cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thetford Toilet Misbehaving

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Winn MH. It has a Thetford Aqua-Magic Lite toilet. When you press the pedal halfway it used to fill bowl, then all the way flush. But now even with the slightest pressure the waste ball moves and opens. Seems like a linkage problem. Pedal press should activate water valve first, later the waste ball. Anyone know why the waste ball is activating immediately? The waste ball also is not closing enough and allows water to seep out.

If I have to I plan to take it all apart, troubleshoot, repair, replace seals, etc. But posting this in case (hopefully) this is a known problem and there is a quick answer that I can fix without taking it all apart. Thanks in advance.

Always fixing something....
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
6 REPLIES 6

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this, thank you for your help. I applied some silicone grease to the slot but it still misbehaved. For mine I used neddle nose pliers and bent the linkage wire slightly, wha la! In my case the tension from the spring was causing the linkage wire to drag on the slot. No worries, more camping!
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow

fivejackie
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2015 27K Hurricane after a few years would not hold water. Got a toilet brush a Wally World and cleaned the seal by rotating to clean the inside grooves. It took a couple of days of cleaning, now it holds water for at least a month.
Don and Jackie
2115 Hurricane 27K
2113 Redhawk
1992 Pace Arrow

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
Spray the moving parts in the rear of the toilet with silicone so they all move freely. With the water supply turned off, a few drops of 303 on the ball and seal while working the ball will allow the ball to seal. A few more drops of 303 and allow it to sit until the next use. I use this method about every two weeks and the 8 year old ball/seal still works without leaking.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Thetford Aqua Magic Style Plus uses a similar flush/fill setup to the Lite. About once a year or so, I put a small amount of silicone grease in the slot on the flush valve actuator where the fill linkage slides to prevent exactly the problem described. The fill linkage is supposed to slide to the end of the slot on the flush actuator before opening the ball.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Toss it and go for a Dometic 310 with wood slow drop seat, or the 320 if you have the room. Replacing mine as soon as it quits snowing.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
In 18 months of using our 2017 40' 5er full time we've had to lube linkages and replace seals once due to the ball not sealing and letting the water in the bowl leak down and replace a valve as it began leaking onto the bathroom floor.

Ours has never allowed water in the bowl without the ball opening since new. They happen simultaneously.
2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch