cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thor Compass Thor Gemini like Winnebago View Itasca Navion

GORVN4FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Ok... So, I would gladly trade in my class A MH for a Winnebago View or Itasca Navion. They are awesome quality from the Mercedes diesel chassis to the Winnebago design. But... they are expensive. I just found out that Thor has a Compass and Gemini build on a Ford diesel chassis based on a similar concept but not quite as good. Priced better. Any opinions?
Current - 06 Georgetown 326DSF XL - Class A w/ 07 Ford Edge toad
3rd - 02 Dutchmen Classic 28FB-DSL TT w/Silverado PU & Expedition SUV
2nd - 99 Wilderness Lite 22' TT w/Dakota PU
1st - 87 Palomino Slide-In TC w/Toyota PU
10 REPLIES 10

mm047
Explorer
Explorer
The first several Transit based RV's are coming out on the 156" wheelbase cutaway, not on the longer 178" one. I can see why. The long wheelbase doesn't give any better weight capacity, so why go to the extra expense? Also, any C on that chassis would be a direct competitor to ones on the Sprinter.

I hope Ford ups the ratings on the longer chassis so RV builders can make a unit that tops the Sprinter units. The Sprinter has gone a long time without any real updating, and in my opinion, has really gotten old. Seating, climate control, brakes are all pretty bad.

By the way, Ford does not offer the EcoBoost in the cutaway, only the regular gasser or the diesel
Mike M.

2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6
2016 Flagstaff 21FBRS
Equal-I-Zer

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
burlmart wrote:

diesel transit tows 5000# - winnie trend does 2000#

a lot going on in this ruv concept. fwiw, this C is one of the more B-like B+ motorhomes out there. from the video, it seems kinda' cramped. if you want any daylight from the 4 rear windows, you must extend bed slide. tthere seems to be a lot of interior 'finishing' material, which adds to a sense of plushness. didn't see if cab seats swivel.

coming from an A, the lack of a solid shower glass door may be an issue.

the long wheelbase and close-to-ground door entry may cause some scrapes in urban curbed entryways and/or uneven cg sites.

the unit looks fun, especially for a solo traveller.

The Fuse (Transit based) does not tow 5000 lbs however. GVW is 10,400 (which is where you will be when loaded to travel) and GCWR is 12,000. That leaves room to tow 1600 lbs. The same calculation needs to be made with the Trend to find actual towing capacity.

My Navion is rated to tow 5,000 lbs but I can't get there for the exact same reason. Fully laden, it is limited to about 4,000 lbs (assuming zero tongue weight). Tongue weight counts as vehicle cargo.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

GORVN4FUN
Explorer
Explorer
burlmart wrote:
if you want any daylight from the 4 rear windows, you must extend bed slide.

I agree that the way they deal with the bed when slide-out is in is not something I would want when dry docking (wally world) on trips. I want something that is great for traveling more than camping. Also, something with good tow capacity.
Current - 06 Georgetown 326DSF XL - Class A w/ 07 Ford Edge toad
3rd - 02 Dutchmen Classic 28FB-DSL TT w/Silverado PU & Expedition SUV
2nd - 99 Wilderness Lite 22' TT w/Dakota PU
1st - 87 Palomino Slide-In TC w/Toyota PU

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks like the new Ford Transit chassis with the 3.5L EcoBoost® V6 option is coming up close to the specs of the V10, so power should be adequate with this engine option for most U.S. market Class C models.

However, as shown in this link even the very heaviest Transit chassis - the 350HD DRW - has a GVWR of only 10,360 lbs., which is too light for many Class C applications:

http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transitcommercial/specifications/

Perhaps the good old Ford E350 and E450 chassis are proving to be a tough chassis to replace merely to gain some improved fuel mileage.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer

diesel transit tows 5000# - winnie trend does 2000#

a lot going on in this ruv concept. fwiw, this C is one of the more B-like B+ motorhomes out there. from the video, it seems kinda' cramped. if you want any daylight from the 4 rear windows, you must extend bed slide. tthere seems to be a lot of interior 'finishing' material, which adds to a sense of plushness. didn't see if cab seats swivel.

coming from an A, the lack of a solid shower glass door may be an issue.

the long wheelbase and close-to-ground door entry may cause some scrapes in urban curbed entryways and/or uneven cg sites.

the unit looks fun, especially for a solo traveller.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

Old_Crows
Explorer
Explorer
What Dakzuki said. Also, the Sprinter gets pretty good MPG.
Old Crows

2014 View Profile
2010 Four Winds Ventura
2005 Trail-Lite C-17 Hybrid TT

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford chassis has a gross weight more akin to the first generation of View/Navion and can tow much less.

In either case be mindful of OCCC numbers if you are downsizing from a class A.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
We like our View a lot. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. We bought ours used but practically new. See below.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Nice size and floorplan. They are smaller than the View & Navion. Winnebago makes one too, called the Fuse.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.