cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thor Compass questions

RDJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! New guy here, trying to decide what Class C to buy. Looking for long term durability and good fuel mileage. Considering a Sprinter based unit, then found out about the Transit option.

I know this is a new product, but I'm looking for any user comments, and I have a few questions about it.

I see it does not come with a spare tire, and has no place to store one either. What do folks do about this? Are the front and rear rims interchangeable?

I haven't been able to find anything about access to the generator for checking/changing oil, etc.

Thanks in advance, and I'm sure I'll come up with more questions.

Jeff
4 REPLIES 4

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
RDJeff wrote:

I haven't been able to find anything about access to the generator for checking/changing oil, etc.

Jeff

Jeff, Hubby and I have been looking at random Class B+ and C's - and a common problem I'm finding with the smaller Thors, is that they make winterizing a real chore. On one unit, they couldn't tell me where the water pump was; on another, it would have been a real PITA to access the pump to draw antifreeze out of a bottle (my preferred way of winterizing). For folks in Florida, winterization is probably not an issue, but for us northerners, it's critical. So be sure to ask (and LOOK AT) where the water pump is.

Other brands, like Sunseeker and Winnebago, make winterization fairly easy, depending on the unit.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look up Thor a lot here on the forums. There is a pretty heavy negative lean at their quality. There is an overall trend that leans that way on the internet. Many owners will say they "like them but had this and that"... I'd suggest research.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Jeff,

The Ford Transit sure shows a lot of promise. There are some RV manufactures utilizing it, and more to come in due time. Just make sure the brand & model you consider can handle the weight with consideration to fresh water, people, and people stuff. Even more concerning is the added weight of each slide out. I say this because the Transit cannot carry as much as a Sprinter, and the Sprinter can't carry as much as the E350. A short motor home in the 23-25 foot length, the E350 is ideally suited to handle the weight. The Transit.....it's concerning. Just so you understand, the Promaster chassis is worse yet. You can hardly get in and drive off the RV lot without placing the Promaster rig over-weight.

The weight (and cost savings) issue is the reason why the spare tire is not included. That allows ~70 pounds more of your own stuff you can bring along. I am surprised myself to learn how many people do not carry a spare tire. It is much more common than you might think. Tire pressure sensors are "A Must" in my own mind if not carrying a spare. Also carrying a can of Fix-A-Flat wouldn't hurt either.

And the answer is "YES" to your one question. The 6 wheels/tires are identical and can be mounted in any of the 6 positions.

If looking for a rig suited for two people, I kindly introduce you to THIS line with short models offered on the E350 and Sprinter. We've owned our 2350 HERE for nearly 10 years now which hasn't changed much since.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know anything about the Thor, but you might try YouTube, there's a lot of MH videos on there.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.