cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tips for reducing set-up time?

HydroGeo
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any tips to shorten set-up time (besides just pulling into a WalMart parking lot!)? At the end of a day of driving, we usually spend about 1.5 hr setting up, which makes for a very long day. Hubby is very particular about checking the site, making sure power and water work, then we level, put slides out, etc.Then it's either unhook the toad and go out for dinner or microwave some leftovers. Reverse the process in the morning and we spend a lot of time on a travel day not traveling.
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3849, 4 slides
2010 Ford Escape hybrid, Blue Ox Partiot brake
Larry & Trudy, 1 dog, 2 bikes, 2 kayaks
86 REPLIES 86

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
HydroGeo wrote:
..don't tell me nobody out there has never...pulled out without stowing the microwave tray!
Seriously? You take the MW tray out and put it somewhere else?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you are working off of a check list, I'd suggest for just quick overnight stops that you develop a second check list just for that purpose. I'd build it based on what you do for stopping at WalMart. Remember the less that is done to set up at night, the less that will have to be un-done in the morning to leave.

If it's just an overnight stop to sleep, really, almost nothing needs to be done. If the microwave needs to be run for leftovers, then you need either the generator for 10 - 20 minutes or hook up the shore power. Level for the refer and that's really about it. Lawn chairs might be nice to sit in and relax for a while, but that's only couple of minutes to get them in and out. If you have a pull through spot you shouldn't have to unhook the toad if you don't have to be in a certain place for the hook-ups. Even unhooking the toad is only a couple minute job.

You don't need to hook up water and sewer. You can take showers without them. This also saves time spotting the RV close enough to the connections. You shouldn't need to put out the slides except maybe the bedroom slide which takes about 10 seconds. You don't need the outside mat in front of the steps.

As others have said, if the DH is unloading the CW store, gently explain to him that all of the stuff isn't needed for one night. Are there things that he thinks he's doing just for you? Yes maybe you want them at your destination, but don't need them for a sleep stop?

Really, take your normal check list and make and Overnight List. You might want to work on this some before presenting it to DH so that you've had a chance to think about each item before putting it on the new list.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
HydroGeo wrote:
Both DH and I would like to reduce set-up time so we can travel further in a day. He isn't really happy with the amount of time but doesn't want to skip any steps either. As some of you have mentioned, OCD or perfectionism or whatever you call it does enter in. Also, he is a former military aviator, so he has checklists for a lot of things! Granted, if we skip a step RVing probably no one is going to die, as they might in flying, but on the other hand, we spent more for our coach then we did for our house , so we won't want to screw anything up. We take it out 5-6 times fee year and the longer between times, the slower things go. Don't tell me nobody out there has never left a water pressure regulator on a spigot or pulled out without stowing the microwave tray!

nope, I won't tell you that. I'm a general aviation pilot and am also used to check lists. I don't need one for hooking up but before we exit the campground or park we do execute a departure checklist that covers both inside and outside tasks. I don't use it while I'm doing the outside jobs but all of those jobs are on the departure checklist.

if you're new to RV'ing once your husband has set up camp a few times he will get into a rythym. the key is not to be interrupted while doing those chores. sometimes while I'm setting up or getting ready to leave a neighbor will stop by to chat, say hello/goodbye and so forth. when that happens I stop what I'm doing until the neighbor leaves and then I start from the beginning of the interrupted task. ALL of the mistakes I've made were due to interruptions.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

HydroGeo
Explorer
Explorer
Both DH and I would like to reduce set-up time so we can travel further in a day. He isn't really happy with the amount of time but doesn't want to skip any steps either. As some of you have mentioned, OCD or perfectionism or whatever you call it does enter in. Also, he is a former military aviator, so he has checklists for a lot of things! Granted, if we skip a step RVing probably no one is going to die, as they might in flying, but on the other hand, we spent more for our coach then we did for our house , so we won't want to screw anything up. We take it out 5-6 times fee year and the longer between times, the slower things go. Don't tell me nobody out there has never left a water pressure regulator on a spigot or pulled out without stowing the microwave tray!
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3849, 4 slides
2010 Ford Escape hybrid, Blue Ox Partiot brake
Larry & Trudy, 1 dog, 2 bikes, 2 kayaks

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
VinCee wrote:
If I were you, I'd do what needs to be done inside, make a beverage of each of your choosing, grab a bag chair or whatever and go take a seat outside telling hubby in words of endearment that his favorite drink is ready and waiting.

:S
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

VinCee
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe your husband is trying to tell you something. If I were you, I'd do what needs to be done inside, make a beverage of each of your choosing, grab a bag chair or whatever and go take a seat outside telling hubby in words of endearment that his favorite drink is ready and waiting. Besides that, let knock himself out if he wants to.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DSDP Don wrote:
What's the checklist for and why would you need one to set up camp. Are you going to forget to hook up water and electric.
OCD
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
HydroGeo....In your second post you note that you have a checklist. What's the checklist for and why would you need one to set up camp. Are you going to forget to hook up water and electric. Are you going to fall on your butt because the chair wasn't there. Throw the checklist away. The only time you need a checklist is when packing at home or maybe one for connecting the toad if it's complicated and you don't do it that often.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
15 mins max here. But if you're really in a hurry Thor has the new Rapid Camp system on almost all of their new MH's. Basically a handheld touch screen like a small tablet that allows you to remotely control, slides, jacks, generator, awnings, lights etc. Seems a little overkill but whatever. The RV industry is full of building things because they could not because they should. System like that might take normal Class A setup time from 15 minutes to 10. Who's in that much of a hurry? Once you pull into a site and have a beer in hand who cares how long it takes?
2013 ACE 29.2

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
15 minutes max. It is only as complicated as one makes it.

Pogoil.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
HydroGeo wrote:
Does anyone have any tips to shorten set-up time (besides just pulling into a WalMart parking lot!)? At the end of a day of driving, we usually spend about 1.5 hr setting up, which makes for a very long day. Hubby is very particular about checking the site, making sure power and water work, then we level, put slides out, etc.Then it's either unhook the toad and go out for dinner or microwave some leftovers. Reverse the process in the morning and we spend a lot of time on a travel day not traveling.

Simple,
Pull up look it over
Pull in or back in
Hook up water, sewer and electric
Hit the level button while taking sip of the drink the DW fixed while I hooked up.
Hit the button on one rear and one front slide, take a sip, repeat for other two slides.
Check for level.
Walk out and meet your new neighbors.

Total time 8-10 minutes.

I've been doing it like this for 15 years, no stress, and have even done it in 5 minutes or less if I skip the sips, but that would take the fun out of it.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
As was said, make a checklist. Refine it after a trip or two. I cannot understand 1-1/2 hours of leveling, etc. When we travel we do as others have said: If it is only an overnight or two I do not hook to anything but shore power. More than two days I hook up water and sewer as well. RVing is supposed to be fun and not tedium.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Setup time is pretty much what you make it. I've seen people with pop-up campers setup in 20 minutes, I've seen class As like yours take 2 hours. Depends how much "stuff" you have to put out, and how anal you are about leveling, etc.

With our hybrid trailer it takes us 20 minutes when we want it to, but usually it's an hour or so. We have a lot of******we put outside to make our stay more comfortable.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
HydroGeo wrote:

when we pull into a CG or park for just the night we park, level (using the HWH levelers) and then extend the slides. while my wife is taking care of the inside stuff I hookup just the elec and cable (if available). since we always travel with a full or nearly full fresh water tank we live off of that for the night instead of hooking up to the water. and I don't bother with the sewer.

I don't unhook the toad unless we're for sure going out to dinner (almost never on a travel day) and unless we're in very early and I plan to be outside to read for a while I don't deploy the awning.

this routine takes no more than 15-min on average.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
I believe I was camped next to the OP at a KOA near Buffalo, NY. That person spent 1/2 hour trying to park as level as possible and then another 1/2 hour setting up his water filtration system.