Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tank dumping questions....

Stutch
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all..... Question for you...

I want to install automatic/electric valve open & close units. The Barker units are easy to install.

I have macerating toilets so my drain pipe going to the sewer is a 1" tube. Better than the 3" kind and much cleaner. I mention this because when I drain my black tank, I close my grey tank off first.

Because of the size hose, it can take 10 mins to drain my black tank. Therefore the 60 gals of fluid is pushing down the hose but not as freely as with a 3" hose.

So, here is my questions. Since I leave my grey tank open all the time, (closing it only before I dump my black and I do this ..... just because !!!!), can I open my black tank valve while my grey tank is open? Again, take into account the pressure cause by using a 1" hose!!

Do I need to order 2 automatic valves, (1) 1.5" and (1) 3" and do what I am doing now or am I being anal about closing the grey tank first and having only 1 black tank automatic valve is enough?

Thanks....
Mike
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
Honda CRV
TM
5 REPLIES 5

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The answer is yes.

I will tell you of an advertisement you see in RV magazines and how to make the first scene happen.

Stinky RV, you see lines coming off it (Clearly "Black Tank Odor") and nobody parked nearby.... Then (in the ad) you dump in some expensive nasty chemicals they sell which contaminate ground water for the next hundred years or so and the odor goes away.. In the fictional world of the ad.

How to make it happen

Straight drop from your dump valve to the park's hole in the ground, NO DIPS that can trap water in the drain hose (how I'm hooked up as I type) OPEN either valve and leave it open.. Odor from underground travels up the hose, into your tank and out the vents making yours the Stinky RV

NOTE: this works in a locker room shower if nobody showers and the water in the drain traps evoprates (Story follows)

Solution Close the valves, trapping the stink below the valves.

Other story: Men't toilet/shower at work (I was a police dispatcher) once got Very Stinky.. Finally I took a large "mug" and dumped about 2 quarts of water down each floor drain, both in the shower area nad the non-shower area.

30 minutes later.. No more stink. Just like that. Same concept exactly

WHY they have traps in those pipes by the way.

You know. that was a major post, Biggest in the department in fact, we had over 100 Troopers and every rank short of Captain in that post.

And it took a DISPATCHER to figure it out.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
It's better to let your grey tank get full before dumping.

for two reasons. first, it will "clean" your sewer hose and second, you won't be emitting noxious odors throughout the park or campground.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The pack pressure from the small hose will likely cause black tank contents to flow backwards into the grey tank. That's not really a concern though, since it all ends up in the same place anyway.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Mike,

We have air operated valves that I can control inside or outside (of course the hose would need to be connected).

99.9% of the time, I just operate the valves outside as I don't leave the sewer hose connected. I only connect the hose when I'm ready to dump (we have large tanks).

If we are going to stay at a campground for a week or more, I have connected the sewer hose and would dump automatically from inside. Our coach has ONE holding tank for black and grey (150+ gal tank). We also have a 'grey water bypass' that I can use if boondocking or if I'm not near a dump station. Only the toilets will use the black tank, the water from the washer, dishwasher, sinks and shower can bypass the holding tank and go on the ground or I can connect a hose to the outlet and redirect where needed.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I would go to the trouble of adding auto valves. It's so easy to just release them outside.

You mentioned leaving your black tank valve open like you do that grey, I think you will find that will certainly give you the 'dreaded poop pyramid' that will cause a big fat headache. The black tank needs plenty of water and leaving it open will drain the water but not the important stuff.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
It's better to let your grey tank get full before dumping.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter