cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Depth Gauge?

jubymae
Explorer
Explorer
I just saw this gauge advertised in the new CW flyer. What and why does it measure tire depth? Is this measuring tread or entire tire depth????
Deluxe Member
RIG: 24 foot Chateau by Thor
Natural habitat area: The evergreen state (WA) to The sunshine and palm trees state (CA)
Manager and navigator: Annie (12 year old Maltese dog)
12 REPLIES 12

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Papasmurf10 wrote:
Beverly & Ken,

I will send you an official US tire tread measuring penny for only $19.95 plus $12.50 shipping and handling. But wait there's more!!! Act within the next 30 minutes and I will double your order for just the additional S&H.

Actually we have acquired a handful. Only cost us a couple a thousand dollars, been at Disney's Fort Wilderness for 2 weeks with grandsons.
Actually your shipping is quite reasonable compared to UPS and there cross border brokerage fees.

Beverley & Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put a (US) penny in the tread with Lincoln's head pointing toward the center of the tire. If the tread covers the top of Lincoln's head, the tread is OK.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Papasmurf10
Explorer
Explorer
Beverly & Ken,

I will send you an official US tire tread measuring penny for only $19.95 plus $12.50 shipping and handling. But wait there's more!!! Act within the next 30 minutes and I will double your order for just the additional S&H.
2008 Ford F-350 Laredo
2009 Montana 1465

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
mockturtle wrote:
Don't most tire failures come from the sidewalls rather than the tread, anyway? Certainly tread wear affects safe handling but I'll bet the sidewalls fail before the tread becomes thin enough to be a concern.

No. Most tire failures are "Belt leaving Belt Separations" - commonly called a "Tread Separation". Sidewall separations are virtually unheard of.

- BUT -

There are tire failures caused by road hazards - such a punctures - that are frequently mis-diagnosed. The most common is called a "Run Flat", where the tread detaches in the form of a hoop from the sidewalls - and as the name implies, the cause is a tire being operated with little or no inflation pressure. 90% of the time, there is a visible puncture - and the other 10% the damage is disguised in the sidewall damage.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think (at least some) new RV/LT tires are 12- or 14/32.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I was fleet maintenance officer for our dept's cruisers and always carried a tread gauge in my pocket. I was one of the worst to wear out tires as I had a reputation for never getting out of my car while on the job unless something happened. I also used the Lincoln Penny which works just as well. The reason we kept an eye on the tread is because we needed handling at all times and never worried about the sidewalls because the tread wore out long before the sidewalls.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Don't most tire failures come from the sidewalls rather than the tread, anyway? Certainly tread wear affects safe handling but I'll bet the sidewalls fail before the tread becomes thin enough to be a concern.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
SAR Tracker wrote:
The one I use only costs a penny, and it never wears out.:B
Unless you're in Canada. Our govt officially mothballed the penny earlier this year. We will have to figure the 2/32 mark on the nickel.

Beverley & Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
The one I use only costs a penny, and it never wears out.:B
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, but the gauges read in 1/32 increments. And the tire shops all talk in 1/32". If you go in and say "my tires are 3/16" instead of 6/32", they'll know you are a novice.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
As a former tire salesman, these tools were indispensable. The purpose is to measure the actual depth of the tread on the tire. You put the flange across two adjoining ribs of the tread, and then push the center piece down. Then, you pull the tool back out and read the tread depth. When a tire is at 2/32 of an inch, the wear bars should be showing. At that time, the tire is legally worn out. However, I'd really recommend replacing a tire long before it is that worn for your own safety. BTW, new tires for passenger cars are typically 11/32 of an inch or more, depending on the model. Most tire stores will have a "tire tread depth" chart available on their websites.

Uh. 2/32 wouldn't that be a sixteenth of an inch?:h
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
As a former tire salesman, these tools were indispensable. The purpose is to measure the actual depth of the tread on the tire. You put the flange across two adjoining ribs of the tread, and then push the center piece down. Then, you pull the tool back out and read the tread depth. When a tire is at 2/32 of an inch, the wear bars should be showing. At that time, the tire is legally worn out. However, I'd really recommend replacing a tire long before it is that worn for your own safety. BTW, new tires for passenger cars are typically 11/32 of an inch or more, depending on the model. Most tire stores will have a "tire tread depth" chart available on their websites.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)