cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires again

mscamping
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to get new steer tires, maybe.. These are 5 1/2 years old by manufacture date and we hate to head South for the winter on them, are we being foolish?? They are GY 670.. I can't see the price for Michelins.. We won't get GY's again.. We didn't, so far, have any trouble with them, except we couldn't get them to run smooth.. What's anyones thoughts.. Thanks for your replies.. Mike Mathews..
They are covered all the time we're parked, and treated with 303 about every 5 or 6 months..
We winter in Florida most of the time, we have been to Texas and would like to go back..
Size is 275x70x22.5 H rated..
Just got a quote for Hankook at $500 each out the door.. Bridgestone $829.23 each..
Michelin start out at $738 with the FMCA discount without add-ons and we're having trouble finding a dealer that will do this..
2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune 36 PBD - ISB 300 Cummins- Allison MH2000 5 speed
2013 Equinox w/Blue Ox Aventa II & SMI Stay-n-Play Duo
FMCA 331658 HRRVC 105155 Chapter - 57- Good Sam Life Member - Coach Net - 3/4 timers
Mike & Sharon
39 REPLIES 39

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
maznchle wrote:
hi mscamping, I replaced my g670's six mo's ago with hankook h11's. Is i replaced the steer tires at 32k miles and it rode so much better so a few more mo's later i replaced the rears and i am so happy after 2,000 miles. I waited too long and you might want to change em before your trip south. Mine ran 413. 00 ea, out the door so shop around and watch the DOT and get ones no more than 4 mo's if poss. paul

What SIZE for that price?
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

maznchle
Explorer
Explorer
hi mscamping, I replaced my g670's six mo's ago with hankook h11's. Is i replaced the steer tires at 32k miles and it rode so much better so a few more mo's later i replaced the rears and i am so happy after 2,000 miles. I waited too long and you might want to change em before your trip south. Mine ran 413. 00 ea, out the door so shop around and watch the DOT and get ones no more than 4 mo's if poss. paul

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone, anyone, post a factual explanation of what makes Michelin a superior tire to any other brand..:?.. Not your feelings or a uncle said reason, just facts please.....

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
If you've taken reasonably good care of them (properly inflated, min exposure to the sun, no application of petroleum based chemicals, etc) then you should have no problems with 5 1/2 year old tires. However, you need to do what makes you comfortable.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
3 weeks ago my 8 1/2 year old 22.5" G670's made it from the North to the South with no problem. Next spring at 9 they will head North.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I run GY670s on the rear and tag with Michelins on the steer axle. IMHO, best of both worlds....Dennis

BTW...when we were in Cross Hill, SC, we visited the Michelin test facility. Very impressive....Dennis

Test Track and Proving Grounds

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

CaptainJack51
Explorer
Explorer
If you are a member of FMCA you can get a very good price on Michelins through their program with participating dealers. I just purchased a set of 6 275/80R22.5 XZE for $3727.98 mounted balanced etc. Keep in mind, the tires are all you have keeping a 30 to 40 thousand pound vehicle safely on the road so do not skimp on tires.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm happy with the HANKOOK tires on our 96 Southwind. I'll buy them again.

blangen
Explorer
Explorer
ESPECIALLY for steer tires, I buy only the BEST tire no matter what the price. As everyone has their own idea about which is the "best" tire, I won't swat the grizzly bear by stating mine. But... the point is... especially in light of recent (and repeated) media stories about buss rollovers, steer tires is not the place to save money.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Where is "south" for the winter? The best price we could find in the US for our MH was at Purcell Tire on Gila Ridge Rd in Yuma. Their out the door price even beat the best price I could find in OR, even with the AZ tax. 5½ years is not to old for a trip south. I just changed my rear 8½ year old G670's a month ago. Now have Hankook AH-12 tires on all 6 and love them.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today