cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire pressure

Blemaire
Explorer
Explorer
We are purchasing a 2006 jayco escapade . Motorhome. What is the purpose of going weigh it? How do you know exactly what it's suppose to weigh? Also how do I know how much air that each tire should have ? Should we just follow what's on the tire ?
3 REPLIES 3

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which Escapade model? We have a 31A and weight-wise it's a mixed blessing. The long wheelbase of 218" keeps the rear axle from being overloaded. It also means there's enough weight on the front axle for decent tracking on the road. But Escapade (at least our 2002) has a steel subframe for the house, so it's heavier than it looks for a coach with no slides.
Get yours weighed for all the reasons noted above, but I'll tell you that our weights are roughly 4500 front and 9000 rear, loaded for camping with 2 POB.
Here is Michelin's RV Tire Load/Pressure Chart . Works with all brands of the same size and load rating.
Be sure to select Single or Dual and double their weights if you have Axle Weights and not Corner Weights. Most Truck Stop Scales (CAT Scale) can do only Axle.
Your front axle capacity should be 4600-pounds. That means that the Front Tires should be inflated to no more than 65-psi.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
The thread on this page under 'Michelin Tire Pressures' is relevant, whether or not you have Michelin tires.

Jim, "I'm not hard of hearing. I'm hard of listening."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
You weigh for two reasons:

1 - to determine that you are not overweight for your axles and tires. There should be weight specs for your unit available somewhere.

2 - to determine tire pressures using the tire manufacturers pressure tables, which can be found on the net.

Also look at the date codes on your tires. If they are original to the rig it is past time to replace them.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure