorer
Explorer

Found this other page in the bedroom closet

Phenomenon
Explorer
Explorer

This is the sag i speak of.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer

Phenomenon
Explorer
Explorer

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Phenomenon wrote:
The tag on the MH says 16,000lbs but i havent actually run it accross a scale yet.

I would think you would have four weights listed on the tag.

Front axle
Drive axle
Tag axle
Gross weight

I just cannot believe 16k for gross weight. Why would a tag be put on a rig that is only 16k at max?

I would hazard a 28-32k gross weight, or even a little more.

My '14 dodge dually pickup has a gross weight that high!

Phenomenon
Explorer
Explorer
I did recieve an email back from them, they say to replace the rubber suspension parts at a cost of $278 cdn X 4. I cant afford that nor are they in that bad of shape. I have a feeling its the coil springs that have been compressed over the years. Gonna take it to a suspension shop tomorrow that deals with heavy trucks.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Still not sure why you don't call Mor-Ryde. They built the suspension on that Oshkosh chassis and are nice folks. I'm sure they can give you some ideas.