Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The "7-Year Glitches"

bluegypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Like the "7-year itch" kinda....
Our rig is approaching its 7th year of full-time use, and in the past couple of months I've had to replace the bedroom lights dimmer switch (quick and easy) and the water heater relay (not so quick and easy).

The water heater relay was an especially scary "glitch" - we hooked up at a CG in TN, and after a few minutes began to smell an awful "burnt insulation" smell in the bedroom. After switching off all AC power and checking all over the place, we discovered where the smell was coming from, the back end of the Atwood water heater. A call to Atwood followed, where we found out that the OEMs (in this case Fleetwood) sometimes leave too much wiring in the little plastic box that houses the relay, causing eventual chafing and wires shorting out (this being the 15 amp AC to the heater!). That's exactly what happened in my case. Removed burnt wiring, shortening it, and replaced relay just in case it was damaged. All OK now.

Funny thing I learned during my troubleshooting: At one point during my "smell-check" I turned off the circuit breaker to the water heater, and also the "washer-dryer" breaker (which we don't have) - later noticed my power distribution display showed I was only hooked up to 30 amp power, but I was connected to 50 amp at pedestal. Called CG maintenance over, they checked pedestal, all good. After checking my transfer switch, etc, etc, (and sweating & swearing) discovered that turning the "washer-dryer" circuit breaker back on fixed the erroneous display.

Anyways, guess it's just the start of the rig's "7-year glitch" time.
Bluegypsy (that's the RV's name)

Map shows where we've lived and worked, travelling through doesn't count....
8 REPLIES 8

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I never had the "7 year glitch". I had the 11,12 and 13 year glitches. Re manufactured tranny (Jasper) new brakes all around (Ford) and new tires (last month at Camping World).
All started around 48,000 miles...now have 55 thou on the clock. Was advised to trade it...but why? I know what I've got (lotta new stuff) and the coach itself is fine. I figure a couple hundred here...a thousand or two there is better than another (new) hundred thousand mortgage.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Other than my Norcold I can't complain after 10 years of half time use. Still looks good on the outside and see no reason why it will not go another 10 without major problems.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned my Winnebago for over a decade (bought it new) and I have had very little trouble with it! And, I've never heard of a 7 year glitch? Is that like breaking a mirror and having 7 years of trouble?

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We experienced the "7 year Glitch" on our way to Alaska in 2011 in our '04 Southwind. Developed a leak in the rear passenger side corner and the rains would not stop long enough for me to dry things out to caulk and patch. I never located the actual leak, just put enough caulk in enough places that it stopped. Blew or burned through both exhaust donuts near Fort Brag CA, as close to no place for RV service as you want to be. Made awful noise climbing the hills. The interior cabinetry, never the best, began to come apart requiring constant attention. A year later it was clear the interior needed to be completely redone and the WH chassis had 105,000 miles so we decided to trade it in on a DP.

I have 4 1/2 years to go, however we are presently in Red Bay hoping to prevent some of those glitches from happening.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since mine is a 2002 so 12 yo, I guess the PO took care of the "glitches".

My 2000 Beaver was pretty trouble free so once again those issue were resolved before I took ownership.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
Great. Mine is a 2008. i'm so looking forward to this great opportunity to tinker.

Don't worry it's always fun figuring out how a MH is put together that does not in any way resemble how they do it in a residential house.:W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Great. Mine is a 2008. i'm so looking forward to this great opportunity to tinker.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
bluegypsy wrote:
Like the "7-year itch" kinda....
Our rig is approaching its 7th year of full-time use, and in the past couple of months I've had to replace the bedroom lights dimmer switch (quick and easy) and the water heater relay (not so quick and easy).

The water heater relay was an especially scary "glitch" - we hooked up at a CG in TN, and after a few minutes began to smell an awful "burnt insulation" smell in the bedroom. After switching off all AC power and checking all over the place, we discovered where the smell was coming from, the back end of the Atwood water heater. A call to Atwood followed, where we found out that the OEMs (in this case Fleetwood) sometimes

leave too much wiring in the little plastic box

that houses the relay, causing eventual chafing and wires shorting out (this being the 15 amp AC to the heater!). That's exactly what happened in my case. Removed burnt wiring, shortening it, and replaced relay just in case it was damaged. All OK now.

Funny thing I learned during my troubleshooting: At one point during my "smell-check" I turned off the circuit breaker to the water heater, and also the "washer-dryer" breaker (which we don't have) - later noticed my power distribution display showed I was only hooked up to 30 amp power, but I was connected to 50 amp at pedestal. Called CG maintenance over, they checked pedestal, all good. After checking my transfer switch, etc, etc, (and sweating & swearing) discovered that turning the "washer-dryer" circuit breaker back on fixed the erroneous display.

Anyways, guess it's just the start of the rig's "7-year glitch" time.

x2
Right around 7 years is when I started replacing items too.

Interesting about the 'extra' wires. Seems the manufacturers of RV's think more is better when it comes to wires and hose.:R

I had 'extra' wire going across the underbelly up and over the frame for running lights that came apart. Took 3 service calls to no avail. Until the day I crawled under the MH to look at something else and saw where they had zip stripped it to the top of the frame out of view and the splice had come apart. THE reason I had no running lights.

'Extra', WAY extra fuel line hose looped all over the underbelly for the gen ended up being a problem that took 5 service calls to figure out. Poor ole fuel pump was pooped trying to suck gas thru all those hoops. Cut out all the excess hose and she worked fine.

Still cheaper than fixing the sticks and bricks where ALL the big buck appliances go out miraculously at the stroke of 10 years!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.